Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2016, 08:59   #1

Boat: 1984 Slocum 43
Initially sluggish windlass

I'm having a problem with my 1983 V3000 windlass. See attached video. We rebuilt it last year and it was working great this year from May thru July, but a few weeks ago it suddenly began acting sluggish when first started. The first time it happened, I thought the batteries were low, so I started the engine to give a boost without effect.

I thought it might need greasing, so I removed the topside hardware and pumped grease into the shaft, but it had no effect.

The sluggishness occurs with or without a load and is the same even with the capstan, chain wheel, and clutches removed.

Once the sluggish part is past, then the windlass operates normally, as you can see in the video, until it sits for a bit. After not being used for a while, the sluggishness starts up again.

Without taking the whole unit back out and disassembling it, it doesn't seem like water could have gotten in via the shaft. There is no water leaking from the hole in the gearbox adapter flange.

Grease isn't leaking from the gearbox. I don't know why it would function normally and then just start doing this.

Anybody run across this?
Attached Files
Mycroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 09:13   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Initially sluggish windlass

Gear boxes typically call for 90 weight gear oil, not grease. Grease is for shafts. Are you putting it in through a zerk fitting, so you know it takes grease?
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 09:15   #3

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I'm wondering if you have a problem with the motor brushes.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 09:35   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I'm wondering if you have a problem with the motor brushes.

That or the relays in the box, try jumping past the relays and see if it speeds up.
I didn't see the video, but dirty switches slowing electric motors is sort of common

OK watched the video, that is an electrical issue, likely a sticking motor brush as it's both directions, unlikely it is both relays, and both clear up at the same time, or a loose connection.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 09:42   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

When my last windlass motor started doing that it was one of the magnets had come loose. It would start slow then speed up, till the day that the magnet got caught and broke.
Old 29-08-2016, 10:05   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Gear boxes typically call for 90 weight gear oil, not grease. Grease is for shafts. Are you putting it in through a zerk fitting, so you know it takes grease?
Thanks. Yes, it's a zerk fitting that pushes grease around the shaft. The gearbox has gear oil in it and is sealed.
Old 29-08-2016, 10:19   #7

Thanks for the input a64pilot and sailorboy1. I sent an email to Nilsson with the video attached. I bought the motor new last year, so hopefully their technician will identify if it's a sticking brush or a magnet issue.

If it is, that kinda sucks because to remove the motor, you have to remove the entire windlass and disassemble the gearbox. Quite the messy and time consuming job. :-(
Old 30-08-2016, 17:14   #8

Update.

Nilsson had me remove the bottom cap of the motor. When I did, quite a bit of oil came out. The oil had the color and consistency of used diesel motor oil. So evidently it isn't gear oil that entered the motor via a failed seal or something, because after sending the description and pictures in, they said that they would be sending a replacement motor.

Unfortunately, to replace the mother, I have to take the entire windlass apart again. Oh the joy of boats!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor Bottom.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	273.8 KB
ID:	130319   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil in cap.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	279.7 KB
ID:	130320  

Old 30-08-2016, 17:57   #9

Update 2:

Nilsson says that they think it's "gearbox grease" that probably entered through a "failed oil seal". They won't know for sure until they get the motor back.

I may know more as well when I take the whole thing apart after I receive the package from New Zealand.
Old 30-08-2016, 18:21   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Bummer you have to take it apart again but good to hear the manufacturer is coming through for you.

Tags
wind, windlass