Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2021, 19:26   #1

What 10 inch Tablet ? I want to put a 10 inch tablet with GPS at the helm of my benet

What is a decent one that will not break the bank? It needs to have built in GPS with antenna . I will add the CD with all the usa charts with a nav program. Needs a sunlight viewable screen too. Thanks.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 00:38   #2

Re: What 10 inch Tablet ? I want to put a 10 inch tablet with GPS at the helm of my b

The decent ones you can read in the sunlight will break the bank.
Those not breaking the bank won't be readable in sunlight.
Whether decent or not, preventing the tablet to go run into thermal shutdown when you sail in warm areas will be challenge.
Waterproofing the whole system while running off power and also retaining the use of the touchscreen will also be a fun task.
While at waterproofing, best find a way to protect the Micro-USB or USB-C connector from corrosion. Those tiny contacts really love to be exposed to humid sea-air.

Good luck with your project, you're going to learn a lot.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 00:40   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
What 10 inch Tablet ? I want to put a 10 inch tablet with GPS at the helm of my benet

It’s now cheaper to put a entry level MFD in rather then a high end sunlight readable tablet.

And what’s a CD
Old 06-10-2021, 02:47   #4

Boat: boatless currently
Re: What 10 inch Tablet ? I want to put a 10 inch tablet with GPS at the helm of my b

Lenovo Tab M10 Plus, 10.3" FHD Android Tablet, Octa-Core Processor, 64GB Storage, 4GB RAM, Iron Grey, ZA5T0300US https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083JXPDL5..._sElLn4aTJdouJ

Used this tablet sailing the Florida Keys for a week and liked it. Worked great with a SeaSucker mount. Needed external power.
Kamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 05:26   #5

I have a Galaxy Tab Active Pro 10.1. It's MilSpec so it's waterproof and pretty rugged with a 600 nit display, runs about $600. True, this is in the price range of cheap chart plotters, but the charts on tablets are much less expensive as well, it's portable and I can use it for other tasks. I bought the model with the 4G modem so I can use it as a hotspot too.
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 06:02   #6
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingunity View Post
I have a Galaxy Tab Active Pro 10.1. It's MilSpec so it's waterproof and pretty rugged with a 600 nit display, runs about $600. True, this is in the price range of cheap chart plotters, but the charts on tablets are much less expensive as well, it's portable and I can use it for other tasks. I bought the model with the 4G modem so I can use it as a hotspot too.

At that price you’ll get a small raymarine with integrated autopilot , radar and ais overlay. Etc makes no sense to use a tablet
Old 06-10-2021, 06:09   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingunity View Post

That's what you want, and since these are industrial devices used in large numbers in warehouses, etc., you often find them surplus, sometimes even unused, on FleaBay for bargain prices.

This is the best tablet I've seen for use on a boat. Screen is brightish but not truly daylight visible but as long as it's not your primary nav device that's not a problem.

They are very rugged, and the ports are closed with waterproof flaps when not in use, protecting the connectors from the salt air.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 06:13   #8

Boat: Columbia 36

I'm using a Dragontouch K10 tablet, about $120 on Amazon a couple years ago. So far it's been great, more than bright enough under the Bimini top. Runs Navionics and OpenCpn perfectly but is lacking space to install more apps. You used to be able to move apps to the sd card and run from there but the newer Android versions won't do that. It has the micro USB power port that I've had fail on a couple phones so watch out for that. I don't know if usb-c is any better but the new stuff is coming with that now. Whatever you get install a water resistant case. With all the models I shopped you had to get the cellular version to get built in gps, they're both on the same chip. You don't have to put cellular service on it, just get the cellular version. I've also used a Thinkpad laptop, can't see that one at all on a bright day.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 08:43   #9

Boat: Catalina-Morgan 504

One that is daylight readable, waterproof, storm-hardened, resistant to heat, dropping, things flying across the cockpit, does not auto-reboot to update software...

