Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2021, 09:49   #31

Boat: beneteau First 26 QR
Re: What 10 inch Tablet ? I want to put a 10 inch tablet with GPS at the helm of my b

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepal View Post
I can imagine. They started selling in this year and are based in Belgium. Most users are for the moment non Englishs peaking. This is a link to a topic of the French CF, Hisse et Ho.

https://www.hisse-et-oh.com/sailing/...uces-sailproof
Hi Nepal,
thanks for the mention; I'm the guy who launched the SailProof project one year ago. I don't like to spam forums, but I'm always happy to answer any questions. And yes, the 10 inch Windows 10 tablet will be available soon, the 10 inch Android in the first quarter of 2022.

JM
BuenaOnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 11:17   #32

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)
Re: What 10 inch Tablet ? I want to put a 10 inch tablet with GPS at the helm of my b

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuenaOnda View Post
Hi Nepal,
thanks for the mention; I'm the guy who launched the SailProof project one year ago. I don't like to spam forums, but I'm always happy to answer any questions. And yes, the 10 inch Windows 10 tablet will be available soon, the 10 inch Android in the first quarter of 2022.

JM
Don’t think Windows has the Navionics App like for iOS and Android… - am I wrong? This may be a show stopper for many like me that prefer a tablet on the MFD.
I use iPads (with rugged commercially available cases) on board although two new Raymarine Axiom MFDs were installed over the last 12 months.
Old 07-10-2021, 13:17   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I have a ray marine hybrid touch. It’s not a a current product , updates (lighthouse 2 and 3) are readily available and very easy to upgrade just connect them to my cell hotspot via Wi-Fi press “
Upgrade “

The smallest 7” is around 700 euros. Quite cheap I can even view Netflix on it !!

Hence while I have tablets there is much more integrated functionality on a MFD along with proper waterproofing and sunlight viewable screens. Include is ais radar and autopilot integration and relays data from my ST60 instruments etc. Even controls my Bluetooth audio as well !!!

I’d never trust my navigation to only a tablet.
Nor you want to trust your navigation on any MFD. They do break, happen to me just with a brand new Axiom after a software update 😡. And then had to get to shore, remove from the navpod or instrument panel at the nav station, speak with Raymarine, drive to a dealer, wait 4 weeks turnaround for the repair (and according to the dealer, it was a very quick one…) and then all the way back. It happened to too many cruising friends and thousands of miles away from shore and even more from a dealer. —- No thanks!

As with other critical items on board redundancy is critical. With the two Axioms I still keep two more iPads in full use and regardless the MFD situation at most cases use the iPads for navigation at 95% of the time, and also for the AIS and for the Quantum Radar image (as a repeater) from the Axiom.

Wish Raymarine had just a small black box to replace the need for the instruments connectivity with a wifi feed to the App (as there is now in the Axiom MFD to Raycontrol and RayView apps) and forget about their useless screens. 😎
Old 11-10-2021, 06:45   #34

Boat: Lock Crowther 37' Catamaran - ORYOKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamen View Post
Lenovo Tab M10 Plus, 10.3" FHD Android Tablet, Octa-Core Processor, 64GB Storage, 4GB RAM, Iron Grey, ZA5T0300US https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083JXPDL5..._sElLn4aTJdouJ

Used this tablet sailing the Florida Keys for a week and liked it. Worked great with a SeaSucker mount. Needed external power.

How was the screen in bright sunlight?
Old 11-10-2021, 07:32   #35

Here's what I bought:

ChargerCity XT Boat Helm Pole Bar Spin Bike Tablet Mount w/Universal Tablet Holder for iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPad Mini, Galaxy Tab S, Surface Pro Book & All Other 7"-12" Screen Tablets $23.95

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BH26M5G...roduct_details

Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 10.4" (32GB, 3GB, WiFi + Cellular) 4G LTE Tablet GSM Unlocked (Global, T-Mobile, AT&T, Metro) International Model SM-T505 (64GB SD Bundle) (Dark Gray) $249.90

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08ZR64JWW...roduct_details

If you have a Bimini you really aren't in direct sunlight and the Samsung display is plenty bright. The table mount works well with the Samsun and comes equipped with the rail mount.

The SM-T505 version of the Samsun is an international version which supports Phone, GPS, BT and WiFi. It doesn't claim support for USA mobile carriers. I put a Mint Mobile SIM card in it which is a T-Mobile reseller. The Samsung worked fine with my SIM. Since it is an international version, I don't anticipate any problems with SIMs from other countries which is ideal.

My only complaint with this setup is that Navico dropped their support for saving charts to a SD card. The model that I purchased came with a 64GB SD card. It would be nice to have all the charts stored on SD instead of internal memory.

I also bought a case for the tablet. It doesn't make it waterproof, but certainly adds protection. With the rubber corners, an occasional drop is covered. While it does add some weight, that doesn't matter much when mounted at the helm. The tablet and case fit into the mount without any issues.

Supveco Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 10.4 2020, Dual Layer Full Body Protection Cases for Samsung A7 Tablet with Built-in Screen Protector Cover for Galaxy Tab A7 10.4 [SM-T500/T505/T507]-Dark Blue $21.99

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LDN7535...roduct_details

For navigation purposes, this setup works amazingly well. You can also mirror the screen on other devices if you have a router on board or use a BT connection. Visibility is great and the touch screen works through the table case so it is everything that I wanted for less than $300.

If you want to make some video of your travels, the cameras on this also record through the case, making it possible to provide some trip narration or to record the pitching of the boat in rough seas. Being mounted to the binacle, while you may not see the size of the waves, you definitely see the motion of the boat if you turn off the stabilizer functions.

My only disappointment is that this tablet does not support DivX or Video out from the USB-C port. I spent some time with Samsung support trying to make that work. Their support staff isn't trained on this and the website is not specific enough about their specs.
StoneCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 07:54   #36

Boat: boatless currently

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyFeat View Post
How was the screen in bright sunlight?
It was under a bimini. No problem at all. I ran the Navionics Boating app.
Kamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 07:58   #37

Boat: beneteau First 26 QR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeValency View Post
Don’t think Windows has the Navionics App like for iOS and Android… - am I wrong? This may be a show stopper for many like me that prefer a tablet on the MFD.
I use iPads (with rugged commercially available cases) on board although two new Raymarine Axiom MFDs were installed over the last 12 months.
You're right. But there are also Windows softwares like TimeZero or Scannav which have their aficionados. Not to mention softs used by offshore racers like Revolution, Adrena, etc. We have received many expressions of interest for a Win10 based tablet, that's why we have decided to test the market.

JM
BuenaOnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 08:11   #38

Boat: 2004, Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
It’s now cheaper to put a entry level MFD in rather then a high end sunlight readable tablet.

And what’s a CD

And what is a 'MFD' ?
Old 11-10-2021, 08:28   #39

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingunity View Post
I was very interested in the sailproof before buying the Samsung, but they are a new company and I couldn't find any reviews on it.
There was a review in one of the UK sailing mags middle of last year, I think it was Sailing Today or Practical Boat Owner. I bought one of the first (number 12) on the basis of the review. Had to wait six months because of import delays from China to Belgium (I live in UK) but Jean-Michel the proprietor of Sailproof was very good and sent me some extra freebies for being patient (nice little shoulder carry case and a 10Amp solar charge pack) I haven't heard about the 10" version yet. My only issue is that using the 12v charging cable, it does not quite keep up with the Navionics app when in use, although not as bad as my Apple Ipad that I used to use. That would get fully depleted on an eight-hour voyage If I kept the app running the whole time. The SP08 is about half that, so say 16 hours. I spoke to Navionics about it in the past and for about a season, after installing an update, it worked fine but then the following year it was back to square one. it is a very power-hungry app. I've just seen that Jean-Michel is posting on this forum under the nom de plume of BuenaOnda, Hi JM.
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 08:45   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martkimwat View Post
There was a review in one of the UK sailing mags middle of last year, I think it was Sailing Today or Practical Boat Owner. I bought one of the first (number 12) on the basis of the review. Had to wait six months because of import delays from China to Belgium (I live in UK) but Jean-Michel the proprietor of Sailproof was very good and sent me some extra freebies for being patient (nice little shoulder carry case and a 10Amp solar charge pack) I haven't heard about the 10" version yet. My only issue is that using the 12v charging cable, it does not quite keep up with the Navionics app when in use, although not as bad as my Apple Ipad that I used to use. That would get fully depleted on an eight-hour voyage If I kept the app running the whole time. The SP08 is about half that, so say 16 hours. I spoke to Navionics about it in the past and for about a season, after installing an update, it worked fine but then the following year it was back to square one. it is a very power-hungry app.
Rarely trust a single source with review. Valuable reviews of such products should represent hundreds of real users over time. It is very difficult for a small manufacturer to stay in business if intended for the marine industry only. There are multiple rugged tablets used in different environments, all based on Apple or one of the largest Android integrators (Samsung, Lenovo, LG, Asus etc)

Navionics is indeed a power guzzler. In most cases you can solve the problem with a powerful 60-80W charger, not the cheap 12V car chargers with a quality USB-C cable. Most new tablets, including Apple have now a USB-C port. If you have this setup you won’t be limited with the tablet uptime
Old 11-10-2021, 09:12   #41

Quote:
Rarely trust a single source with review. Valuable reviews of such products should represent hundreds of real users over time. It is very difficult for a small manufacturer to stay in business if intended for the marine industry only. There are multiple rugged tablets used in different environments, all based on Apple or one of the largest Android integrators (Samsung, Lenovo, LG, Asus etc)

Navionics is indeed a power guzzler. In most cases you can solve the problem with a powerful 60-80W charger, not the cheap 12V car chargers with a quality USB-C cable. Most new tablets, including Apple have now a USB-C port. If you have this setup you won’t be limited with the tablet uptime
I am using the supplied USB to charging port charge cable supplied with the tablet and plugged into a permanently wired marine-grade USB(twin) port wired directly to my boats 12 battery supply. Any other option will not provide sufficient power and is not supported by Sailproof. The USB to USB-C charging option does not provide sufficient power. The designer of the Saiproof SP08 Jean-Michel is on this particular forum, perhaps you should address your concerns to him. His nom de plume is BuenaOnda.
Old 11-10-2021, 09:14   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastarea View Post
And what is a 'MFD' ?
Multi function display

Pretty well all chartplotters are now MFDs, I saw one yesterday on a harbour patrol vessel In Cowes IOW, being used as an engine instrument display, It was an Axiom 9.
Old 11-10-2021, 09:44   #43

I'm currently using an iPad to run a number of different applications.

Pros
  • Well supported
  • Many applications
  • easy to use
  • has a waterproof/saltproof case available for it (claims to protect the ipad from immersion down to 3 meters. Not going to test that, but is definitely good enough to deal with spray)
  • All the usual tablet benefits such as portability, etc.
Cons
  • Sometimes difficult to read in bright sunlight
  • Definitely not polarized sunglasses friendly
  • Battery doesn't last a full day of sailing
  • When wet from rain or spray (and sometimes just because a wolf howled on the steppes of Asia, likely due to howl-sensitivity of the screen protector), the touch screen fails to register touches.
  • Under some conditions the bright sunlight can cause the iPad to go into thermal shutdown.
Some of the things I've done to mitigate the "cons":

• Installed a USB power outlet at the helm. This allows me to power the iPad while using it. HOWEVER, this also means one of the ports in the waterproof case has to be open, thereby reducing or eliminating the waterproof-ness of the case.
  • Designed and 3d printed a shade hood for it to help with the thermal problem and also to make it more easily readable in sunlight. Also helps protect it from the rain and spray.
I realize none of that answers the OP question, but hopefully will give them some things to think about and also some potential ways to address issues in their selection.
CyKlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 12:10   #44

Boat: Allied Princess 36'

Bite the bullet and buy the best Chartplotter with built in charts that you can afford. You will be much happier even with a 4 or 5 inch screen.
Martinini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 12:37   #45
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Nor you want to trust your navigation on any MFD. They do break, happen to me just with a brand new Axiom after a software update ��. And then had to get to shore, remove from the navpod or instrument panel at the nav station, speak with Raymarine, drive to a dealer, wait 4 weeks turnaround for the repair (and according to the dealer, it was a very quick one…) and then all the way back. It happened to too many cruising friends and thousands of miles away from shore and even more from a dealer. —- No thanks!

As with other critical items on board redundancy is critical. With the two Axioms I still keep two more iPads in full use and regardless the MFD situation at most cases use the iPads for navigation at 95% of the time, and also for the AIS and for the Quantum Radar image (as a repeater) from the Axiom.

Wish Raymarine had just a small black box to replace the need for the instruments connectivity with a wifi feed to the App (as there is now in the Axiom MFD to Raycontrol and RayView apps) and forget about their useless screens. ��
Ckearly your not reading what I wrote. On the boat , there’s several iPhone iPad , two laptops , an android touch screen chart table and a hybrid touch

All of them have access to charting software

Personally Ive had a series of Raymarine mFds , fromRL , C series , E series , and now hybrid touch . Never had a screen failure , the E did two Atlantic crossings, can’t speak for the Axioms

Tags
gps, helm