Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2011, 15:03   #151
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Stern Light at Anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesFCook View Post
I don't mean to turn this into a rule bla, bla, bla...

But this is a U.S.C.G. book and not everyone here is from or in the U.S.
ROTFLMBO..... Glad someone noticed...
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 19:18   #152

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE
Re: Stern Light at Anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesFCook View Post
. But this is a U.S.C.G. book and not everyone here is from or in the U.S.
COLREGS are the International Rules, and the rules I have quoted so far are all in the International Rules.
Old 02-05-2011, 14:41   #153

Boat: Endeavour 37

Cockpit lights are great. We have seven or eight, most amber. Not only do they illuminate the back of the boat, but they make the boat easier to find after one of those late 'cocktail runs' to another boat.
Wouldn't worry TOO much about the anchoring light regs in a crowded harbor or a mooring field, but if off from the beaten path, one should take into account the confusion you could be engendering with an 'unofficial' display. Common sense dictates here
NoAgenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:53   #154

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check

In my present anchorage in Simpson Lagoon, St. Maarten, at night I normally see 6 to 12 Mega sail yachts with Red mast head 360 degree types and often an additional one 3/4 way up. These are typically EU boats. I have at least 4 sail boats in the 40 to 60 foot range that only have a mast head Strobe light flashing all night long..... this is often just a few 100 yards from the St. Maarten Coast Guard HQ. About 30% have no light at all. Several have a mid cockpit light that is white but some of these appear to be strobes as they are at same level as the Wind Generators.

Most mid size power boats show no lights after bed time. The large ones have so many lights, no one could tell if they were underway or not as the nav lights would be/ are lost in the boats walkway and deck lights and very often bright underwater lights that sometimes illuminate the bow of the boat.

Most midrange sail boats typically have a white mast head light and several solar cell white lights in the cockpit and frequently on the bow. In this Lagoon this configuration is by far the most safe due to the high speed dinks, some in the 20+ foot range which race around to the various Happy Hours.

I'm seeing far more strobe lights in the past few years.... this is a major problem as now no one thinks of it as a potential emergency signal. Reminds me of The boy who called Wolf too many times.

My personal feeling is each skipper is responsible for the safety and security of his own vessel. I personally use two garden type solar cell lamps in my cockpit from sundown to sun up for both reasons in this location.

In crowed anchorages, the main problem is not being confused as some large boat but of being observed at all by the happy hour impaired who are already confused.
Old 04-05-2011, 20:52   #155

Boat: Beneteau First 44.7

My understanding of the rules (these might only be local boating regulations and size counts here) are that a sailing vessel while under sail shall carry side lights and a stern light which may all be incorporated as a tricolour.
Power vessels (sailing boats motoring) shall carry an all round masthead light side lights and can carry stern light.
In practical terms the all round masthead light is my anchor light. When sailing only the masthead light is off. When the motor is on the mast head and side and stern lights are on. From behind vessels approaching will see a stern light and masthead light. Can't be confused with a towing vessel which carries 2 or 3 (size dependent) allround masthead lights in addition to sidelights and sternlight with an amber above the stern while the towed vessel carries side and stern light.
I wouldn't be overly concerned at anchor with my masthead and sternlight on as any approaching/overtaking vessel is better off to see me and take action to keep clear. I guess with the stern light on I am indicating that I should be on lookout and share responsibility for safe navigation so I switch mine off to avoid legal confusion. If they tear through the anchorage (usually a protected bay) without regard to the possibility of a boat anchored there and don't see the anchor light then the tiny additional lighting that I can show won't make a bit of difference. But don't give the insurance lawyers anything to wriggle out of.
frant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 20:56   #156
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

At 12 meters or greater when underway the 32 point white light must be a separate 20 point masthead light and a 12 point stern light. When not under power the masthead light is not illuminated.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor