Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2021, 16:41   #46

Boat: S&S 40
Re: What 10 inch Tablet ? I want to put a 10 inch tablet with GPS at the helm of my b

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
It’s now cheaper to put a entry level MFD in rather then a high end sunlight readable tablet.

And what’s a CD
A CD is a thing spinning round..
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 16:45   #47

Boat: S&S 40
Re: What 10 inch Tablet ? I want to put a 10 inch tablet with GPS at the helm of my b

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
Love the negative of those that perhaps do not sail with a tablet , my Lenovo works fine , I put a shade over if I really need to read my plotter,. It is in a waterproof case and is connected to a DC. Water proof output at the pedestal , I use open cpn, navily, and others, GPS is great my AIS is on the network , no issues, four years and still works
I see no need for one plotter to have my GPS, AIS, RADAR , AUTO pilot on one electronics
I never use anyoff it anyways, I look at my paper maps plan a course and look out with my eyes. , I never understood the need for so much electronic equipment, at a helms mans eye level ,. Stop switch it all off and look out
OFC in busy channels , trade routes the English channel in of devices are valuable and we are not arguing about that , but in an open sea in good light , why are you running all this fancy stuff in the first place
I do not think I've ever switched my AIS. On or my radar [emoji3526]
Well said
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 18:35   #48

If you use an iPad, be sure to have WIFI+Cellular edition. Wi-Fi only is not precise enough and you cannot use, for example, the Anchor app. I navigated with an iPad Wi-Fi+Cellular a few years ago and had no problems with Navionics. I changed my iPad for a Wi-Fi only, and I could not use it with Navionics charts. Good luck!!!
Brise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 19:11   #49

Boat: boatless currently

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuenaOnda View Post
You're right. But there are also Windows softwares like TimeZero or Scannav which have their aficionados. Not to mention softs used by offshore racers like Revolution, Adrena, etc. We have received many expressions of interest for a Win10 based tablet, that's why we have decided to test the market.

JM
Windows 11 can run Android apps. Even Windows 10 can, if you have a Samsung phone.
Kamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 21:21   #50

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

For the sake of posterity and anyone interested, I just took a photo of my Samsung Galaxy Tab Active in full sunlight and faced towards the sun....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211012_141521.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	408.0 KB
ID:	246750  
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 03:36   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brise View Post
If you use an iPad, be sure to have WIFI+Cellular edition. Wi-Fi only is not precise enough and you cannot use, for example, the Anchor app. I navigated with an iPad Wi-Fi+Cellular a few years ago and had no problems with Navionics. I changed my iPad for a Wi-Fi only, and I could not use it with Navionics charts. Good luck!!!
See, here;s the beauty of the the Internet-knowledge. My experience is the total opposite. I'm just as happy with the Wifi only iPad.

The internal GPS of the Cellular iPad isn't as reliable and good as the Boat-GPS. For navigation I really prefer a reliable GPS vie NMEA over Wifi. And if you get your NMEA data from the boat anyway (AIS, Depth, Wind, Heading), the Wifi Only iPad is just as good as the one with internal receiver.

On the other hand, if you're sitting on a 26' day-sailer with no AIS tranceiver, it might not be worth investing in a NMEA-Wifi gateway. In this case, what you stated as an absolute requirement is useful indeed.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 08:30   #52
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Modern tablet based GNSS are as good as anything in a marine mfd these days. In fact they are all probably using the same chips. Most GNSS receivers will pick up at three GNSS systems these days and that includes tablet and phone ones
Old 12-10-2021, 08:30   #53
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
For the sake of posterity and anyone interested, I just took a photo of my Samsung Galaxy Tab Active in full sunlight and faced towards the sun....

Nice clouds

Tags
gps, helm