Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28-09-2009, 17:58   #1

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43
Why Are Next-Gen Anchors Considered 'Better' ?

I know I'm going to start yet another "anchor" argument, but the argument has been made over and over that next gen anchors are "better" than the "old type" -- and I believe it. However, West Marine says my 34 footer needs a 16 lb Danforth (22 lb is good to 40 feet!) and that is sort of the definition of an "old sytle" anchor or a 35 lb CQR (the boat came with a 25lb). But, West says I need a 33 lb Rocna (definatly "new" style), a 44lb Manson Ray (Bruce Style, sort of "newer") and a 25 lb Manson Supreme (why so much less than a Rocna?), and Raya says I need a 12.5 KG, around 30 lbs. Now, it's true that they may have different ideas of the anchoring conditions, but if I'm to take the oft quoted advice to "just go one anchor heavier than recommended," well, the Danforth is the only anchor I can lift without a windlass! Are the newer ones really better, or just larger and heavier? I've got a new anchor idea that will set instantly in any bottom and never drag -- it's a concrete block and I recommend 10,000 lbs for a 40 footer. I win!

Seriously, what am I missing, and what size (of each!) do I need for the Chesapeake on a 34 foot 12,000 lb Sabre sailboat? I figure that the "best" anchor is the lightest (and/or cheapest) anchor that provides "X" level of comfort. Right now, based on the various recommendation tables, that is a Danforth -- but I don't think I believe it!

I'm having trouble with the concept that I need to scrap the 25lb anchor that has made the boat happy for 30 years, and "step up" to a new and better style anchor that weighs 50% more! Seems it should get smaller, or at least provide better comfort for the same weight.

No, I'm not a troll, but it probably does the job...

Harry
Rantum Scoot
Sabre 34
Annapolis, MD
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor