Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2017, 18:03   #271
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub
Re: Couple and dogs rescued after months at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
You guys crack me up. Is it just possible that they are just telling the truth? Iím the paranoid type and even I realize that the majority of people are honest.

I always like to fall back on Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

People can be telling the truth as they see it and still be WAY wrong. This often happens when they have no clue what they are talking about. For example, they said they were in a Force 11 storm. What experience of a Force 11 storm have they? Do they even know what a Force 11 storm is? Can they state their methodology of how they determined it was such? Most likely not nor could they recite the Beaufort Scale and the visual clues on the sea for judging them. I'm not sure I could accurately for that matter. i rarely use them. I just use my anemometer. Most likely it was REALLY SCARY for them and they were freaking out. Yup! Definitely a Force 11! Maybe they were under sail at that point and WAAAAAY overpowered and no clue what a reef is. Whoa! We are in a Force 11 storm.

I think every crazy story they told can be summed up by them watching too many YouTube sailing channels and thinking they were experts after learning a few salty terms and watching others succeeding. Yup, sailing is easy. This is all consistent with the Dunning-Kruger effect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunnin...3Kruger_effect

As for not using their EPIRB I think this makes sense too. They had plenty of water, food, shelter from the sun and they really believed they could just drift their way to a safe landfall eventually. We all know that setting off your beacon in the middle of the ocean to be rescued pretty much means losing the boat. They are going to rescue you and the boat gets left. They were so in denial about losing the boat that even after being rescued they hoped they could find it again and fix it up. Come on folks, you couldn't find land with the boat. How in the heck are you going to find a boat, a moving target in the middle of the ocean?

Then there are the dogs. I bet they feared for the dogs as well when it came to using the EPIRB beacon. Would they take the dogs if they got rescued by a chopper? Yes, no, maybe? Enough of an unknown to not want to use it until they didn't have no other choice. Drifting was working so far as long as they had food.
Old 01-11-2017, 19:00   #272

Boat: Roberts 45

As the saying goes: the sea (and this forum) knows no mercy...

https://www.timantra.net
Old 01-11-2017, 19:13   #273

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

[QUOTE=skipmac;2511053]Not possible. Did you see the interview? Appel claimed they were in a storm the day they left Hawaii that didn't exist. Confirmed by NWS and others. She claimed they were caught in a 10 kt current in the ocean that pushed them away from Tahiti. No such thing in the ocean.

Interesting thread
what is factual and what is not?
I was interested from a navigational point of view how a boat could be going South(Hawaii to Tahiti) and end up North and West(close to Japan).
Well,pulled my trusted Cornell and checked the section on North Pacific currents.
actually one could get into the North Equatorial current and hitch a ride with the Kuro Shio current,and presto there is Japan depending of course WHERE the boat IS? to begin with,and that is the 20 cents question.
Actually these currents can develop "high speeds" on a relative way of thinking.
Speed of Ocean Currents - The Physics Factbook
https://www.britannica.com/science/equatorial-current.
Old 01-11-2017, 20:06   #274
cruiser

Appel sure looks like Lance Armstrong. Maybe he’s gone off the roids.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D5A80647-3F8A-430A-958A-41F559EEFADD.jpeg
Views:	166
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	158687   Click image for larger version

Name:	751E3506-8389-49CA-8867-377B3F66E0A8.jpeg
Views:	165
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	158688  

Old 01-11-2017, 20:15   #275
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Really have to wonder why some are fascinated, even obsessed by such peripheral issues?
Old 01-11-2017, 20:28   #276

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

At this point in this thread I for one would really find it a welcome and refreshing change to now see a list of all the hundreds of women who are now sailing, and who have in the past sailed, very happily and successfully all over the world without a headline or recognition, who solved all the problems that came their way without anyone noticing and who demonstrate how to skillfully plan and prepare for a voyage without any publicity.
We really need to see some balance with reality.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 02-11-2017, 00:11   #277
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

In a majority of the comments that I've seen, the fact that the sailors were women was not a significant issue. The discussions don't focus on their sex, but on the implausibility of their story. Female sailors are still somewhat a rarity (certainly less common than male sailors), so naturally that aspect deserves a mention. Yes, some people do talk about "women sailors" in a disparaging manner, but these folks seem to be in the decided minority.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Old 02-11-2017, 03:09   #278

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Well, this is a bad co-incidence, that this two are woman and some people here generalize it to gender - but to give them some credit - the blonde seems to be the "man" in the couple's relationship.

I guess, a man would not try to make up such fiction horror story that can be easily dismantled without some good evidence - he would instead "prepare" the boat to look really like in a distress situation prior arrival of the NAVY - may be blowing some fuses / wires on the communication panel and doing some mess on the rigging / engine to show off some desperate efforts of repair trials and fails.

