Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2024, 14:21   #1

Boat: Little Harbor 46 (1988)
Raymarine AIS650 failure

Hi, I’m helping a friend with a new-to-him boat. It has Raymarine electronics including an AIS650 transceiver. This seemed to work fine as we could see AIS targets on his chart plotter, and other boats could pick us up, but with the previous name of the boat. I wanted to simply change the name of the boat in the system, not the MMSI.

The indicator light on the box was always green.

I downloaded the management software for the AIS650 and followed the instructions to connect a usb wire to the box. The software initially identified the AIS650 and started doing an update. Then the software said the update failed and to try again. But the green light was now off and the software can no longer find the unit. Also the unit obviously isn’t putting out any signal. When I power off the breaker and flip it back on the light goes green for an instant but then dead again. It won’t stay on. I’ve tested voltages and it’s all good.

I’ve done a number of these in the past on different brands of ais black boxes. All quick and easy. This failure has me stumped. I can’t seem to get the unit to come back on, let alone reprogram it. It seems very strange that an attempted update could kill the unit.

Advice? Thanks.
jr_spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2024, 22:46   #2

Re: Raymarine AIS650 failure

I have programmed 100's of AIS and never once seen one try to do an update...

sounds like you have bricked it.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 06:02   #3

Re: Raymarine AIS650 failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_spyder View Post
downloaded the management software for the AIS650 and followed the instructions to connect a usb wire to the box. The software initially identified the AIS650 and started doing an update. Then the software said the update failed and to try again. But the green light was now off and the software can no longer find the unit. Also the unit obviously isn’t putting out any signal. When I power off the breaker and flip it back on the light goes green for an instant but then dead again. It won’t stay on. I’ve tested voltages and it’s all good.
Hi! The exact same thing just happened to me.
I contacted my local Raymarine dealer and his suggestion was to try software update using SD card, which is proper way to perform a software update. I will try that later, hopefully that helps.
CptCostello is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, marine, raymarine