Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2013, 03:47   #196

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Re: A Damn Mouse

Saw this from Charlotte on their blog: "Eric is away right now in the states for a work trip that could not be avoided. Until the magic-financial-independence-fairy sprinkles her wand of sparkly money all over us, well, Eric must answer when work calls."

Rebel Heart - Charlotte's Blog

So all's well, thank goodness.

But damn it . . . we gotta know about the rat! ;-)
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:45   #197
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Maybe mousey packed himself in Eric's suitcase to go for aUS holiday?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:10   #198

Boat: Hans Christian 36'

Hey guys, sorry for not responding! Didn't realize the thread was still going on. Eric has been consumed getting ready for a work trip and now is on said trip up in the states.

We started working with the marina mgmt and they were super responsive. Brought down an exterminator and fancy poison. Apparently with their poison, if the rat dies on the boat the body won't stink. I don't get how that works, but still a huge relief. We've had no sign of the rat in probably over a week, maybe a week in a half? But our dock neighbors found droppings on their deck for several nights (we had already warned them so they had all hatches closed at night.)

Anyway, I'd like to say, so far so good. Hopefully?

We have tried bacon, peanut butter, almond paste, shrimp, various poisons, various sticky traps, and those big rat traps. And no rat body yet. BUT the poison the marina mgmt brought down has all been consumed, so wish us luck. Also, marina knows Eric isn't here right now so they have offered anytime, day or night, to come aboard if I need help (which is much appreciated.) They also place all the poison. I don't want to even touch it in my current state. Hard to enough to bend down as it is.

But all is well with the baby. She is still cooking away!
Red Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:17   #199

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Bless you and take care.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:44   #200

Boat: Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Charlotte View Post
Hey guys, sorry for not responding! Didn't realize the thread was still going on. Eric has been consumed getting ready for a work trip and now is on said trip up in the states.

We started working with the marina mgmt and they were super responsive. Brought down an exterminator and fancy poison. Apparently with their poison, if the rat dies on the boat the body won't stink. I don't get how that works, but still a huge relief. We've had no sign of the rat in probably over a week, maybe a week in a half? But our dock neighbors found droppings on their deck for several nights (we had already warned them so they had all hatches closed at night.)

We have tried bacon, peanut butter, almond paste, shrimp, various poisons, various sticky traps, and those big rat traps. And no rat body yet. BUT the poison the marina mgmt brought down has all been consumed, so wish us luck. Also, marina knows Eric isn't here right now so they have offered anytime, day or night, to come aboard if I need help (which is much appreciated.) They also place all the poison. I don't want to even touch it in my current state. Hard to enough to bend down as it is.

Yep! Someone put out the word that poison was aboard. So, we high tailed it outa thar.
BilgeRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:22   #201

Boat: Krogen 58' Xiao Xiu
Send a message via MSN to JayCall

Wow-really glad to get this update-I have been wondering for over a week about the rat!

BTW-I had a cousin who did the shotgun thing on his boat. He and his Dad were duckhunting up the Waccamaw River in SE NC, and a mocasin dropped from a tree branch into their 15' aluminum jonboat, without thinking, he aimed and shot! They had to keep te boat on plane all the way to the ramp to keep from sinking. That was over 20 years ago and he still gets grief over it!
JayCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:43   #202

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

The devil made me do it...

????? ????? ::.. Choose Your Channel - Cleaning the cobra pit
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:55   #203
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

mebbe i should send la cruz some sea snakes.......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 13:05   #204

Boat: hunter 376

I'd blast the snake to king come too... rather plane the boat home with a hole in it than a moccasin in it. Think of it as an eviction notice...with prejudice.
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 13:13   #205
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

these are not moccasins. they are deadly sea snakes. black with yellow and nice bulging cheeks for poison. all the fish leave this bay when even one is inside the bay. moccasins are mellow compared to these...but might eat a rat--i know they eat fishies--interesting to watch.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 19:46   #206

So glad to hear all is well with you guys!! And I hope all is not with the rat!!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 19:57   #207

Boat: Looking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Charlotte View Post

Hi Red

I join all of your friends in wishing you an easy remainder to your pregnancy and no further rat worries. It is good that the marina folks are aware and willing to help out. Best to Eric.

Smooth waters, favorable winds.

Bill
westsail374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 16:24   #208

Getting ready to get underway for a spell and look at what I found tucked in the engine compartment behind some line.

rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 16:30   #209

I had been wondering how your story finally ended.
Old 14-04-2013, 16:41   #210

Congratulations!
Mahana is offline   Reply With Quote