He would also have activated the EPIRB when finished.

Men tend to act while women talk.

I guess a couple of men would just say, engine failed, repair does not work at sea because of missing spare parts, tried to sail, been accidentally hit by a squall at night / electronics damaged by lightning, rig got damaged too - then drifting all the time, trying to repair ourselves to reach shore - we had enough provision on board and the hull was OK, so no life in danger yet - finally after 4 month giving up the efforts and using EPIRB / distress call.

Nobody would doubt this story and they would be heroes.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:21   #279

Boat: Parker Super Seal 26

@CatNewBee: geez, these are quite some bs gender stereotypes, I'm lacking words here.

For one male example doing the same stunt look up donald crowhurst.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:43   #280

There are douches among men too.

This behavior is not by gender but by socialization. I do not blame genetics, I blame the society. It is about how we raise our kids, girls get fairy tales books and Barbies - boys get cars and action figures, girls go cheer-leading, boys play rugby and football.

This stereotypes are founded deep inside in our cultures for centuries. Man go out fishing / hunting / fighting, while women take care of the cave / hut / the children - everybody has his core competencies that are not questioned by the other. Beside the physical attraction - this is why marriages last some times life long.

This is why we love each other, we complement our skills. If there is no difference between men and women - why would we commit to engage and become a family with the opposite sex at all?

I think the concept of being different worked for ages and proved to be efficient - finally the human population development on earth shows this very impressive. I love the differences. Those gender equality PC politics mayhem destroys the society.

Don't get me wrong. Women should have and in many countries already do have equal rights and equal chances to chose and set their priorities in life as men have too. They can make a career like a man and also change the roles in their family.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:10   #281

Boat: Parker Super Seal 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
There are douches among men too.
yep, can't argue with that...

regarding the hunter/gatherer point: nope...

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...ual-scientists

so lets just try to be a better society and stop pushing women into weird stereotypes by trying to justify them with unrelated facts, shall we?
Old 02-11-2017, 05:08   #282

Well, there are a lot of bullsh*t scientific studies out there...

But I agree on the "better" society - what ever that means.
Guess everybody has a different view on this topic too.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:33   #283

Boat: Valiant 40

Well the New York Times picked up the story this morning, focusing on all the doubt that is now being heaped on the women's account of what happened.

I never caught this part before but evidently they are claiming that the adult sharks were training two younger sharks how to attack, and spent a week studying the boat before making their assault.

I'm now thinking that there's some serious crazy or at least cognitive deficiencies at work in this pair. You'd think if you'd stocked a year's worth of food that you'd at least take a supply of your meds but clearly they did not take any given that they started hallucinating immediately, running into that nonexistent storm the first day out.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:43   #284

Well they were in the "Devils triangle" - you never know what happens there in this mystic area...
Old 02-11-2017, 06:04   #285

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
A comment re the gender identification thing:

Do you think that there would have been as much to-do about this "rescue" if the sailors had been men? I don't! The headlines said things like "Two women and two dogs rescued" etc, not "two sailors". I suspect this is simply because there are societal expectations that exclude women from some activities, and ocean sailing is one of them, so their gender is significant... and will be noted by readers (or viewers).

And I'm afraid that as the hoax is unraveled and exposed, that gender identity will not go away, so, yeah, I'm afraid that it will shed an unfavorable light on women sailors in general. I'm not directly affected, obviously, but I share Ann's and Wolfie's anger at these two would-be con artists.

I'm a bit surprised (but pleased) that the CG is coming out publicly to denounce them. I wonder if that will affect the "sale" of their story in the future?

Jim
I never really considered gender an issue in sailing until at a pre-race party for an ocean race I overheard some guy disparaging the notion of women skippers and getting nods of agreement in his little conversation circle. I stood there a bit stunned, eye blinking, trying to make some sense of it, much as I would if they were talking about the earth being flat.

It so happened that my skipper for that race was a women. We came in second, well ahead of that group I overheard. When called up during the awards ceremony the skipper wanted all of us to join her. I said "No, because we're mostly men and your accomplishment will be diminished if we do. You go up alone. It's important." We clapped and whistled from the front row. I hope it made an impression and fueled some consciousness raising that night.

All-women crews have competed at an extremely high level in racing for years...America's Cup, Volvo, etc. They may not have won (those events, they certainly have others), but they're competing against the best professional sailors in the world and have held their own. I'm sure they could sail circles around 99% of male sailors, certainly me).

As for the CG casting doubt on this couple, I'm pretty sure they view it as a teaching moment, as a way of helping prevent more incidents like this from happening in future.
Closed Thread

Tags
dogs, men, rescue