Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2017, 04:56   #91
cruiser

Re: Couple and dogs rescued after months at sea

Question:

Were the magic mushrooms consumed before, during or after the attack by the “40-50ft tiger sharks” and their “children?” Why didn’t the hungry sharks want the two women “in their living room.” The one in the green shirt would look to be to be very tasty if one was a 50ft tiger shark.

Even the news media seems to be scratching their heads while conducting these rather painful interviews. Tom Hanks went on a diet to loose weight before playing his movie role of “The Castaway.” Look’s like these two had an “all you can eat” 24hr vegan buffet onboard their “25 ton” boat.
Old 28-10-2017, 05:07   #92

Boat: 66' Spencer 42' Sloop

So Blondie is an actress and a model...

At least according to this clip.

I do have some serious questions, is this a case of they didn't know how to navigate, or is it that her career is melting faster than a pudding pop at noon in July in Arizona!??

The whole thing is fishy to me, and no she didn't build the boat, she refit the boat.

Makes me wonder if this was all planned or if they just didn't know what they were doing.

I think it will take some time, but if she is telling a story eventually it will fall apart.

Either way, it is a good story because it tells you "Hey, see these people, don't be like them, have a backup plan and understand how to fix stuff if you are going to sea so you don't wind up bobbing around for 5 months like a pile of poo on a plank floating around the eastern Pacific!
Old 28-10-2017, 05:27   #93
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Remarkable that in five months adrift they never realized their clothesline is actually dual-use and that by pulling on a "string" becomes a sail.... Course you'd then not have clean clothes for rescue/book signing day...

Call me a skeptic.....
Old 28-10-2017, 05:47   #94

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Well these two made CNN.. Likely the goal of this shenanigan. Not well spoken.
Old 28-10-2017, 05:53   #95
cruiser

Were the sharks imaginary or mechanical? Can the "survivors" produce any receipts to back up their tale? I'm guessing no... probably destroyed in the force 11 storm or "White Squall," (wasn't there another movie by that name?). "Good thing the food wasn't harmed like the engine starter motor. We all know how water tight those oatmeal and spaghetti packages are...

So we have "Jaws," "The Castaway," Life of Pi," "White Squall," "Perfect Storm," and "All is Lost" all wrapped up in one nice, tidy, neatly pressed tale. Did someone say the blonde is an actress? Oh yeah she did.... what a cawinky-dink?

Old 28-10-2017, 06:05   #96

Boat: Pearson 365

Quote:
Originally Posted by _andi_ View Post
this interview?

- First night: Force 11 storm. Dafuq? Check Weather forecast before leaving the harbor? Maybe somebody could look up the actual wind speeds that day (departure was May 5th), at first glance it was nowhere that windy but I'm not from the area and don't know which weather stations to look at...

- Broken Mast was a broken spreader and they couldn‘t climb the mast at sea.

- The boat was too large to enter kiribati, so no fix there.

- Flooded starter and ignition due to rain disabled the engine. Dafuq? again…

I really like wargaming incidents at sea to learn what to do in these kind of situations but I'm afraid there not too much to learn from this besides "gradually increase the difficulty of the sailing you're doing"...

Regarding the broken spreader, in the picture posted by Pete7, it looks like there are mast steps on the stick and it also looks like someone is headed up the mast.
Old 28-10-2017, 06:16   #97

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
In the video shots, there is clearly wind on the water, but all sails are down. Puzzling. Hope they release more info.
Broken spreader means unstable mast and inability to sail safely on any but one tack.

They have my respect.
Old 28-10-2017, 06:17   #98
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpendoley View Post
Regarding the broken spreader, in the picture posted by Pete7, it looks like there are mast steps on the stick and it also looks like someone is headed up the mast.
Yes, those are definitely mast steps in the picture, but it would be very difficult for either of those two to climb them (especially the skydiver/adventure seeking one) with the broken legs we'll probably be hearing about next.

The spreader looks fine in the picture, the "actress" said "a bolt holding the spreader to the mast broke," so I'm guessing she must have climbed the steps to go up and have a closer look?

The lifejackets on the dogs were a nice touch.
Old 28-10-2017, 06:44   #99
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post

The lifejackets on the dogs were a nice touch.
the only part of this I actually believe of their story.
The more they talk the more it stinks of stunt.
If it does prove to be a stunt I hope they get charged for the costs of the "rescue" .
U.S. Navy gator freighters are not cheap to operate.
Old 28-10-2017, 06:53   #100

I'm guessing neither had ever sailed before and they planned to motor unti they figured out how to raise the sails. Unfortunately, they ran out of fuel before that happened and they never did snap on to that little trick.
Old 28-10-2017, 06:55   #101

Boat: Parker Super Seal 26

Did anybody do a check on their force 11 storm claim? Different news outlets say they started may 23th or may 3rd. I had a look at some noaa weather buoys around hawaii and didn't see any winds above 20kn or so for the whole month of may. Maybe somebody local remembers if there was a three day 11bft storm in the last couple of months?
Old 28-10-2017, 07:07   #102
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by _andi_ View Post
Did anybody do a check on their force 11 storm claim? Different news outlets say they started may 23th or may 3rd. I had a look at some noaa weather buoys around hawaii and didn't see any winds above 20kn or so for the whole month of may. Maybe somebody local remembers if there was a three day 11bft storm in the last couple of months?
here is what I found
Lingering wet conditions from a dissipating late season kona low marked the start of the Hawaiian Islands dry season, which runs from May through September. The enhanced rainfall produced minor flooding problems on the Big Island and Maui on May 1. By May 2, the low pressure system dissipated southwest of Kauai and was replaced by moderate to fresh trade winds that persisted through May 7.

On May 8, a new kona low developed several hundred miles northwest of Kauai which caused low level winds to veer to a southeasterly direction. The local air mass became sufficiently unstable to support enhanced showers along the windward slopes of the Koolau Range that resulted in minor flooding problems. As the low drifted westward and dissipated, trade winds resumed by May 10 at mainly moderate to fresh intensities and continued unabated through May 25. During this period, an upper level trough near the state helped enhance shower activity embedded within the trade wind flow. These showers produced daily totals of 1 to 4 inches along the windward slopes of the Big Island on May 14 and 15 which resulted in soggy conditions but otherwise no significant flooding issues. A late season cold front moved north of the main Hawaiian Islands on May 26 and produced a light wind pattern that allowed land and sea breezes to dominate local conditions. Briefly heavy afternoon showers affected the Hilo and Puna areas of the Big Island on May 28, and the Upcountry area of Maui on May 29, but did not cause significant flooding problems. Trade winds resumed on May 30 and continued through the end of the month.
May 2017 Precipitation Summary
Sounds to me like a nice month for sailing
Heck even a bit of rain to reduce the dependence on the watermaker.
Old 28-10-2017, 07:23   #103

Courtesy of a post on another forum -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7942.GIF
Views:	340
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	158431  
Old 28-10-2017, 07:55   #104
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtankgirl View Post
Courtesy of a post on another forum -
looks like it was great sailing except in the gulf of Alaska. ( may have needed a third reef there )
Old 28-10-2017, 08:33   #105

Boat: Parker Super Seal 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
looks like it was great sailing except in the gulf of Alaska. ( may have needed a third reef there )
maybe they confused m/s with bft? 11 m/s sounds reasonable and it really gives me a hard time to make any other sense of "force 11" in relation to the weather data...
Closed Thread

Tags
dogs, men, rescue