Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29-01-2024, 16:59   #1

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.5
What's your anchoring etiquette

Hey all! So we've Now put on over 1500 miles under our boat! It's been an amazing dream. Also, if mods want to move this post to a more appropriate forum, go ahead. This is certainly an anchoring-related question however:

We're here anchoring in the different spots in Baja and there have been hilarious moments where we have an entire Bay to ourself, miles of depth-stable shelf (such as Magdalena Bay) and then another boat comes and anchors a few boat lengths away. Today we're in a very small Bay, Ballandra Bay outside of Loreto happily anchored under two anchors as close to shore as we can get. Maybe a hundred feet from being aground in the shallows.

A few days ago another 41' boat anchored right next to us and for the first time ever I actually rowed out to them and let them know that my boat swings a lot and I thought it was dangerous (I knew their boat was a swinger as well being another Hunter). They agreed and said they were already moving which they did - much appreciated. This is when I put out a second anchor to help reduce our risk, also given that a strong Northerly was coming in, I was glad to help everyone out. That being said, there was plenty of safe (but I acknowledge less 'prime') spots in the bay. If I hadn't done 2 anchors, our swinger boats might have snuck a little kiss in the night.

Then a catamaran came in yesterday and anchored even closer! Today they got within about one and a half boat lengths away - drifting during a calm, when I finally said in a friendly 'win-friends-and-influence-people' voice (no need to even shout here due to the distance) 'how far do you think you'll drift'? To which the captain assured me that 'I was fine' (I think a freudian slip on her part) and that she'd re-anchor, which she did - about 50 feet further away.

The next catamaran that came in (it's been a busy day), unlike this lady, clearly was assessing the scene and gave adequate room. I motioned to him about my two anchors, and he gave me a wave of understanding. Seemed more responsible.

However, I barely consider myself an intermediate cruiser at best, so I put it to the community of experts - what is proper given the circumstances that you cruise in? I generally use radar and try to get 300', but settle for ~200 or so from other boats. Do you have a distance? Obviously, different conditions and areas can change this. So what do you do in your area?

I don't pretend to own the oceans, I just want to not hit anyone or anything, and get a good night's sleep. Cheers
sv_isara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring