Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.33 average. Display Modes
Old 13-12-2019, 07:54   #1

Any early retirees turned cruisers with big careers have regrets?

Just curious if there are any people out there in this camp with wisdom to provide:

- Retired 55 or earlier - meaning zero paid work, only living on investments
- Highly compensated in their profession (arbitrarily picking $250k or higher)
- Enjoyed their career, loved their work/people
- Substantial assets that allow for a comfortable life at sea
- Paid for boat, no other debt
- Meaning $100k or much greater budget that is not a stretch
- Means to transition back to land life no problem
- Ability to park the boat and take a 3 month break or greater
- Married happily with no underlying issues (basically extremely happy already)

We aren't planning on leaving in the next year or two, just enjoying life right now at what I'd call a very low stress pace. I do read about couples who've gone and failed, or worse yet end up divorced...I can't imagine that being us, but I would imagine most people were like that starting out.

So with that, anybody regret going, regret walking away from a gig that you enjoyed. Any marital tips for the cruisers to be?

Also, I understand this is the internet and people like to say shitty things, but I've interacted with some great people on this forum and legitimately looking for people who have blazed the trail before us and what they might be able to share.
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2019, 08:08   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Any early retirees turnerd cruisers with big careers have regrets?

I don't qualify, given having been an academic (money) or totally happy in my career (loved parts of it) and age (quit at 66, but still hopping over fences at 74).

But....

That's such a complex question that votes among people who have done it are not really going to help you. I can make a recommendation. Start doing what you want to do in retirement while still in your career, assumedly cruising with your spouse. The tragedy would be cutting your bridges to your career, setting out cruising, and finding that one or both of you don't like that life.

Some career regret I should think is always there, unless you hate it; I certainly miss teaching undergraduates. Realize that retired life is also unstructured. My wife asked me what I plan to do today, I could not tell her, and a 11:00 AM I'm still pecking away at the computer.

Good luck with your dream.
Old 13-12-2019, 08:13   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol1970 View Post
Just curious if there are any people out there in this camp with wisdom to provide:

We aren't planning on leaving in the next year or two, just enjoying life right now at what I'd call a very low stress pace. I do read about couples who've gone and failed, or worse yet end up divorced...I can't imagine that being us, but I would imagine most people were like that starting out.

So with that, anybody regret going, regret walking away from a gig that you enjoyed. Any marital tips for the cruisers to be?

Also, I understand this is the internet and people like to say shitty things, but I've interacted with some great people on this forum and legitimately looking for people who have blazed the trail before us and what they might be able to share.

Legitimate questions if you're considering pulling the trigger.

In my case, am able to retire early but have chosen not to. Chartering around the world takes care of my sailing itch for now.

I'm hoping to have many years to cruise full time should we decide to do so.
Old 13-12-2019, 08:16   #4

Who would admit such a thing at the the risk of sounding pretentious? Exposing monthly expenses is one thing. Exposing ones portfolio is another thing entirely.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2019, 08:33   #5

Boat: PDQ, Capella 36 catamaran

Marital advice only here.
Bot a catamaran at 45 yrs of age - best friend died of cardio failure ... it was a wake up for us. Not intending to retire we sailed the eastern seaboard and Caribbean for two years and then back to work.
Knew nothing about sailing and the week of lessons we were to get from seller melted into an evening and then we were on our own.

Two years later we were salty dogs and this is the boiled down version of rules!
Sail without agenda ... never NEED to be somewhere at a certain time, it could kill you.
Sail in fair winds only ... you will get a few bad days anyway.
I'm a lion, however the wife is a timid soul ... use her as YOUR barometer (don't scare her).
SAIL where you are going (if it's a blow boat) - our mantra: "If it's not blowing we're not going" after all, what is the hurry?
Spartanacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2019, 09:14   #6
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Didn’t have a”career” but had a big paying job. Boy am I happy to not be doing it anymore. I spent that last 8 years doing it with my eye firmly on the cruising goal.
Old 13-12-2019, 09:16   #7
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:

Well now that real all of it, why would you leave such a great life
Old 13-12-2019, 09:20   #8

Boat: Outbound 44

You probably cut out most responders when you say a $250k annual income with very low stress pace. Not sure their are a lot of those low stress positions around.
Old 13-12-2019, 09:30   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
You probably cut out most responders when you say a $250k annual income with very low stress pace. Not sure their are a lot of those low stress positions around.
True that.....

" According to IRS data, 95 percent make less than $167,000 a year"
Old 13-12-2019, 09:46   #10

I retired at 50 from a pretty easy, but stressful job as a VP. I could have made a ton more money if I had worked another 10 years. I was at the top of my earning curve. I have mixed feelings. Would like to have that money to hand down to my kids for sure. But I live fine and had a ton of fun cruising.
Doing it all over again, I'm not sure what I would do. But probably would work maybe 5 more years...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2019, 10:12   #11

Boat: Riva 48

People come to cruising from all walks of life. I would not recommend cruising if you just want a lifestyle change. You might as well try living in various countries and enjoying the local culture.

Real cruising makes sense if you are passionate for the sea and living in the sea. Not a marina lifestyle but actual sea life. It is lonely (just the two of you) and few of your friends will understand the lifestyle. It could be ultimately very rewarding but you need to search for and find that passion. In my case, I did it at the age of 44 fully understanding that one day I have to go back to the corporate lifestyle. Not necessarily for the money but for the social aspect, the kids and wife’s friends. I do not regret it but it is a stage in life, it is not an end of life commitment.

Most people do it as an end of life/post retirement choice. Few would continue to do it for more than 4-5 years if they had the means you have. You have some hard thinking to do but since you can always go back I would say go for it. I did and would do it again.

SV Pizzazz (kids 9&11)
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2019, 10:22   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I retired at 50 from a pretty easy, but stressful job as a VP. I could have made a ton more money if I had worked another 10 years. I was at the top of my earning curve. I have mixed feelings. Would like to have that money to hand down to my kids for sure. But I live fine and had a ton of fun cruising.
Doing it all over again, I'm not sure what I would do. But probably would work maybe 5 more years...

That was me, but I was mid 50’s. I would have stayed and worked longer but I couldn’t look at myself in the morning knowing what was going on at work, pure lack of integrity and honesty, when questioned the shocked answer was “it’s just business”
So I retired, I would have gone longer if the business hadn’t changed.

However I’m glad I did, in truth not many of us have JIm and Ann Kate’s health and stamina, I know for sure I couldn’t do it at their age.
Plus the Wife is already Jonesing for a house.

We could of course buy a house, but then I’m afraid it would be tough to get her out of it, and financially it makes more sense to wait.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2019, 10:28   #13

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
True that.....

" According to IRS data, 95 percent make less than $167,000 a year"
It was the low stress that I was pointing out. Lots of folks make good and large annual incomes. I just don't know anyone with one of these jobs that thinks its low stress. You know the low stress cardiac surgeon, the low stress Colombia River Bar pilot, .....
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2019, 10:46   #14

Quote:

We pretty well match your list to a T. No regrets, enjoying time on the boat with each other and exploring from the Great Lakes to the Caribbean. I do believe if you have a shaky marriage cruising to the islands won't improve it.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2019, 10:59   #15

I don't really think the issue of cruising matters here. Some people retire early and regret it. Others work later into life and end up wishing they had retired sooner. Sometimes, when one retires, the couple discovers that they really don't like spending that much time together. Other times the couple's relationship flourishes, because they love having so much time together.

Different people are different. Each one of us has to figure out who we are and what we want out of life, and then live it.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser