Cruisers Forum
 


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2017, 17:01   #241
Registered User
 
goat's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Everywhere (Sea of Cortez right now)
Boat: PSC Orion 27
Posts: 1,378
Re: Couple and dogs rescued after months at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
It's the dogs, Jim. Now imagine if they'd have had cats! Viral!!
Or if they had to rescue this guy....Click image for larger version

Name:	sailing-chicken-guy-monique-guirec-soudeel-8.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	158643
goat is offline  
Old 31-10-2017, 17:07   #242
Registered User
 
Cavalier's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Boat: Beneteau 461 47'
Posts: 927
Images: 1
Re: Couple and dogs rescued after months at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
Or if they had to rescue this guy....Attachment 158643
The chicken world would have rejoiced at the outlandish notion of a single-handed oceanic chicken sailing with a simple human: A year's worth of grain takes only a modicum of stowage - a year's worth of taco-bell, on the other hand...
__________________
"By day the hot sun fermented us; and we were dizzied by the beating wind. At night we were stained by dew, and shamed into pettiness by the innumerable silences of stars."
Cavalier is offline  
Old 31-10-2017, 17:33   #243
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 12,220
Re: Couple and dogs rescued after months at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
The chicken world would have rejoiced at the outlandish notion of a single-handed oceanic chicken sailing with a simple human: A year's worth of grain takes only a modicum of stowage - a year's worth of taco-bell, on the other hand...
2 months worth of freeze dried refried beans will fit in a #10can and add a 1/2 gallon bucket of flour. You got burritos.
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline  
Old 31-10-2017, 17:39   #244
Moderator
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 21,299
Re: Couple and dogs rescued after months at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
2 months worth of freeze dried refried beans will fit in a #10can and add a 1/2 gallon bucket of flour. You got burritos.
And the dogs, with their keen sense of smell, would jump overboard...

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II, lying Port Cygnet Tasmania once again.
Jim Cate is offline  
Old 31-10-2017, 17:45   #245
cruiser

Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Solaris Sunrise Sport 36’
Posts: 176
Re: Couple and dogs rescued after months at sea

I keep checking back on this thread just hoping the next media interview will pose really important questions for these two “sailors” such as, in no particular order of significance.......

What kind of anchor they chose and why?

Why they were in a prone to sinking/keel losing monohull and not in a soon to be capsized multi-hull with out the appropriately built and installed watertight bulkheads?

Lastly, what kind of guns they had on board?

Now these are questions I am certain they could help provide educated answers to.
Jahwork is offline  
Old 31-10-2017, 17:55   #246
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Fiji Airways/ Lake Ontario
Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
Posts: 2,750
Images: 11
Re: Couple and dogs rescued after months at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgal View Post
being a female sailor, (with my share of copper-blond hair), i work hard to gain respect. every decision i make needs to be the right one. i beat myself up over little stuff... heaven forbid that some guy sees me mess up and tells himself i'm just another stupid blonde.

Whooooahhhh. Discounting your actual sailing ability (or lack thereof but giving you the benefit of the doubt) maybe you're in the wrong location.

We LOVE female sailors. We had a local all female race crew, and nobody laughed at them. We WANT more female sailors- they're not screamers, they listen to skipper's instructions, and get the job done.

I have never said "SHE should find another hobby" or "SHE is a complete moron." I can make no such claim concerning men.

So don't get so wound up about how men perceive your sailing ability.

I do like to tease my very left-leaning neighbor when some boater does something really dumb with "he must be a democrat". But truth be told, it's only in jest, because leftists/democrats seem to sail just fine. Somehow.

These two though are scam artists. That they are women is immaterial. That they are fruitcake snowflakes, I'll give that some credit for both the lack of ground in reality and incompetence. But ultimately they are both inept and liars, and frankly I think (despite non-PC jokes which really are in jest) you'd have a difficult time finding anyone who seriously thinks that the situation has anything to do with being female and blonde.
Tetepare is offline  
Old 31-10-2017, 17:56   #247
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 12,220
Re: Couple and dogs rescued after months at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
And the dogs, with their keen sense of smell, would jump overboard...

Jim
my hounds would have fought me for them . They loved Mexican food .
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline  
Old 31-10-2017, 18:10   #248
Registered User
 
DumnMad's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Nelson NZ; boat in Coffs Harbour
Boat: 45ft Ketch
Posts: 1,561
Re: Couple and dogs rescued after months at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Whooooahhhh. Discounting your actual sailing ability (or lack thereof but giving you the benefit of the doubt) maybe you're in the wrong location.

We LOVE female sailors. We had a local all female race crew, and nobody laughed at them. We WANT more female sailors- they're not screamers, they listen to skipper's instructions, and get the job done.

I have never said "SHE should find another hobby" or "SHE is a complete moron." I can make no such claim concerning men.

So don't get so wound up about how men perceive your sailing ability.

I do like to tease my very left-leaning neighbor when some boater does something really dumb with "he must be a democrat". But truth be told, it's only in jest, because leftists/democrats seem to sail just fine. Somehow.

These two though are scam artists. That they are women is immaterial. That they are fruitcake snowflakes, I'll give that some credit for both the lack of ground in reality and incompetence. But ultimately they are both inept and liars, and frankly I think (despite non-PC jokes which really are in jest) you'd have a difficult time finding anyone who seriously thinks that the situation has anything to do with being female and blonde.
DumnMad is offline  
Old 31-10-2017, 18:12   #249
Senior Cruiser
 
hpeer's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Between Caribbean and Canada
Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Posts: 8,677
Re: Couple and dogs rescued after months at sea

I don’t know if this is remotely possible BUT.....

SUPPOSE they weren’t “out there”. Suppose there were “somewhere” and the boat just got all this crud on the bottom sitting in some backwater harbor. The. They cast off, spent a week or three mucking around until they were ready and orchastrated a “rescue.”

We all “believe” they were really drifting about. But with as many falsities as this story has why not question the very premis.
hpeer is offline  
Old 31-10-2017, 18:20   #250
Registered User
 
maijipo's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Bellingham WA
Boat: Tartan 33
Posts: 184
Re: Couple and dogs rescued after months at sea

From this article of Radio Canada it seems they tried to continue to sail to Tahiti but missed the island and after 2 months realized they were...lost. Not much others details.

Après 5 mois de dérive dans le Pacifique, deux naufragées sont*rescapées | ICI.Radio-Canada.ca
maijipo is offline  
Old 31-10-2017, 18:25   #251
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Fiji Airways/ Lake Ontario
Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
Posts: 2,750
Images: 11
Re: Couple and dogs rescued after months at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I don’t know if this is remotely possible BUT.....

SUPPOSE they weren’t “out there”. Suppose there were “somewhere” and the boat just got all this crud on the bottom sitting in some backwater harbor. The. They cast off, spent a week or three mucking around until they were ready and orchastrated a “rescue.”

We all “believe” they were really drifting about. But with as many falsities as this story has why not question the very premis.

That is ABSOLUTELY what happened. They spent a lot of time somewhere, and it wasn't in the middle of nowhere. Granted, they did cover a lot of ground...under power until they ran out of fuel and money, and then later under sail. But I guarantee they spent some time enjoying island life somewhere with people that took care of their lazy snowflake rears feeding them. Their entire story is a lie. Don't you worry, Dingbat #2 will come clean and tell the whole story once Dingbat #1 dumps her.
Tetepare is offline  
Old 31-10-2017, 18:53   #252
cruiser

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pangaea
Posts: 10,856
Re: Couple and dogs rescued after months at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I understand and speak some dog although their accent was difficult at times. From what I’ve been told, Zeuss is very embarrassed about the entire situation, being forced to dress up in that ridiculous lime green dress and pretend to be stranded on the boat. He longs for the solitude enjoyed just prior to departing the Philippines and being forced to participate in this charade.

He hates oatmeal and pasta... it gives him diarrhea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I don’t know if this is remotely possible BUT.....

SUPPOSE they weren’t “out there”. Suppose there were “somewhere” and the boat just got all this crud on the bottom sitting in some backwater harbor. The. They cast off, spent a week or three mucking around until they were ready and orchastrated a “rescue.”

We all “believe” they were really drifting about. But with as many falsities as this story has why not question the very premis.
You must have missed post #136, when I discussed this issue with Zeuss. Also, the closest thing he witnessed resembling a "tiger shark attack" was when saw the two knuckleheads fighting over a box of Frosted Flakes.
Kenomac is offline  
Old 31-10-2017, 20:13   #253
Registered User
 
Plangstraat's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Victoria British Columbia
Boat: Beneteau 321
Posts: 38
Re: Couple and dogs rescued after months at sea

Interesting News Story

http://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/vi...r&_gsc=I2lJePN
Plangstraat is offline  
Old 31-10-2017, 20:18   #254
Moderator
 
Don C L's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Channel Islands, CA
Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Posts: 14,585
Images: 66
Re: Couple and dogs rescued after months at sea

Hey all, just a heads up. As this seems to be shaking out none too nicely for these 2, let's try to remember to keep it clean, civil, nice and apolitical.

Just so you know I am working to constrain my own colorful assessments.
__________________
DL
Pythagoras
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline  
Old 31-10-2017, 20:39   #255
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 12,220
Re: Couple and dogs rescued after months at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Hey all, just a heads up. As this seems to be shaking out none too nicely for these 2, let's try to remember to keep it clean, civil, nice and apolitical.

Just so you know I am working to constrain my own colorful assessments.
don if I sail my boat down to the bay area wanna just hop on board and sail to Hawaii only one rule no toothbrushes
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
dogs, men, rescue

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Man overboard rescued after 1.5 hours at sea HansSolo General Sailing Forum 10 02-04-2014 23:30
Sailboat rescued after months lost at sea watersofdiego General Sailing Forum 1 11-08-2013 13:15
Rescued After Fifty Days Lost at Sea ! Rangiroo Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany 19 27-11-2010 08:01
Australian rescued off Thai coast after 3 weeks at sea David_Old_Jersey General Sailing Forum 13 01-12-2006 16:19

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:01.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.