Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2011, 10:37   #136
Registered User
 
doug86's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Between Block Island and Bahamas
Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE
Posts: 715
Re: Stern Light at Anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens1 View Post
And, for sure, you have to switch off other navigational lights. And the term navigational lights refers ONLY to navigational lights.
Nolex would like to use his stern light as a courtesy light when he is anchored, and perhaps even leave it on all night to make his boat more visible to other craft. He has always stated that he would also be burning a proper anchor light. He believes that because ANY white light on his stern could be confused with a stern light, using the actual stern light isn't more confusing and therefore Rule 20 (b) doesn't apply:

"The Rules concerning lights shall be complied with from sunset to sunrise, and during such times no other lights shall be exhibited, except such lights which cannot be mistaken for the lights specified in these Rules..."
__________________
"When one is willing to go without, then one is free to go." - doug86
doug86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 10:46   #137
Moderator
 
noelex 77's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Boat: Bestevaer.
Posts: 12,571
Re: Stern Light at Anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitain Mike View Post
Better a wind gen at night than a jenny at night. If there is no wind then no sound from the wind gen. If wind is going to be too strong then most wind jens are tie up early.

I the chap wants to live as though on land then get a caravan!!!! or stay in an hotel.
Its not a double standard wind gens only charge up when there is wind a petrol jen can be run day and night.
I have on particular objection to wind generators. We all have to share the anchorage.
Besides how can you get stressed cruising?
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 10:54   #138
Registered User
 
Capitain Mike's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Amorgos Greece Mediterranean Sea
Boat: Cobra 850
Posts: 249
Send a message via Yahoo to Capitain Mike Send a message via Skype™ to Capitain Mike
Re: Stern Light at Anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
I have on particular objection to wind generators. We all have to share the anchorage.
Besides how can you get stressed cruising?
Sorry does that read.
I have no particular objection to wind generators. We all have to share the anchorage. Besides how can you get stressed cruising?

Or
I have an particular objection to wind generators. We all have to share the anchorage. Besides how can you get stressed cruising?
Capitain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 11:42   #139
Registered User
 
markpierce's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Central California
Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Posts: 3,756
Re: Stern Light at Anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
... Carry a small flashlight in the dinghy for the boarding ladder problem. ...
If operating a small dinghy at night without its own navigation lights, one should, no, must be carrying a flashlight or other suitable light source on the dinghy to make its presence known to other vessels.
__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 12:13   #140
Moderator
 
noelex 77's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Boat: Bestevaer.
Posts: 12,571
Re: Stern Light at Anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitain Mike View Post
Sorry does that read.
I have no particular objection to wind generators. We all have to share the anchorage. Besides how can you get stressed cruising?

Or
I have an particular objection to wind generators. We all have to share the anchorage. Besides how can you get stressed cruising?
Sorry for the typo
I haver no particular objection to wind generators. We all have to share the anchorage. Besides how can you get stressed cruising?
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 12:34   #141
Moderator
 
noelex 77's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Boat: Bestevaer.
Posts: 12,571
Re: Stern Light at Anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
If operating a small dinghy at night without its own navigation lights, one should, no, must be carrying a flashlight or other suitable light source on the dinghy to make its presence known to other vessels.
Good advice.
The reality is i have not seen a dingy with any lights or flashlight for about a year and I live at anchor. I donít think its sensible , but that is how it is at least in this part of the world.
Most of the small fishing boats donít have any functioning lights except the squid boats that have an extremely bright white butane powered light at their bow. They are easy to spot , but the light is so bright they cannot actually see much themselves including boats at anchor.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 13:38   #142
Registered User
 
Capitain Mike's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Amorgos Greece Mediterranean Sea
Boat: Cobra 850
Posts: 249
Send a message via Yahoo to Capitain Mike Send a message via Skype™ to Capitain Mike
Wink Re: Stern Light at Anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Good advice.
The reality is i have not seen a dingy with any lights or flashlight for about a year and I live at anchor. I donít think its sensible , but that is how it is at least in this part of the world.
Most of the small fishing boats donít have any functioning lights except the squid boats that have an extremely bright white butane powered light at their bow. They are easy to spot , but the light is so bright they cannot actually see much themselves including boats at anchor.
You are about right there the south coast of the Korinth Sea is bad for that if they are close to shore or just outside the harbour mouth they work by the land lights especially if there is a good moon. You might see a cigarette or two
Capitain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 17:14   #143
Moderator
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 17,971
Re: Stern Light at Anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens1 View Post
I read a lot of good and a lot of anarchic approaches to the problem at the posts above.
Where is the problem in reading that

30. Lights for vessels anchored and aground
  • A vessel at anchor must display an all-round white light or one black ball in the fore part and another all-round white light at or near the stern at a lower level than the light in the fore part. BUT if the vessel is less than 50 meters in length it may exhibit an all-round white light where it can best be seen instead of the lights foresaid.
(Sourece International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

I think that explains all needed. I haven't read at noelex 77's posts how long his boat is, perhaps I missed it within the 134 replies
Anyhow, the boat length combined with COREGS rule 30 is all what we need to answer that question properly. And, for sure, you have to switch off other navigational lights. And the term navigational lights refers ONLY to navigational lights.
I can confirm, the more other lights (NO navigational lights) you switch on laying at anchor the better. Other mariners will appreciate that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug86 View Post
Nolex would like to use his stern light as a courtesy light when he is anchored, and perhaps even leave it on all night to make his boat more visible to other craft. He has always stated that he would also be burning a proper anchor light. He believes that because ANY white light on his stern could be confused with a stern light, using the actual stern light isn't more confusing and therefore Rule 20 (b) doesn't apply:

"The Rules concerning lights shall be complied with from sunset to sunrise, and during such times no other lights shall be exhibited, except such lights which cannot be mistaken for the lights specified in these Rules..."

Well, in reading these two sets of rules, it seems that having a masthead light plus a (lower, as in stern nav light) white light visible from astern meets exactly the rule 30 quoted above. If the observer is forward of the visible arc of the stern light, then the boat still meets the requirements for a vessel of less than 50 meters. Where is the problem with this, Doug86?

Cheers,

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II, working our way back down channel now... enough of city life!
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 00:29   #144
Registered User
 
Jens1's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dierhagen, Germany
Posts: 88
Re: Stern Light at Anchor

What I intended to explain is, that one has to follow COLREGS. The stern light has a limited arc. The anchor light has 360į. It causes more confusion if one is trying to mix both lights than it helps.
If the anchor lights are on and other deck lights in addition all is fine IMO.
__________________
Nothing is before it is.
https://www.fuerstenberg-dhg.de //ECDIS Information/ Gold Site Maritime Web Award
Jens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 09:12   #145
Registered User
 
doug86's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Between Block Island and Bahamas
Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE
Posts: 715
Re: Stern Light at Anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Well, in reading these two sets of rules, it seems that having a masthead light plus a (lower, as in stern nav light) white light visible from astern meets exactly the rule 30 quoted above. If the observer is forward of the visible arc of the stern light, then the boat still meets the requirements for a vessel of less than 50 meters. Where is the problem with this, Doug86?
Jim, I believe you have misread the rule. Rule 30 doesn't say that a boat under 50m can opt to show an all around white light "where it can best be seen" AND and all around white light at the stern. Read it again. What Rule 30 says is that boats at anchor should show one all around white light "in the fore part" (which means close to or at the bow) and one all around white light "near the stern". The rule then proceeds to offer an option for vessels smaller than 50m, which is to exhibit one all around white light "where it can best be seen." It's an either or choice, not a "pick one from column A and one from column B" choice.

If a small vessel opts to comply with the first, over 50m lighting option, then that vessel has no choice but to comply with the entire requirement, which is to show one all around light at the "fore" and another all around at or near the stern. An anchor light that burns at the top of a sailboat mast is not displayed "in the fore" part of the vessel, and therefore that light can't count as one half of the two lights required under the over 50m exhibit.

Call me Doug
__________________
"When one is willing to go without, then one is free to go." - doug86
doug86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 09:26   #146
Registered User
 
Jens1's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dierhagen, Germany
Posts: 88
Re: Stern Light at Anchor

Doug,
Exactly. Thanks for explaining it again with a much better English.

That is it what I intended to explain in my post above.
__________________
Nothing is before it is.
https://www.fuerstenberg-dhg.de //ECDIS Information/ Gold Site Maritime Web Award
Jens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 10:15   #147
Registered User
 
Capitain Mike's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Amorgos Greece Mediterranean Sea
Boat: Cobra 850
Posts: 249
Send a message via Yahoo to Capitain Mike Send a message via Skype™ to Capitain Mike
Re: Stern Light at Anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions and I am aways happy to oblige a CF member.

This is the view of the anchorage, taken today, surprisingly I have not had any complaints about my lights.
Where are you now Paradise Beach Kallarotissa
Capitain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 12:13   #148
Moderator
 
noelex 77's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Boat: Bestevaer.
Posts: 12,571
Re: Stern Light at Anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitain Mike View Post
Where are you now Paradise Beach Kallarotissa
Still anchored at Astipalaia island its beautiful here, but we will move when the wind swings around.
Wednesday looks good 25K SE which would be nice, but its still a bit too early to tell.

I will send you a PM when we arrive (hopefully we will have internet there) and we might be able to hook up.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 13:30   #149
Registered User
 
senormechanico's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2003
Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Posts: 6,879
Re: Stern Light at Anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
The boat on the next moorings over was a Grand Banks trawler in the mid-40's range. He had all his deck lights on from the moment the sun set until (at least) after I went to bed, during which time everyone on his boat was indoors watching a movie. His generator, likewise, ran from sunset until (at least) after I went to bed. When I woke up the following morning, the generator was running and the deck lights were still on.
If that happened to me, I'd get together with a bunch of the rafted boat owners, approach this guy and ask if you all could come over and plug in your raft to recharge? Maybe he'd get the drift...
__________________
One should try to "Die Young" as old as possible.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 14:55   #150
Registered User
 
Capitain Mike's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Amorgos Greece Mediterranean Sea
Boat: Cobra 850
Posts: 249
Send a message via Yahoo to Capitain Mike Send a message via Skype™ to Capitain Mike
Re: Stern Light at Anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Still anchored at Astipalaia island its beautiful here, but we will move when the wind swings around.
Wednesday looks good 25K SE which would be nice, but its still a bit too early to tell.

I will send you a PM when we arrive (hopefully we will have internet there) and we might be able to hook up.
I don't think there is internet at Kaloratissia its to far out. but there is internet at Katapola there are 2 internet cafes there may be more but ask around for hot spots.
In Aegiali there is Wi-Fi in most Tavernas, Marabou, Celinis. Lakki Village hotel along the walk beside the sandy beach and there are a couple closer to the harbour quay Amorgos Wi-Fi (Welcome to Amorgos)

Weather Katapola.








Any way you have my mobile number
Capitain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
anchor

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stern Anchor Roller or Fairlead Dockhead Anchoring & Mooring 20 13-03-2011 03:11
Stern Anchor and Sugar Scoops ? Sabbatical II Anchoring & Mooring 8 22-04-2010 13:50
Stern Anchor Fitting for an 11m Catamaran rivonia Multihull Sailboats 2 16-10-2009 04:47
Stern Anchor Line Reel Tspringer Construction, Maintenance & Refit 1 16-05-2008 01:38
help with a anchor light irwinsailor Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 2 21-06-2004 19:14

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:54.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.