Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2017, 11:36   #211

Boat: Ranger Tugs R-25SC (2015). 24' 7"
Re: Couple and dogs rescued after months at sea

In the latest report of this rescue at sea, the captain of the vessel said her backstay was shot and one of the spreaders had broken. This may have prevented them from using their main to sail on. However, without knowing all the facts, my hunch is that they could have secured the boom to compensate for the broken backstay and perhaps used the jib to sail on.
Old 31-10-2017, 11:40   #212
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fst415 View Post
In the latest report of this rescue at sea, the captain of the vessel said her backstay was shot and one of the spreaders had broken. This may have prevented them from using their main to sail on. However, without knowing all the facts, my hunch is that they could have secured the boom to compensate for the broken backstay and perhaps used the jib to sail on.
The captain's (now she's apparently a "captain") story continues to evolve as the inconsistencies are pointed out. Soon she'll also need to wear waders during the interviews.

The other day, one of my elderly female patients called bull poop when she was watching the story on the news.
Old 31-10-2017, 11:46   #213

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
Calling out Force 11 is very specific and of such a magnitude that would immediately cause people to verify the claim - I would expect sailors to err on the side of caution when describing the weather.. probably stating something like, "at least Force 8"

I just say "OMG waves were HUGE and the wind broke my anometer!!"

From the video I saw, the spreaders and backstay appear perfectly in tact...If you get scared and give up, just say "Thanks" and keep your mouth shut.
Old 31-10-2017, 11:46   #214
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by fst415 View Post
in the vids their split backstay appeared to be doing just fine and was even adjusted tightly.
And both spreaders are seemingly intact and properly set .
Old 31-10-2017, 11:47   #215

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf_sail View Post
Anyone know if these two should expect criminal charges?
Unusual that it would happen and would depend on exactly what they claimed and how "rescued." Also, depends on when they come clean and tell the truth. False reports can be criminally prosecuted.
Old 31-10-2017, 11:49   #216
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Unusual that it would happen and would depend on exactly what they claimed and how "rescued." Also, depends on when they come clean and tell the truth. False reports can be criminally prosecuted.
a good scenario for not popping the epirb.
Old 31-10-2017, 11:53   #217

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I suspect just having to live with themselves would be punishment enough.
If they have indeed fabricated this story, I doubt they would feel any remorse at all....just disappointment.
Old 31-10-2017, 11:57   #218

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I doubt if there will be any legal action taken.

Years ago, east coast, the USCG rescued a single handed voyager more than 3 times.... His engine would always quit and he would get caught up in the Gulf stream. Each time he would say, he fixed his engine before he left the dock. Eventually the USCG got tired of rescuing him and declared his boat unsafe which deterred him from making another trip.
As I understand it, if the USCG declare an "unsafe voyage", they really don't have to attempt the rescue the people onboard the boat.
Old 31-10-2017, 12:30   #219

Boat: Parker Super Seal 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf_sail View Post
Anyone know if these two should expect criminal charges?
I don't think so. When issuing a mayday you basically give up the command of your vessel. The Navy captain proclaimed their vessel unseaworthy, so this was in fact an emergency. Telling "alternative facts" in the news is (sadly) no crime.
Old 31-10-2017, 12:36   #220

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
If they have indeed fabricated this story, I doubt they would feel any remorse at all....just disappointment.
Special snowflakes accept no personal responsibility thus feels no remorse. There's always some excuse, and it's always somebody else's fault.
Old 31-10-2017, 13:10   #221

Boat: Oyster 55

Well what a harrowing story!
Can't wait to see these two on the Ellen DeGeneres show.
Specifically I want to hear about the shark attack....which I believe were "Tiger Sharks". Imagine sharks in the ocean.
I have no doubt they will make enough money off daytime TV shows to buy another boat and be out there again.
Or maybe they should just spend the money on a little psychiatric counseling and/or meds.
Old 31-10-2017, 13:58   #222

Boat: crawling back aboard: getting over long vax/covid!

I watched the video of the two... and before reading all of the comments on here, i felt so utterly, utterly disappointed.

being a female sailor, (with my share of copper-blond hair), i work hard to gain respect. every decision i make needs to be the right one. i beat myself up over little stuff... heaven forbid that some guy sees me mess up and tells himself i'm just another stupid blonde.

and so when i see these two, unawares of how they are flaunting their mistakes (or distortions in the truth, because this could very well be, given their body language, tone of voice), it pulls me, as a female, down, in my eyes and surely in yours (as men)

beyond this, when i witness their utter LACK OF HUMILITY that any great perilous situation teaches humans, all i can do is think of how so many have lost sight of values and respect for one another and sometimes even for themselves.

(Steadyhand, thanks so much for giving them the benefit of the doubt, as long as you did. much appreciated)
Old 31-10-2017, 14:09   #223

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgal View Post
I watched the video of the two... and before reading all of the comments on here, i felt so utterly, utterly disappointed.

being a female sailor, (with my share of copper-blond hair), i work hard to gain respect. every decision i make needs to be the right one. i beat myself up over little stuff... heaven forbid that some guy sees me mess up and tells himself i'm just another stupid blonde.

and so when i see these two, unawares of how they are flaunting their mistakes (or distortions in the truth, because this could very well be, given their body language, tone of voice), it pulls me, as a female, down, in my eyes and surely in yours (as men)

beyond this, when i witness their utter LACK OF HUMILITY that any great perilous situation teaches humans, all i can do is think of how so many have lost sight of values and respect for one another and sometimes even for themselves.

(Steadyhand, thanks so much for giving them the benefit of the doubt, as long as you did. much appreciated)
Quite honestly, and I hope I speak for the majority of participants on this thread, when I read the initial stories about these two I didn't think of them with reference to any gender. Nor did I read and listen to their stories, claims or consider their actions with any gender bias. What they did or didn't do with regards preparation of boat and crew, and the actions that they took during their voyage, had little bearing on whether they were male, female or gender-fluid.

What I saw, read and heard was a tale of misadventure concerning a pair of sailors with a very healthy helping of embellishment. What they did and didn't do will always be open to criticism and questioning, and regardless of how their adventure unfolded, a certain sequence of events lead them to where they were: collected by a Navy frigate floating about in the Pacific. I very much doubt they set off with a detailed plan of how to create a compelling story of woe, however, that's what the finally result seems to be.

This story could easily (as has, historically, been) created by men - it just so happened this time that it was a couple of women.. however, I don't see that gender necessarily came into it. I feel that the media coverage of apparent mis-truths coming to light, if true, puts all sailors in a poor light! Just look at the story Donald Crowhurst was putting together..
Old 31-10-2017, 14:13   #224

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgal View Post

wolfgal:

Thank you very much for the above post, wolfgal. It speaks for many of us.
And yes, Steady did a good job of willing suspension of disbelief.

Ann
Old 31-10-2017, 14:20   #225

Boat: Gib'Sea 402

... ...
Quote:
I feel that the media coverage of apparent mis-truths coming to light, if true, puts all sailors in a poor light...
No, on the contrary.

I have to agree with Wolfgal all these apparent incompetences and exaggerations of events and conditions reflect very unfairly on women sailors.

Hopefully their (made up) story will quickly fall out of the public eye ... ...
Closed Thread

Tags
dogs, men, rescue