Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2024, 10:23   #16

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: What's your anchoring etiquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I know many folks dislike the local custom where I am of routinely deploying bow and stern hooks, but, man, we really don't have the same kind of 2 am conflicts here.
If everyone does it, and everyone knows to do it, then it works great. There were a few anchorages on the north shore of Lake Superior where this was the case. It was always quite obvious, and worked great.

It's when someone decides to double-anchor in an otherwise typical anchorage where the practice is uncommon. That's when it screws up the whole area.
Old 30-01-2024, 10:26   #17

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
If everyone does it, and everyone knows to do it, then it works great. There were a few anchorages on the north shore of Lake Superior where this was the case. It was always quite obvious, and worked great.

It's when someone decides to double-anchor in an otherwise typical anchorage where the practice is uncommon. That's when it screws up the whole area.
Yep, I totally agree.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2024, 10:35   #18

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
In a really crowded anchorage, say 20' deep, and typical conditions everyone might have between 5:1 and 7:1 scope. So that is 100-140 feet of rode. You can pull right up behind another boat, like 5 feet behind them as close as you can get without hitting them, and drop your anchor right there. While you are close and dropping your anchor, ask the other boat how much rode they have out, and let out exactly the same amount. If they let out 100', that would put you about 80' behind them, and you will be safe. If the wind reverses, they will then be 80' behind you.
This should work if everyone is lying to the wind ... but in a calm anchorage there is little relation between where a boat is on the surface and where its anchor is set ... A slight breeze or current and the boat will swing around the point where the chain leaves the seabed not the anchor. The anchor could easily be behind the direction the boat is facing.

I usually try to leave as much space between where I drop my anchor and other boats as the amount of chain I deploy. So if they're using similar scope then I shouldn't have dropped between their anchor and boat. Fortunately I can usually avoid anchorages where this isn't possible.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2024, 10:36   #19

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Etiquette is often in the eye of the beholder imo. It is a personal belief and, unfortunately but not surprisingly, there are different opinions about what it is. All you can do is what you originally did, talk reasonably to the boat that has moored too close (your opinion) to you. They'll either agree and move or disagree and stay where they are. If they stay, it's your remaining option to move ... and that's all you can do to solve the (your) problem.
I agree with Wholybee's comments re anchoring in a crowded anchorage ... ours tend to be deeper and well protected so a little less scope required imo. I'll often anchor a little closer to someone than I could (but maintaining my view of necessary separation) to discourage the next one in from anchoring between us. First one in gets to choose their spot unhindered, next ones have to accommodate who's already in ... or not. If they don't (again your opinion), and reasonable discussion doesn't get them to move, your only choice is to move yourself.
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2024, 10:53   #20

Boat: Catalina 22, Ovni 39

All of the above is good. On the other hand, if we get to a nice spot and anchor, and it is daylight and other boats start to come at us to anchor, I just take my fat wrinkly old body up on deck in the smallest bathing suit possible with a vino in my hand. I rarely have to say anything at all, other than a friendly wave, and they, for some reason, give me space. At night however, this does not work well.
tombeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2024, 11:10   #21

Boat: EuroCat 2000 71 ft

Anchor huggers !! We look for privacy and have a powerful sound system. If an inexperienced yachtie approaches , the action - put heavy metal on the sound system and remove most of one's clothing . Works a treat , except once and I won't repeat that here !!
BobFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2024, 12:34   #22

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

From my experience, it sounds as though the OP is doing well, showing courtesy and avoiding confrontations. When we approach a crowded anchorage, we usually make a couple of 'drive-bys', (loops around the anchorage) asking, with a friendly smile, to those who appear on deck how much scope do the have out, if they've been there long, anything we should know about, even if it's a known anchorage to us. I think, for the most part, people like to be consulted.

On too many occasions, we've had boats anchor much too close to us but I rarely make an issue out of it unless I perceive the situation to be dangerous. No glares, no dirty looks, no bad vibes. On the few times where I've been concerned, I might say something like, "Ah, Captain, it looks like we're uncomfortably close - what do you think?" Unfortunately, there have been times that even though I've been anchored longer (unofficially giving me priority status), I've moved our boat.

