Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2024, 16:26   #46

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: What's your anchoring etiquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
In terms of safety, I find I grossly over estimate the amount of space I need.

In terms of comfort, I find I grossly under estimate the amount of space I need.
You're not the only one who feels that way! The only thing one can reasonably do is try and find places to anchor that are not marked with anchor symbols in cruising guides. They generally may not offer quite as good holding, but the seclusion is often an important value to heed, as well.

We have upped anchor and gone elsewhere. But we are often in the right place for the wind shift. One may fall asleep while it's pretty bouncy, and set the hook in adverse conditions, but by the time the shift comes in, it has only been getting better during our sleep.

Ann
Old 02-02-2024, 07:27   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Canadian Logic:
If I can hit you with a Hockey Stick (and I will) ➛ You're too close.

I'm not a typically apologetic Canadian.
I'm sorry, I'm just not.

Even when I screw up, I never say I'm sorry.
I say that I'm safe, instead.
I've heard it's better.

FWIW: In Canada most/all Provinces have a law that states: Saying [I'm] "sorry", is NOT and admission of fault.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 07:51   #48

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
You're not the only one who feels that way! The only thing one can reasonably do is try and find places to anchor that are not marked with anchor symbols in cruising guides. They generally may not offer quite as good holding, but the seclusion is often an important value to heed, as well.

We have upped anchor and gone elsewhere. But we are often in the right place for the wind shift. One may fall asleep while it's pretty bouncy, and set the hook in adverse conditions, but by the time the shift comes in, it has only been getting better during our sleep.

Ann
I had the opposite but was just fine. I rode out 77mph sustained winds for several hours at anchor recently (it was forecast 25 and a couple of miles from me saw 95) behind a mangrove hammock. I binged season 5 of of GoT
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 07:05   #49

Huge variables here but inevitably skippers all with diverse experience levels have a different comfort level about proximity. As a circumnavigator I found that the further away one was from the local yachty areas, the fewer anchoring proximity issues occurred. Thus understandably, experience tends to reduce the number of skippers who anchor improperly. While obviously chartererers are not completely representative of those who misjudge their anchoring, in my experience, many do. So in places where there is a lot of chartering watch out! I won't bore people with war stories but I think there is a certain discipline needed to admit a mistake and move. Too many will not, in fairness perhaps because they do not realize they are too close. I've even seen skippers reduce scope to reduce proximity! On the other hand as a skipper, do not hesitate to move to safety if a recalcitrant and incompetent skipper fails to correct an anchoring misjudgment. We all can misjudge; the responsible will take the time to correct the error.
argonauta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 10:59   #50

Boat: Lagoon 450S

Quote:
Originally Posted by argonauta1 View Post
Huge variables here but inevitably skippers all with diverse experience levels have a different comfort level about proximity. As a circumnavigator I found that the further away one was from the local yachty areas, the fewer anchoring proximity issues occurred. Thus understandably, experience tends to reduce the number of skippers who anchor improperly. While obviously chartererers are not completely representative of those who misjudge their anchoring, in my experience, many do. So in places where there is a lot of chartering watch out! I won't bore people with war stories but I think there is a certain discipline needed to admit a mistake and move. Too many will not, in fairness perhaps because they do not realize they are too close. I've even seen skippers reduce scope to reduce proximity! On the other hand as a skipper, do not hesitate to move to safety if a recalcitrant and incompetent skipper fails to correct an anchoring misjudgment. We all can misjudge; the responsible will take the time to correct the error.
argonauta1 knows! I agree; the further afield you get, the less likely you are to find clueless sailors. Most sailors don't sail far from home, and you don't find charter boats in remote locations.

I'm a full-time cruiser, spending about 300 nights a year swinging on my anchor. Just this morning, we picked up our anchor, moved 50 meters, and dropped the hook in a better location. It only takes a couple of close calls out here to realize a small inconvenience now may save your butt later.
SV Coronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 11:31   #51

Boat: EuroCat 2000 71 ft

Yesterday I moved anchorage ,Kingfisher , Fraser Island , and pulled up a Manson in good condition but obviously with a heap of chain attached. No other boats within 500 feet and nobody was bothered ! My windlass could only raise it to just below surface . Sadly , had to noose and let it go !!. Anyhow, regarding anchoring etiquette - at this anchorage ,over weekend , there were (8) yachts . One vessel ,about half mile away , cranked up a Genny and ran until 2.00am. Didn't bother me but pity the other yachts !There should be a law against rabid generators AND drunks !!
BobFord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 11:43   #52

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobFord View Post
Anyhow, regarding anchoring etiquette - at this anchorage ,over weekend , there were (8) yachts . One vessel ,about half mile away , cranked up a Genny and ran until 2.00am. Didn't bother me but pity the other yachts !There should be a law against rabid generators AND drunks !!
Agreed. But at least there is some necessity to a generator (usually). What I find completely offensive is when someone decides the whole anchorage must listen to their music. If someone wants to blast their music, then wear headphones, or earbuds!
Old 05-02-2024, 12:43   #53

I like to run my gen often as we are quite the power pigs, air conditioning included. I did add a GenSep... https://www.fisheriessupply.com/cent...eparator...you need to pull your dingy up to my stern to hear if the gen is running. About $1800 or so installed.

If we get to a crowded anchorage we usually just leave unless the next one is more than a few hours. I'm only captain of my own boat so if things get too crowded etc it's up to only me what I decide to do...usually nothing. I leave other boats to their own captains.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 15:23   #54

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

I never disliked French boats until cruising in the Caribbean for several years, for some reason they will anchor as close as possible to me even in a huge empty anchorage. Then feign ignorance of English when nicely asked to move a little. Don't know if it's a leftover habit from crowded anchorages in Europe or just their way of getting to know people. /One on a very large Swan basically took my stern rail off, with my outboard mounted to it, then took off, when radioed for insurance info he suddenly forgot his English.
So never be afraid to ask someone to move, it could save you much stress, always ask in a polite way of course.
If I've been in an anchorage for a few days I'll inform the person of current changes during tide changes, winds, holding quality and the average length of chain surrounding boats have deployed. Most are quite happy to oblige and it's actually turned into sundowners aboard their boat in appreciation for the info.
Every anchorage has a mix of boats and styles, most are quite happy to cooperate but there is always one. In one instance an older gent who was quite stubborn and obnoxious refused to move, he dropped anchor, flipped me off then left in his dinghy. When the tide changed his boatswung directly into mine, I called the harbor master and the coast guard to report it and see if they could persuade the individual to move it. His wife was left aboard and was just as obnoxious as he was, sat in her cockpit and did nothing to help. When I asked her to call her husband she told me to go have sex with myself. So I told her she was a danger to my boat and I was cutting her rode, and sending them adrift, that got her attention. Fortunately the harbor master came up about that time and ordered them to leave the anchorage, I found out later he had previously had issues with this individual.
Better to be courteous and helpful in anchoring situations, I've helped many shorthanded crews anchor in dodgy situations, it's just common courtesy, since we all will need a hand at one time or another.
Unfortunately when push comes to shove you have to act in the best interest of your boat and crew, jut make sure you follow the rules when doing so.
Kill them with kindness.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 15:35   #55

This happens all the time with these huge cat ********. They anchor so close. WTF is wrong with some people. I am in a river, there is a lot of room, 6 boats all spread out, and this huge cat anchors right in between two boats.
cakesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 15:35   #56

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Agreed. But at least there is some necessity to a generator (usually). What I find completely offensive is when someone decides the whole anchorage must listen to their music. If someone wants to blast their music, then wear headphones, or earbuds!
Many years ago we were anchored in a cove in Narragansett Bay, a power boat came in about sunset, put an ancient gas powered generator on their fordeck, started it then went below to run their air conditioning and TV. The generator had no muffler, it was really bad judgement on their part.
Another sailor dinghied over and politely asked them to cease and desist. You probably already know what the individual told him to do, so the gentleman jumped up on the deck and proceeded to shut it off and then wa going to toss it overboard. Did I mention the sailor was a rather large muscular individual? The power boat captain was flipping out, but too afraid to do anything, everyone in the anchorage was cheering. Fortunately the large muscular individual gave him the choice of keeping it off, or losing it.
He chose to keep it off, stow it and leave in a hurry. He got a group cheer when leaving. It was pretty entertaining to watch while sipping a cocktail.
Who says boating is all work and no fun?
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 16:19   #57

Boat: Jeanneau SO469

My feeling is that in a popular harbor all I should expect is enough clearance to not hit each other. For privacy I go for less populated options. And I agree with other comments that two anchors will affect swing of course and might lead to a collision. In addition to all the published information that the geometry of a single anchor is most often stronger holding than two I suggest reviewing this practice. But if you are first to anchor it is your choice. If following others already anchored it is usual to avoid an unexpected anchoring style.
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2024, 09:35   #58

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
OK, I admit it... I've been one of those boaters who sometimes gives the "stink eye" to those who come in and anchor (in my estimation) too close.

However, this occurs (the "stink eye") much less since I started using a laser rangefinder. It usually turns out the new boat is NOT too close. My "eyeball" estimates were biased towards the short side. So less (no) drama and happier all round.
What type of rangefinder do you use? I’m a confessed gadget guy and sometimes stress about this issue when I probably don’t need to.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2024, 16:03   #59

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
What type of rangefinder do you use? I’m a confessed gadget guy and sometimes stress about this issue when I probably don’t need to.
A few years ago:
https://www.amazon.ca/Wosports-Yards..._rpt_ba_s_1_sc

Same price approx today with additional features (such as angle). I find the "flag finder" excellent for distance to crabtraps etc.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2024, 03:09   #60

Boat: SEAHAWK 48 ketch

Does anyone, has anyone heard of a cursing book of etiquette?
Bmorgan562 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring