Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2017, 14:26   #226

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'
Re: Couple and dogs rescued after months at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
... ... No, on the contrary.

I have to agree with Wolfgal all these apparent incompetences and exaggerations of events and conditions reflect very unfairly on women sailors.

Hopefully their (made up) story will quickly fall out of the public eye ... ...
Here's hoping - the last thing we need is another reason for the media and representatives to ask, "why are we, the tax-payers, wasting money on the rescue of 'recreational sailors'?" (Hence my comment about putting all sailors in a bad light - so many rescues don't get the positive coverage they deserve)
Old 31-10-2017, 14:32   #227

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I started out gender irrelevant in my consideration, too. But I think wolfgal had a good point.

She is a woman, and a blonde, and she's also a sweet person if she was only disappointed at the perpetrators of this hoax. The whole situation makes me feel angry.

Ann
Old 31-10-2017, 14:32   #228

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

A made up story will put either male or female in a bad light.
Maybe they thought/realized if they deployed their EPIRB falsely would result in a signifiant federal fine "filing" a false report.

I accidentally tripped my EPIRB, at the dock, while installing the auto deploy unit. USCG called my cell phone, I was VERY embarrassed, they assured me, no further action would occur because "stuff like that has been known to happen."
I thanked them profusely.
Old 31-10-2017, 14:37   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgal View Post
and so when i see these two, unawares of how they are flaunting their mistakes (or distortions in the truth, because this could very well be, given their body language, tone of voice), it pulls me, as a female, down, in my eyes and surely in yours (as men)
Nothing to worry about (at least in my eyes). This one (the blonde did the talking almost exclusively) is a completely different kind of species than 99.9% of women I know. This is clearly a "business" behavior, where they expect profit from a made-up story, nothing to do with gender. You see this when an ebay seller wants to sell you a "50'000mAh battery" which is at best 5000 and so on. The name of the game: scam.

One scammer, which happens to be female, will NEVER EVER decrease the reputation of skilled, hard working female sailors from Ellen MacArthur "down" to the junior deck hand started yesterday working hard to improve her skills.

I am much more concerned about the reputation of the entire sailing community in the eyes of the non-sailing public. Just as Cavalier mentioned, if fake distress calls can go unpunished (scammer doesn't pay up the cost of the show), all recreational sailors might be restricted to access S&R resources.
Old 31-10-2017, 14:53   #230

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by _andi_ View Post
- First night: Force 11 storm. Dafuq? Check Weather forecast before leaving the harbor? Maybe somebody could look up the actual wind speeds that day (departure was May 5th), at first glance it was nowhere that windy but I'm not from the area and don't know which weather stations to look at...
Meteorologists have confirmed that there was no storm anywhere near the islands on the dates stated by the couple. So basically the rest of their story is forfeit as far as I'm concerned. Either they are crazy, liars, or crazy liars.

Gender has absolutely nothing to do with this, at least as far as seamanship and preparation goes. That's just a silly idea.

I'm going to block this story out of my mind as a complete waste of time and move on, lol.
Old 31-10-2017, 14:54   #231

Boat: crawling back aboard: getting over long vax/covid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
Here's hoping - the last thing we need is another reason for the media and representatives to ask, "why are we, the tax-payers, wasting money on the rescue of 'recreational sailors'?" (Hence my comment about putting all sailors in a bad light - so many rescues don't get the positive coverage they deserve)
Cavalier and GTom and those who hold this opinion. I fear that you could be very right.

Ann, if I sound sweet, it is because i rarely convey anger. Rest assured, I'm with you on this one.

Simply put, all of us lose (and risk losing even more) with this story...
Old 31-10-2017, 14:59   #232

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

"WE" are giving the two women more "air-time" than they deserve.
They've had their 15 minutes of fame, which is more than they deserve.
I for one vote we change the subject.
Old 31-10-2017, 15:24   #233

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

A comment re the gender identification thing:

Do you think that there would have been as much to-do about this "rescue" if the sailors had been men? I don't! The headlines said things like "Two women and two dogs rescued" etc, not "two sailors". I suspect this is simply because there are societal expectations that exclude women from some activities, and ocean sailing is one of them, so their gender is significant... and will be noted by readers (or viewers).

And I'm afraid that as the hoax is unraveled and exposed, that gender identity will not go away, so, yeah, I'm afraid that it will shed an unfavorable light on women sailors in general. I'm not directly affected, obviously, but I share Ann's and Wolfie's anger at these two would-be con artists.

I'm a bit surprised (but pleased) that the CG is coming out publicly to denounce them. I wonder if that will affect the "sale" of their story in the future?

Jim
Old 31-10-2017, 15:29   #234

Boat: Catamaran 22 ft

Is there any reasonable explanation as to why most of the hull covered by alga despite sound bottom paint? I mean there is nothing wrong with the bottom paint but the hull seems covered by alga, which suggests that the boat was heavier than she normally should have been. And she sailed under that condition so long that the hull covered by alga. I would not be surprised if this story turned into a criminal case in coming weeks.
Old 31-10-2017, 15:39   #235

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuri kongur View Post
Is there any reasonable explanation as to why most of the hull covered by alga despite sound bottom paint? .
Yes. I'm not sure if you've ever seen a school of 50 ft tiger sharks attack a boat, but they are very considerate. First, they buff the bottom paint. Then, they listen to the crew breathing. The tiger sharks couldn't reach above the waterline, hence they had to leave the weed there but did clean below the waterline.
Old 31-10-2017, 16:12   #236

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

an idea shamelessly stolen from the anarchy site.
Old 31-10-2017, 16:33   #237

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I suspect just having to live with themselves would be punishment enough.
People that far out have no trouble living with themselves. It is the others around them that have the trouble. And now us.
Old 31-10-2017, 16:51   #238

Boat: Ď01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuri kongur View Post
Is there any reasonable explanation as to why most of the hull covered by alga despite sound bottom paint? I mean there is nothing wrong with the bottom paint but the hull seems covered by alga, which suggests that the boat was heavier than she normally should have been. And she sailed under that condition so long that the hull covered by alga. I would not be surprised if this story turned into a criminal case in coming weeks.

A boat rolling for months will have growth on the parts of the hull that donít dry.

All this tells me is that they were actually drifting for months on the ocean with no good reason.
Old 31-10-2017, 16:56   #239

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Do you think that there would have been as much to-do about this "rescue" if the sailors had been men? I don't! The headlines said things like "Two women and two dogs rescued" etc, not "two sailors". I suspect this is simply because there are societal expectations that exclude women from some activities, and ocean sailing is one of them,
It's the dogs, Jim. Now imagine if they'd have had cats! Viral!!
Old 31-10-2017, 17:00   #240
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
A boat rolling for months will have growth on the parts of the hull that donít dry.

All this tells me is that they were actually drifting for months on the ocean with no good reason.
try sailing on same tack for a week at a time you will get growth like that on the sides of your hull above the waterline to.

Tags
dogs, men, rescue