Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24-05-2013, 07:31   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Rolling Hitch on Snubber

We have at various times discussed ways to attach snubbers to chain. I had pretty much always previously used a chain hook, but based on some discussion here I decided to try the very simply rolling hitch method.

I will say that it is a bit easier and less clumsy than using a chain hook.

But I had the below happen last night:
Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch1.jpg
Views:	1641
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	61282
Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch2.jpg
Views:	657
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	61283

This is Dacron double braid in relatively good condition. The winds were about 30 with gusts to 35kts with some decent chop - not terrific but also not horrible.

It looks to me like the line cut itself in half, where the loaded portion comes out from under one of the 'half hitches'. There are various ways to tie a rolling hitch (And note that I used three wraps on the loaded side of the hitch rather than the more typical two), and we can debate that, but #1 note the knot itself did not slip or fail, and #2 all the various ways to tie a rolling hitch (I think) have the loaded portion bearing on a 'locking half hitch' in this way.

I had tried to experiment with a spectra tail on this line, and tie the rolling hitch in the spectra, because I actually had thought the likely failure point would be the line chafing on the chain, but I did not find a method I really liked, and while spectra is much more resistant to chafe, it is vulnerable to this sort of tight radius 'cutting itself'.

Anyway . . . . thoughts or suggestions. For today I have gone back to chain hooks.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote