Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2011, 12:19   #121

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Stern Light at Anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Am I the only one who enjoys sitting out in the cockpit after dark?

I keep hearing variations on theme of "the more lights the better." I suppose this is fine if you've got an anchorage to yourself, but if you're sharing the anchorage with other boats, all you're really accomplishing is adding to light pollution that's going to block other people's enjoyment of the stars. This is especially nefarious if it means you're going to be inclined to run a generator longer in order to keep the batteries up while you run all these extra lights.

Running a stern light all night is as unnecessary as it is obnoxious. If you're scared of the dark, stay in a well-lit marina. Leave the coves to those of us who are trying to escape from all that artificial light.
I think I better anchor a long way from you. Many summer evenings my wife and I have dinner and them some reading, or maybe cards with friends all outside in the cockpit There are no generator problems, however, solar panels provide all the boats power and the Lopolight draws less than 0.2A so its not going to make much difference anyway.

Edit
Bash I see you have a 200W wind generator.

I have been cruising for a while and not much bothers me. Live and let live, but you have a wind generator and you are complaining about lights on anchored boats disturbing the ambiance of the anchorage?
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 12:28   #122

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
On my boat, if the stern natigation light is on, both starboard and port navigation light would also be on.
Most bots are wired this way, (although they could easily be changed) but my stern light is on a separate circuit breaker, presumably for the purpose I now want to use it for.
Old 22-04-2011, 15:43   #123

Boat: Cobra 850
Send a message via Yahoo to Capitain Mike Send a message via Skype™ to Capitain Mike

Quote:
Am I the only one who enjoys sitting out in the cockpit after dark?

I keep hearing variations on theme of "the more lights the better." I suppose this is fine if you've got an anchorage to yourself, but if you're sharing the anchorage with other boats, all you're really accomplishing is adding to light pollution that's going to block other people's enjoyment of the stars. This is especially nefarious if it means you're going to be inclined to run a generator longer in order to keep the batteries up while you run all these extra lights.

Running a stern light all night is as unnecessary as it is obnoxious. If you're scared of the dark, stay in a well-lit marina. Leave the coves to those of us who are trying to escape from all that artificial light.
I like it after dark also it is then you can see the stars
Capitain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 16:55   #124
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
OK, I'm game. Let's go for 200 posts!

Has anyone considered this point?

Nolex wants to use the stern light as a safety/courtesy light for people boarding at the stern. A proper (navigation) stern light is designed to be seen at distance, and thus will be shining brightly right in your eyes as you place your foot on the bottom rung of the ladder. Not safe!

A proper courtesy light will have a hood to cast the light downward, and away from your eyes, and perhaps a diffuser lens to spread the light. Safe and effective!

A courtesy light could not be confused with a (navigation) stern light, because, due to the hood, the light itself couldn't be seen at distance, only the parts of the boat illuminated by the light.

Rather than using the stern light for a courtesy light at anchor (and contravening Colregs), why not just add a light or two designed for the intended purpose?
Hud, I understand that the OP wants to use the Nav. stern light as a courtesy light.

So in the spirit of helping him avoid an extra installation, shading the Stern Nav light (as I suggested before) to make a better boarding light would seem to be the obvious answer.

Perhaps using the day shape (inverted cone) to deflect all that candle power downwards would put it to good use and give us another 200 posts! LOL
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 17:32   #125

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35
pirate Re: Stern Light at Anchor

You know, those black cones are strangely similar to the dunce caps once used by teachers. Maybe anyone using improper lighting should be hoisted above the yardarm wearing one.
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 18:02   #126
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Edit
Bash I see you have a 200W wind generator.

I have been cruising for a while and not much bothers me. Live and let live, but you have a wind generator and you are complaining about lights on anchored boats disturbing the ambiance of the anchorage?
Let's talk about that. My wind generator is primarily used for night passages and winter anchorages. I am rarely joined by other boats during either of those activities. I don't run the wind generator unless it is needed, and my 260 watts of solar usually is more than I need to keep a full charge.

Last weekend I anchored in a mooring field in Ayala Cove, rafted to another boat from my yacht club. Our cruising fleet had gone there for a lamb BBQ. I didn't turn on the wind generator, and honestly didn't miss it. With a 420 AH house bank, I can anchor out for a weekend without needing any charge from my solar or wind chargers.

The boat on the next moorings over was a Grand Banks trawler in the mid-40's range. He had all his deck lights on from the moment the sun set until (at least) after I went to bed, during which time everyone on his boat was indoors watching a movie. His generator, likewise, ran from sunset until (at least) after I went to bed. When I woke up the following morning, the generator was running and the deck lights were still on.

Cruisers don't need to light their boats up like a cruise ship at night. That's my point here: I'm hearing too many of the respondents to this thread claiming that the more lights, the better. No. A simple anchor light, as per the Colregs, will suffice.

We don't need to fear the dark while on the hook. I realize that anchoring is frightening for some boaters. Fine. But your fear is no reason to light your boats up like cruise ships, especially if there are other boats in proximity.
Old 22-04-2011, 21:09   #127

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Let's talk about that. My wind generator is primarily used for night passages and winter anchorages. I am rarely joined by other boats during either of those activities. I don't run the wind generator unless it is needed, and my 260 watts of solar usually is more than I need to keep a full charge.

Last weekend I anchored in a mooring field in Ayala Cove, rafted to another boat from my yacht club. Our cruising fleet had gone there for a lamb BBQ. I didn't turn on the wind generator, and honestly didn't miss it. With a 420 AH house bank, I can anchor out for a weekend without needing any charge from my solar or wind chargers.

The boat on the next moorings over was a Grand Banks trawler in the mid-40's range. He had all his deck lights on from the moment the sun set until (at least) after I went to bed, during which time everyone on his boat was indoors watching a movie. His generator, likewise, ran from sunset until (at least) after I went to bed. When I woke up the following morning, the generator was running and the deck lights were still on.

Cruisers don't need to light their boats up like a cruise ship at night. That's my point here: I'm hearing too many of the respondents to this thread claiming that the more lights, the better. No. A simple anchor light, as per the Colregs, will suffice.

We don't need to fear the dark while on the hook. I realize that anchoring is frightening for some boaters. Fine. But your fear is no reason to light your boats up like cruise ships, especially if there are other boats in proximity.
Bash, comparing a raftup in Ayala (Hospital) Cove to anchoring whilst cruising in the woop-woop is kinda silly. But, I do agree that your fellow rafter running a gen set all night in that situation is an unmitigated jerk. Still, if your eyes are so sensitive that an extra anchor light on a yacht anchored at a respectable distance destroys your enjoyment of the night, that is a problem indeed.

I doubt that many cruising yachts have the extra battery capacity to light up like a cruise ship, but adding a lower anchor light to the masthead one is a simple act that reduces the chances of a nocturnal collision, especially with dinghies, pangas or local drunks in tinnies.

As someone who has spent circa 90% of the nights at anchor for the past 25 years, and who sometimes enters anchorages after dark, I have to disagree with your "masthead light is enough" statement.

Cheers,
Old 22-04-2011, 23:08   #128

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
. I don't run the wind generator unless it is needed, and my 260 watts of solar usually is more than I need to keep a full charge.
Bash
I was not complaining about your power generation choices, just pointing out the double standard of having a wind generator, but objecting to others boats using too many lights.

However, in the interests of harmony, I am prepared to make a deal:

If you turn off your wind generator at night, I will turn my lights off during the day .
Old 23-04-2011, 03:57   #129
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Quote:
...Like most boat owner I already have list of jobs to do. More would cut into the swimming and happy hour time which is not appealing.
OK, nolex, you've crushed the opposition in the debate with that incredibly cogent and convincing point. Ya got me--I concede.

Go with the stern light + anchor light, and have a cold one for me.
Old 23-04-2011, 05:09   #130

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I don't know what dragged me back into this thread, but I am forced to share three thoughts. #1 Carry a small flashlight in the dinghy for the boarding ladder problem. #2 In very crowded anchorages there will be plenty of lights around and chances are slim that anyone will be blasting through the anchorage at high speed, so there you don't really need the deck-level light. In the uncrowded anchorage you will be the only boat around and your masthead anchor light will stick out like a sore thumb, so again you're in good shape. #3 Put some high-quality rechargeable batteries in your cheapo WalMart solar lights and they will run all night long, if you want some additional deck-level lighting.
Old 23-04-2011, 08:18   #131

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post

Go with the stern light + anchor light, and have a cold one for me.
Thanks for the suggestions and I am aways happy to oblige a CF member.

This is the view of the anchorage, taken today, surprisingly I have not had any complaints about my lights.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Astipalaia J 2 small.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	26490  
Old 23-04-2011, 08:39   #132

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I don't know what dragged me back into this thread,
Its irresistible drama, passion, intrigue, pathos, lust (OK maybe not lust).
Quote:
Carry a small flashlight in the dinghy for the boarding ladder problem..
I agree I always carry a small flashlight /headtorch ashore after a few night time adventures trying to make back to the anchorage in the dark. I was hoping for an improvement and some additional security lighting.

Quote:
. In the uncrowded anchorage you will be the only boat around and your masthead anchor light will stick out like a sore thumb.
Sorry I don’t agree. The masthead light blends into streetlights or even stars far too easily.

Quote:
Put some high-quality rechargeable batteries in your cheapo WalMart solar lights and they will run all night long, if you want some additional deck-level lighting.
Yes like most cruising boats I do use them, but even with longer life rechargeable they struggle to remain on all night in winter. They help identify the boats perimeter, but they are not bright enough to provide illumination for boarding, pulling up the dingy on the stern platform etc, or to act as any form security lighting
Old 23-04-2011, 09:26   #133

Boat: Cobra 850
Send a message via Yahoo to Capitain Mike Send a message via Skype™ to Capitain Mike

Quote:
Bash
I was not complaining about your power generation choices, just pointing out the double standard of having a wind generator, but objecting to others boats using too many lights.

However, in the interests of harmony, I am prepared to make a deal:

If you turn off your wind generator at night, I will turn my lights off during the day .
Better a wind gen at night than a jenny at night. If there is no wind then no sound from the wind gen. If wind is going to be too strong then most wind jens are tie up early.

I the chap wants to live as though on land then get a caravan!!!! or stay in an hotel.
Its not a double standard wind gens only charge up when there is wind a petrol jen can be run day and night.
Capitain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 09:34   #134

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE

Wind gen vs fuel gens is OFF topic! Let's get back to bickering about the positive aspects of leaving your stern light on all night while you are anchored.
Old 23-04-2011, 10:29   #135

I read a lot of good and a lot of anarchic approaches to the problem at the posts above.
Where is the problem in reading that

30. Lights for vessels anchored and aground
  • A vessel at anchor must display an all-round white light or one black ball in the fore part and another all-round white light at or near the stern at a lower level than the light in the fore part. BUT if the vessel is less than 50 meters in length it may exhibit an all-round white light where it can best be seen instead of the lights foresaid.
(Sourece International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

I think that explains all needed. I haven't read at noelex 77's posts how long his boat is, perhaps I missed it within the 134 replies
Anyhow, the boat length combined with COREGS rule 30 is all what we need to answer that question properly. And, for sure, you have to switch off other navigational lights. And the term navigational lights refers ONLY to navigational lights.
I can confirm, the more other lights (NO navigational lights) you switch on laying at anchor the better. Other mariners will appreciate that.

Tags
anchor