I have a Raymarine chartplotter for navigation--it's dependable and meets the above conditions. That said, I also use a moveable, waterproof, daylight-redaable touch-screen monitor (the laptop is below) for nav. backup, watching movies, cruising the net, etc.
Wallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 09:25   #10
Marine Service Provider

Apple has a new 10.2" iPad for a very reasonable price...I just bought one. GPS is included in Google maps app, so will most likely be included in your nav app. Best to give Apple a call to ask if you can install what you need.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 09:57   #11

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Love the negative of those that perhaps do not sail with a tablet , my Lenovo works fine , I put a shade over if I really need to read my plotter,. It is in a waterproof case and is connected to a DC. Water proof output at the pedestal , I use open cpn, navily, and others, GPS is great my AIS is on the network , no issues, four years and still works
I see no need for one plotter to have my GPS, AIS, RADAR , AUTO pilot on one electronics
I never use anyoff it anyways, I look at my paper maps plan a course and look out with my eyes. , I never understood the need for so much electronic equipment, at a helms mans eye level ,. Stop switch it all off and look out
OFC in busy channels , trade routes the English channel in of devices are valuable and we are not arguing about that , but in an open sea in good light , why are you running all this fancy stuff in the first place
I do not think I've ever switched my AIS. On or my radar ☺️
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 10:15   #12

Here are the settings the MarkSetBot company recommends:
For Samsung devices, you will want to tweak the configuration to have the best experience:

Update the OS to the latest over WiFi
Disable double tap to wake via Advanced Features > Motion and Gestures > Double Tap to Wake = Off
Change power button to be on/off instead of Bixby assistant via Advanced Features > Side key > Press and hold = Power off menu
Disable Lock Screen via Settings > Lock Screen > Screen Type = None
Disable Google Play updates
Disable Samsung Store updates by not opening the app
If using Twilio Super SIMs, setup all the APNs in this article (three of them won't show on your screen after saving but they have actually saved) Super SIM APN Configuration - Twilio

They use these to control robotic marks and they have to work all the time.
https://marksetbot.zendesk.com/hc/en...ling-the-bots-
kirklkjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 10:40   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
At that price you’ll get a small raymarine with integrated autopilot , radar and ais overlay. Etc makes no sense to use a tablet
I have all of that but the integrated autopilot. I suppose the only advantage to having the autopilot integrated is if you plot a route, but on a sailboat I'm not sure that's the best idea anyway?

Plus my cockpit looks a lot cleaner without the plotter.
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 11:19   #14

Boat: Irwin, Citation, 34
Send a message via ICQ to sengland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
The decent ones you can read in the sunlight will break the bank.
Those not breaking the bank won't be readable in sunlight.
Whether decent or not, preventing the tablet to go run into thermal shutdown when you sail in warm areas will be challenge.
Waterproofing the whole system while running off power and also retaining the use of the touchscreen will also be a fun task.
While at waterproofing, best find a way to protect the Micro-USB or USB-C connector from corrosion. Those tiny contacts really love to be exposed to humid sea-air.

Good luck with your project, you're going to learn a lot.
I use an iPad (that has the GPS chip). Very stable communications. Have only lost a signal once for 30secs. The micro contacts in the power cable last about a year in salty boat conditions, the contact in the unit have never failed for me in 3 years, price was about $300, brightness can be assisted by installing black blinkers around the screen. Id say in 90% of situations brightness has not been an issue. The benefits would be all the Nav apps that can be downloaded and played with.
The negatives would be as quoted by Joh.Ghurt but nothing that would stop me doing it again an of course I have the iPhone as a back-up with the same Nav apps.
And yes my Autopilot is not integrated, but adjustable from where my iPad is so although does not have the full functionality of a cruise ship, is everything I'd ever need.
sengland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 11:51   #15

Boat: St Francis 43

I got a Lenovo m10, but I'm really disappointed with it too be honest, and now I'm looking at a Samsung s7.

I got a great waterproof case for the lenovo, and I'll try and get the same brand case for the Samsung.

The lenovo was very slow, especially browsing. It handled predictwind well, navionics was fine and other functions. But don't try to run more than one thing at a time.

Also, the battery dies quicker than I was expecting.

The good thing about the lenovo is the price. It's a fraction the price of the Samsung, so I guess for the price point it's not bad.
piebuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps, helm