Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2017, 06:14   #286

Boat: Lagoon 400S2
Re: Couple and dogs rescued after months at sea

They do not need to tell fairy tales to shine or show off.
This is their fault, not a gender issue.

There are many exceptional achievements of women around the world, nobody doubt this. Even a mother that feeds educates and raises her children properly is a hero.

No need for this discussion either.

This two are just a bad example - not in that they managed to survive, but in the unbelievable fantasy stories they tell.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:43   #287

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
This two are just a bad example - not in that they managed to survive, but in the unbelievable fantasy stories they tell.

I believe that if one wants to fabricate a story it should at least be plausible. I could spin a tale about sailing and it would be hard to debunk. I'd not be inclined to do so about landing a 747. I suppose a liar's tale reflects on both the liar's perception of the audience as well as their perception of their own knowledge base. This dingbat missed both marks.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:31   #288
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzcruiser View Post
As the saying goes: the sea (and this forum) knows no mercy...
There are times for mercy and there are times when accountability is needed. In this case I think the need for accountability is predominant.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:32   #289

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
I started out gender irrelevant in my consideration, too. But I think wolfgal had a good point.

She is a woman, and a blonde, and she's also a sweet person if she was only disappointed at the perpetrators of this hoax. The whole situation makes me feel angry.

Ann
Wifey B: I'm a blonde female as well and it royally p...es me off to see someone trying to scam the public while costing us at the same time. Makes every sailor look bad. Makes every woman look bad. Makes every dog look bad too for not biting those other two b...es. I put this right in with the people faking cancer to collect funds or all those with fundme accounts after a tornado hits their area because they lost everything, when, in fact, their house wasn't touched. Once had a teacher whining in the lunch hall, didn't even have money to feed her kids and all this stuff, horrible husband had lost his job. I felt horrible saying "no" but I knew not to trust her. Well, she collected a bunch and a couple of days later was talking about the new stereo they just bought. I sure had a bunch of people telling me I was right.

There are too many real people in real need for us to put up with such scammers. I wish we'd have some creative prosecutor like McCoy on Law and Order to go after them. There are millions of Americans in Puerto Rico so in need of help and these two girls have the audacity to get help.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:54   #290

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
There are millions of Americans in Puerto Rico so in need of help and these two girls have the audacity to get help.
Bingo! I can't improve on what you wrote, so I'll just repeat it.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:02   #291

Boat: crawling back aboard: getting over long vax/covid!

Quote:
Wifey B: There are millions of Americans in Puerto Rico so in need of help and these two girls have the audacity to get help.
I'll BINGO that too! Well put!
Old 02-11-2017, 08:31   #292

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
You guys crack me up. Is it just possible that they are just telling the truth? I’m the paranoid type and even I realize that the majority of people are honest.
Wifey B: No, not possible.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:37   #293

Wifey B: Someone suggested they should be asked about important topics like anchors.

Wrong. They should be asked about their miracle skin creams and beauty products that stood up to those winds and that they were able to carry a year's supply in a small makeup case, on and about that case that protected better than a humidor against the moisture. Then their hair care products? A lot of people walk outdoors in summer and have frizz. Others with dry ends. They seem to have encountered none of this in months out there. They could make millions promoting this miracle line.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:13   #294

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Wrong. They should be asked about their miracle skin creams and beauty products that stood up to those winds...
LOL, forget all that mumbo-jumbo about impossible storms, currents, waves, shark behavior and unused EPIRBs.

The story really crumbles because of their glaring makeup and toiletry inconsistencies.

But it's true. For many of us, their condition and attitude upon "rescue" was what set us on the path of looking for other inconsistencies to back up our initial gut feel that these two were lying.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:24   #295

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
LOL, forget all that mumbo-jumbo about impossible storms, currents, waves, shark behavior and unused EPIRBs.

The story really crumbles because of their glaring makeup and toiletry inconsistencies.

But it's true. For many of us, their condition and attitude upon "rescue" was what set us on the path of looking for other inconsistencies to back up our initial gut feel that these two were lying.
Wifey B: Look at all the cops shows like Live PD and see how often the behavior of people leads to them looking further and digging deeper. How often is it, "why are you acting so nervous?" Well, we observe and their appearance and speech just didn't match the story. Then you ask questions and the more they talk the less believable it is. Sometimes appearance and speech are misleading and you then find nothing else that shows and issue, but most of the time they talk too much and give them. The more they talk, the less believable their story. They gave way too many specifics to get by with it. The storm could easily be checked. The 30' Tiger Shark attacking their boat? Sounds like a fishing story of the one that got away. Having them on a show and being able to ask more and watch as they fabricated answers would be so fun. Like, where did the dogs pee and poop? How did you dispose of it? Did they ever jump or fall in the water? Did you ever swim? Did you have a year's worth of dog food for 2 dogs or feed them rice? Are you two a couple? Did you have fights on board? Tell us about them. Think you'll break up now? Then the makeup and skin care stories. Oh, and we knew with our boat we couldn't get in to the islands.