I think Anchoring Etiquette is, partially, a combination of Common Sense and the Golden Rule.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2024, 14:11   #23

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

@ sv isara,

Lovely place, Baja. Congrats on getting started cruising.

You're expecting to have "too much" space around you. Especially when estimating how much "dancing" at anchor you will do compared to other boats. Generally what happens is that the breeze goes light at night (unless a Coromuel comes in), and the boats all lie pretty much in line. This is not true in La Paz, where you get the wind against the tide waltzing which is common when there is a body of water behind a narrow entrance, and is a circumstance as you go further from home you will find occasionally, particularly in rivers.

As suggested above, a riding sail could make a huge difference for you, and is the most seamanlike solution to that problem of hunting, if you can figure out how to set it. It always takes more time to retrieve two anchors than one, and if you have a big wind shift, you could be in a world of hurt because your boat will not yield to the wind's new direction.

What we used to do was anchor well away from the little cluster of first-in boats. Less folks come and anchor by the isolate. The first in ones always pick what they perceive to be the "best" spot, and the next ones want to be as close to the "best spot" as they can be. It is just how it is. If you are not supplied with a dinghy that will get you to shore, I would consider that you need better dinghy transport, because there are times when you will not want to swim ashore. Also, there are many places where "close in to shore" is where you most want to not be! It invites swim-out-from shore robberies; grants much better access to your bodies for blood to jejenes [no-see-ums/sandflies] and mozzies. There are places where one has to anchor in shallow water (10 ft. or less), but, by and large, get used to anchoring comfortably in deep water (45-50 ft) if you want to circumnavigate. Look at some of the depths in the Societies, for instance: ~80 ft. 3:1 scope will do you, on chain.

Ann
Old 30-01-2024, 16:27   #24

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

You might try an offset (side) bridle to stop the hunting: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...or-277951.html
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2024, 16:55   #25

Boat: Nauticat 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_isara View Post
Hey all! So we've Now put on over 1500 miles under our boat! It's been an amazing dream. Also, if mods want to move this post to a more appropriate forum, go ahead. This is certainly an anchoring-related question however:

We're here anchoring in the different spots in Baja and there have been hilarious moments where we have an entire Bay to ourself, miles of depth-stable shelf (such as Magdalena Bay) and then another boat comes and anchors a few boat lengths away. Today we're in a very small Bay, Ballandra Bay outside of Loreto happily anchored under two anchors as close to shore as we can get. Maybe a hundred feet from being aground in the shallows.

A few days ago another 41' boat anchored right next to us and for the first time ever I actually rowed out to them and let them know that my boat swings a lot and I thought it was dangerous (I knew their boat was a swinger as well being another Hunter). They agreed and said they were already moving which they did - much appreciated. This is when I put out a second anchor to help reduce our risk, also given that a strong Northerly was coming in, I was glad to help everyone out. That being said, there was plenty of safe (but I acknowledge less 'prime') spots in the bay. If I hadn't done 2 anchors, our swinger boats might have snuck a little kiss in the night.

Then a catamaran came in yesterday and anchored even closer! Today they got within about one and a half boat lengths away - drifting during a calm, when I finally said in a friendly 'win-friends-and-influence-people' voice (no need to even shout here due to the distance) 'how far do you think you'll drift'? To which the captain assured me that 'I was fine' (I think a freudian slip on her part) and that she'd re-anchor, which she did - about 50 feet further away.

The next catamaran that came in (it's been a busy day), unlike this lady, clearly was assessing the scene and gave adequate room. I motioned to him about my two anchors, and he gave me a wave of understanding. Seemed more responsible.

However, I barely consider myself an intermediate cruiser at best, so I put it to the community of experts - what is proper given the circumstances that you cruise in? I generally use radar and try to get 300', but settle for ~200 or so from other boats. Do you have a distance? Obviously, different conditions and areas can change this. So what do you do in your area?

