Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2011, 10:37   #136

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE
Re: Stern Light at Anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens1 View Post
And, for sure, you have to switch off other navigational lights. And the term navigational lights refers ONLY to navigational lights.
Nolex would like to use his stern light as a courtesy light when he is anchored, and perhaps even leave it on all night to make his boat more visible to other craft. He has always stated that he would also be burning a proper anchor light. He believes that because ANY white light on his stern could be confused with a stern light, using the actual stern light isn't more confusing and therefore Rule 20 (b) doesn't apply:

"The Rules concerning lights shall be complied with from sunset to sunrise, and during such times no other lights shall be exhibited, except such lights which cannot be mistaken for the lights specified in these Rules..."
Old 23-04-2011, 10:46   #137

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitain Mike View Post
Better a wind gen at night than a jenny at night. If there is no wind then no sound from the wind gen. If wind is going to be too strong then most wind jens are tie up early.

I the chap wants to live as though on land then get a caravan!!!! or stay in an hotel.
Its not a double standard wind gens only charge up when there is wind a petrol jen can be run day and night.
I have on particular objection to wind generators. We all have to share the anchorage.
Besides how can you get stressed cruising?
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 10:54   #138

Boat: Cobra 850
Send a message via Yahoo to Capitain Mike Send a message via Skype™ to Capitain Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
I have on particular objection to wind generators. We all have to share the anchorage.
Besides how can you get stressed cruising?
Sorry does that read.
I have no particular objection to wind generators. We all have to share the anchorage. Besides how can you get stressed cruising?

Or
I have an particular objection to wind generators. We all have to share the anchorage. Besides how can you get stressed cruising?
Capitain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 11:42   #139

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
... Carry a small flashlight in the dinghy for the boarding ladder problem. ...
If operating a small dinghy at night without its own navigation lights, one should, no, must be carrying a flashlight or other suitable light source on the dinghy to make its presence known to other vessels.
Old 23-04-2011, 12:13   #140

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Sorry does that read.
I have no particular objection to wind generators. We all have to share the anchorage. Besides how can you get stressed cruising?

Or
I have an particular objection to wind generators. We all have to share the anchorage. Besides how can you get stressed cruising?
Sorry for the typo
I haver no particular objection to wind generators. We all have to share the anchorage. Besides how can you get stressed cruising?
Old 23-04-2011, 12:34   #141

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
If operating a small dinghy at night without its own navigation lights, one should, no, must be carrying a flashlight or other suitable light source on the dinghy to make its presence known to other vessels.
Good advice.
The reality is i have not seen a dingy with any lights or flashlight for about a year and I live at anchor. I don’t think its sensible , but that is how it is at least in this part of the world.
Most of the small fishing boats don’t have any functioning lights except the squid boats that have an extremely bright white butane powered light at their bow. They are easy to spot , but the light is so bright they cannot actually see much themselves including boats at anchor.
Old 23-04-2011, 13:38   #142

Send a message via Yahoo to Capitain Mike Send a message via Skype™ to Capitain Mike
Wink Re: Stern Light at Anchor

Quote:
Good advice.
The reality is i have not seen a dingy with any lights or flashlight for about a year and I live at anchor. I don’t think its sensible , but that is how it is at least in this part of the world.
Most of the small fishing boats don’t have any functioning lights except the squid boats that have an extremely bright white butane powered light at their bow. They are easy to spot , but the light is so bright they cannot actually see much themselves including boats at anchor.
You are about right there the south coast of the Korinth Sea is bad for that if they are close to shore or just outside the harbour mouth they work by the land lights especially if there is a good moon. You might see a cigarette or two
Old 23-04-2011, 17:14   #143

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens1 View Post
I read a lot of good and a lot of anarchic approaches to the problem at the posts above.
Where is the problem in reading that

30. Lights for vessels anchored and aground
  • A vessel at anchor must display an all-round white light or one black ball in the fore part and another all-round white light at or near the stern at a lower level than the light in the fore part. BUT if the vessel is less than 50 meters in length it may exhibit an all-round white light where it can best be seen instead of the lights foresaid.
(Sourece International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

I think that explains all needed. I haven't read at noelex 77's posts how long his boat is, perhaps I missed it within the 134 replies
Anyhow, the boat length combined with COREGS rule 30 is all what we need to answer that question properly. And, for sure, you have to switch off other navigational lights. And the term navigational lights refers ONLY to navigational lights.
I can confirm, the more other lights (NO navigational lights) you switch on laying at anchor the better. Other mariners will appreciate that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug86 View Post
Nolex would like to use his stern light as a courtesy light when he is anchored, and perhaps even leave it on all night to make his boat more visible to other craft. He has always stated that he would also be burning a proper anchor light. He believes that because ANY white light on his stern could be confused with a stern light, using the actual stern light isn't more confusing and therefore Rule 20 (b) doesn't apply:

"The Rules concerning lights shall be complied with from sunset to sunrise, and during such times no other lights shall be exhibited, except such lights which cannot be mistaken for the lights specified in these Rules..."

Well, in reading these two sets of rules, it seems that having a masthead light plus a (lower, as in stern nav light) white light visible from astern meets exactly the rule 30 quoted above. If the observer is forward of the visible arc of the stern light, then the boat still meets the requirements for a vessel of less than 50 meters. Where is the problem with this, Doug86?

Cheers,

Jim
Old 24-04-2011, 00:29   #144

What I intended to explain is, that one has to follow COLREGS. The stern light has a limited arc. The anchor light has 360°. It causes more confusion if one is trying to mix both lights than it helps.
If the anchor lights are on and other deck lights in addition all is fine IMO.
Old 24-04-2011, 09:12   #145

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Well, in reading these two sets of rules, it seems that having a masthead light plus a (lower, as in stern nav light) white light visible from astern meets exactly the rule 30 quoted above. If the observer is forward of the visible arc of the stern light, then the boat still meets the requirements for a vessel of less than 50 meters. Where is the problem with this, Doug86?
Jim, I believe you have misread the rule. Rule 30 doesn't say that a boat under 50m can opt to show an all around white light "where it can best be seen" AND and all around white light at the stern. Read it again. What Rule 30 says is that boats at anchor should show one all around white light "in the fore part" (which means close to or at the bow) and one all around white light "near the stern". The rule then proceeds to offer an option for vessels smaller than 50m, which is to exhibit one all around white light "where it can best be seen." It's an either or choice, not a "pick one from column A and one from column B" choice.

If a small vessel opts to comply with the first, over 50m lighting option, then that vessel has no choice but to comply with the entire requirement, which is to show one all around light at the "fore" and another all around at or near the stern. An anchor light that burns at the top of a sailboat mast is not displayed "in the fore" part of the vessel, and therefore that light can't count as one half of the two lights required under the over 50m exhibit.

Call me Doug
Old 24-04-2011, 09:26   #146

Doug,
Exactly. Thanks for explaining it again with a much better English.

That is it what I intended to explain in my post above.
Old 24-04-2011, 10:15   #147

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions and I am aways happy to oblige a CF member.

This is the view of the anchorage, taken today, surprisingly I have not had any complaints about my lights.
Where are you now Paradise Beach Kallarotissa
Old 24-04-2011, 12:13   #148

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Where are you now Paradise Beach Kallarotissa
Still anchored at Astipalaia island its beautiful here, but we will move when the wind swings around.
Wednesday looks good 25K SE which would be nice, but its still a bit too early to tell.

I will send you a PM when we arrive (hopefully we will have internet there) and we might be able to hook up.
Old 24-04-2011, 13:30   #149

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
The boat on the next moorings over was a Grand Banks trawler in the mid-40's range. He had all his deck lights on from the moment the sun set until (at least) after I went to bed, during which time everyone on his boat was indoors watching a movie. His generator, likewise, ran from sunset until (at least) after I went to bed. When I woke up the following morning, the generator was running and the deck lights were still on.
If that happened to me, I'd get together with a bunch of the rafted boat owners, approach this guy and ask if you all could come over and plug in your raft to recharge? Maybe he'd get the drift...

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 14:55   #150

Quote:
Still anchored at Astipalaia island its beautiful here, but we will move when the wind swings around.
Wednesday looks good 25K SE which would be nice, but its still a bit too early to tell.

I will send you a PM when we arrive (hopefully we will have internet there) and we might be able to hook up.
I don't think there is internet at Kaloratissia its to far out. but there is internet at Katapola there are 2 internet cafes there may be more but ask around for hot spots.
In Aegiali there is Wi-Fi in most Tavernas, Marabou, Celinis. Lakki Village hotel along the walk beside the sandy beach and there are a couple closer to the harbour quay Amorgos Wi-Fi (Welcome to Amorgos)

Weather Katapola.

Any way you have my mobile number

Tags
anchor