The thing that gets me is that with all the time they had, couldn't they have formulated a better story?

Now, maybe reputation isn't important to them, but if you google their names ten years from now, all you'll see is girls who made up story about time on the ocean.

They are getting their 15 minutes, just not sure it's going like they hoped. Too many real rescues needed for them to think it's a cute little game.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:32   #296

Wifey B: I think the real story might have actually been interesting. Ok, we had no sailing experience and thought we'd at least try and have a good story to write about. We started and got scared and went back to land but no one saw us so we started again. We didn't know what we were doing but were ok. However, after a bit we decided to maybe call on the radio since we really didn't know where we were by this time. We were scared to use the Epirb because we'd heard you only did that if your life was in danger. Clearly we weren't as we had plenty to eat and had water. We could have probably moved but we were too lost. So, we figured some one would come to us at some point if we called. We were hoping for two hot guys out sailing and maybe one of them in our boat and one of us in theirs. We didn't want to get the CG involved on our silly undertaking. We'd just never done anything like it and thought it would be fun. Oh a 10' Tiger Shark came close once when we had dumped some dog poo but had no interest in our boat. That's when we thought we could make him huge in our book and have him attacking our boat.

I don't know, but just to hear what they really did and why. I'm sure they'll never tell us though.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:50   #297

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Quote:
Wifey B: The thing that gets me is that with all the time they had, couldn't they have formulated a better story?
Not to needlessly bring up a very sad story, but Donald Crowhurst really had 99% of this one figured.. he had the alternate logs.. even used considerable skill to back-calculate what altitudes and bearings of stars he would have shot if he'd been where he'd claimed he was (while make fabulous day averages). His only real downfall was that:
a) he got spotted off the coast of Brazil in a very distinctively designed (and named) vessel, and;
b) so many people fell out of the race due to dismastings etc or spiritualistic wondering, that he ended up in the position of either winning or coming in 2nd.. either way, when finishing the race (to save his house/bankruptcy) he knew that his logs etc would come under the diligent eyes of the race marshalls.. and he knew his story didn't hand together 100%..

Like you say, not much effort seems to have gone into putting quantitative measurements into the height of this tall story.. reminds me of the near-unconsciously drunk sailor in the port-tavern who regales the listeners with tales of a shark attack, and how he lost his leg, only to glace down to see both legs still very much there...
Old 02-11-2017, 11:09   #298

Quote:
Originally Posted by _andi_ View Post
Maybe Lisa Blair should start giving courses for ocean sailing, even if you loose your mast there are still options available...

btw: The recent episode of SV Delos where they run into Lisa Blair coming into Cape Town with her jury rig is fantastic.. her very nonchalant description of the weather she'd been in, and what needed fixing to limp back to land, was outstanding.. total understatement - true "right stuff" !
Old 02-11-2017, 11:49   #299
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

From this morning
https://gizmodo.com/experts-question...-st-1820070323
Old 02-11-2017, 12:28   #300

Quote:
Originally Posted by _andi_ View Post
For the benefit of this forum and the thread, I pulled the automated 'closed caption' text feed from the youtube video and stripped all the XML out of it - hence the absence of punctuation etc. (any errors or omissions will be the result of the youtube transcription). I'd missed the "towing" detail and the White-squall bit the first time I watched..Interesting read:

****start of feed****

when we saw you guys coming over the horizon it was like oh god we've been saved it was the most amazing feeling because we honestly did not believe that we would survive another 24 hours in the current situation
we had no idea what to expect but when we saw that big gray ship coming it was just relief
it was
we thought I'd we had a bad during the entire trip it's been that 24 hours of being towed ha ha ha
kid you not that was the scariest moment in the entire trip
and when we saw you guys it was like are we gonna be saved
because it's been a couple hours and when we saw you in on the horizon we were just like yes
hey
and then when we heard you and you're like Xena, Xena we're just like can you hear us

hasn't really yes we can an' just like we're being saved
and then you kept going past us and we had to call your bridge and say do you realize that we are in your Stern starboard and you have passed us and they said yes that's part of our procedure okay we're gonna make it

because after so many times of having people turn away from us after hearing us we're just like please please pleasepleasepleasepleas realize that we're still here and when it was confirmed we're just
like okay just checkin'

Interviewer: Inaudible question

eternally grateful

Interviewer: "tell me about the plan of the trip when y'all start it out, where you started?"

we started in Honolulu Hawaii we started, in Honolulu Hawaii on May 3rd 2017 and we planned a roughly 18 day moderate cruise speed trip to Tahiti, Moorea and Pape'ete and from there we

wanted to actually just travel around the 20,000 or so islands in the South Pacific. we expected the trip to take roughly six months because by November you have to leave that area for hurricane season so we knew that we would be back in Hawaii by October

Interviewer: "When did it all go wrong?"

the first night, the first night we got into a force 11 storm and it lasted for two nights and three days
and when we were through with that we were empowered to know that we we could withstand the forces of nature the boat could withstand the forces of nature and we decided not to return back to Hawaii but to continue on in our journey because we believe that everything quote unquote shook out and we'd be alright when the passage
it's better the spreader actually the, bolt holding the spreader to the the root collar at the mast yeah and we realized that it was starting to shake and about 700 miles away from Hawaii it
finally went clink and I said okay we can probably nurse it you know down to the next major island in Kiribati then we'll be able to stop there and seek safe haven and get up on the mast and fix it but when we got to karabati the boat was too big to get into their Lagoon so we decided to continue to travel south we were a little we were more than 600 miles off course at this point so we decided to go to the Cooks and upon entering that area we found ourselves in a ten knot current going west with the only the ability to sail at four knots going east so we were
travelling backwards and we knew that most of those islands in the upper chain are small atolls reefs

but we decided to turn around and go back north whereupon we got into a white squall and
it was a pretty serious around the end of May 25th and the storm was had dropped copious amounts of water and it flooded the cockpit which actually ended up flooding the ignition and the starter
for the boat so we no longer had that ability to start the motor and we got pushed into what's called the devil's triangle and is an area 160 west and about zero degrees at the equator where
boats go in but they very rarely come out and if they do there are no people on them and we learned that that was a tiger shark location and the tiger sharks figured that we had entered their living room and we were not leaving fast enough and they decided to let us know it was time
to proceed forward but us being the landlubbers that we have been and the greenhorns in the sailing world did not understand their language

Interviewer: "When did you all realize you would not be going to Tahiti?"

the 10 knot current, before we turn before we turned around to come back north

oh yeah yeah was still a may - when I went all night pointing East and going West that she was like we're not going to right direction and it wasn't until her shift when she was during the day and she was like we've been pointing east this entire day going west and I was like thank you because I thought I was going crazy

Interviewer: "How did y'all survive? supplies etc - tell us about that"

we had 2 water makers and the first one failed and we put the second one in and then then it up cobbling pieces from the first one to make the second one work and we had been told by people who had sailed this route before that you could run into some serious problems and if we thought we only needed a month of food to pack three and we figured we might need three months of food so we packed at least six what I thought if we judiciously spared our supplies would last a year and we've used 90% of them in six months yep

Interviewer: "and what was the food?"

we had dry-goods yes we found the cans don't work so beef jerky oatmeal rice pasta dried fruits nuts pretty much a vegan and vegetarian diet is what we survive on yes we did run out of dog food and the dog turned out to really like human food a lot maybe just read lock isn't like my jacket

Interviewer: "what were your emotions when you stepped on the ship?"

how do you describe the color blue to a blind man?
relief and elation and joy and utter sadness because that was our life that was home she built that for the last two and a half years it was a brief boat and she made she made my hair in your mouth what do you need not me everything okay like I was saying she spent two and a half years building that boat and everyone was laughing at her saying oh this is not what you do but she knew in her head it's like this is mine this is my life people told me throughout my entire life I couldn't do anything Here I am like she couldn't like Matt. okay don't go there she took something that was broken and made it home it saved our lives multiple times throughout this whole entire trip and the utter despaired having to leave her so yeah we were really relieved that you guys were here

but Limpy was our baby and she's strong and we have the bill John and we're just hoping to get her back

because we weren't sure if we were gonna get ??? at 0600 and have to stand up and do jumping jacks and run around or if we were gonna be quarantined into a tiny corner we knew that we'd be the new kids on the block and that everybody would know who we are we don't know anybody else and we don't know the rules or anything and we knew that stories would fly that had nothing to do with the actual truth and the people would come up to us you know it's kind of sideways would be like we earned here from China no but but you guys opened your arms and your hearts to us and gave us things like toothbrushes and soap and and helped us figure out how to get from place to place on the boat and you're so human and pure and clean I mean wow I've never seen anything well okay okay

laughs

ok ok my bathroom on the boat is as clean as yeah but just about nothing else in the world in a million years

I was joking with someone about ten years ago and they asked what happens when you go out to sea and you get broken
and I said oh the Navy would come save me.. no lie .. it really happened...

we're so grateful humbled

Tags
dogs, men, rescue