I don't pretend to own the oceans, I just want to not hit anyone or anything, and get a good night's sleep. Cheers

First off; Congratulations on your 1500 miles of cruising! Quite a feat.
We are no experts, but, like you, find ourselves in the Sea of Cortez. I would guess you are using Shawn and Heather’s, “Cruisers Guidebook.” If so, know that everyone else is as well. When we pull into a cove occupied by a boat or two, invariably they are smack dab on the “X” in the book. I study the book and look for all the other options related to the cove; mostly, anticipated wind, and then pick a similar spot AWAY from the, “X marks the spot.” This technique has served us well.
If someone was to anchor on top of us, I’d invite them over for sundowners, make new friends and somehow, surreptitiously weave the subject of anchoring etiquette into the conversation.
Also, we generally have the kayaks in the water and paddle over to say hello. Great way to meet fellow cruisers.

My cruising ethos;
None of us are experts. We learn something everyday. We see **** most people only dream of. We help each other, humbly. If we wanted to go fast, we’d buy a speedboat.

Cheers!
rbrazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2024, 19:01   #26

If I am coming into an anchorage I have normally picked the spot I want long before I arrive. If the anchorage is relatively empty, except for a boat near my planned spot, I use 0.1 NM as my guide.

I always come into an anchorage with my radar on, and the range rings are an easy way to be precise in positioning my anchor. If there is a lot of room, a tenth of a mile seems to me to be a respectful distance unless there is a VERY good reason to be closer. I do not NEED to be that close of course, but if you are anchored right in front of the dinghy dock is seems unreasonable to expect the next boat in to anchor a mile away.

In a very crowded anchorage, 200 feet is my MNIMUM distance from other boats to drop my anchor. Sometimes it can take a lot of searching to find that much room.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2024, 08:17   #27

Boat: Sceptre 41

OK, I admit it... I've been one of those boaters who sometimes gives the "stink eye" to those who come in and anchor (in my estimation) too close.

However, this occurs (the "stink eye") much less since I started using a laser rangefinder. It usually turns out the new boat is NOT too close. My "eyeball" estimates were biased towards the short side. So less (no) drama and happier all round.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2024, 08:44   #28

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Just to give another perspective, I've met some really nice folks that collided with us after their anchors dragged. Bad stuff happens to anyone and everyone. My motto is "there is always more room in the anchorage for one more boat," and sometimes it has been my boat! Unless someone is being unreasonable or unsafe, cut them some slack. It might very well be you needing that tight anchorage in the future.
Old 31-01-2024, 09:00   #29

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Just to give another perspective, I've met some really nice folks that collided with us after their anchors dragged. Bad stuff happens to anyone and everyone. My motto is "there is always more room in the anchorage for one more boat," and sometimes it has been my boat! Unless someone is being unreasonable or unsafe, cut them some slack. It might very well be you needing that tight anchorage in the future.

Well said. Too often, these discussions seem to take the perspective of 'protecting my turf.' How about finding ways to let as many in as possible?

When we anchor, one of the factors I consider is how to leave as much space for others that might come in after me. I try and pick a spot as far away as I can (guided by be safe and sound, of course), so that other boats can find space. This usually means picking a spot further in than others like, or being further out. Going to the edge, in general.

ADD: I have to admit, where I cruise now, it's rare to even see another recreational vessel. So I do have it easy these days. But I have cruised in very busy areas as well... same principles apply in both.
Old 31-01-2024, 11:21   #30

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrazil View Post

First off; Congratulations on your 1500 miles of cruising! Quite a feat.
We are no experts, but, like you, find ourselves in the Sea of Cortez. I would guess you are using Shawn and Heather’s, “Cruisers Guidebook.” If so, know that everyone else is as well. When we pull into a cove occupied by a boat or two, invariably they are smack dab on the “X” in the book. I study the book and look for all the other options related to the cove; mostly, anticipated wind, and then pick a similar spot AWAY from the, “X marks the spot.” This technique has served us well.
If someone was to anchor on top of us, I’d invite them over for sundowners, make new friends and somehow, surreptitiously weave the subject of anchoring etiquette into the conversation.
Also, we generally have the kayaks in the water and paddle over to say hello. Great way to meet fellow cruisers.

My cruising ethos;
None of us are experts. We learn something everyday. We see **** most people only dream of. We help each other, humbly. If we wanted to go fast, we’d buy a speedboat.

Cheers!
Thank you! I'll see you in Petaluma. Or Baja We're closing in on 2k miles in a few days.
sv_isara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring