Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2022, 07:44   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: How Heavy an Anchor Can I Carry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Panope weighs 15,000 lbs. and currently has....

-256 lbs of chain
-a 66lb Bruce
-a 65lb Forfjord
-a 55lb Mantus

...all located on her bow.

It's a long story as to why there is so much steel up there, but it certainly has not been an issue. However, I never beat into a fully developed sea.

It is my intention to do some testing with the goal of quantifying the effects of adding/subtracting weight on the bow.

We often hear warnings that added bow weight will destroy windward performance on account of increased pitching moment/porpoising.

While this effect is no doubt a reality, the question that I have is: Does adding 20 lbs. to the bow of a 15,000 lb boat make a difference that can be measured in a cruising situation.

Steve
I rarely have my anchors on the bow when on a long passage . I prefer to place them in the bilge afterall you don't anchor in a mile depth of water.
Old 16-10-2022, 07:56   #17
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Dashew once explained it like this: put an oversized anchor on your bow roller. When passers by start laughing about the big anchor, you know you’re on the right path and only need to go one more size up

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2022, 09:22   #18

Boat: Tartan 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
You don't say whether you have a windlass or not. The 44# Rocna is adequately sized for your vessel, so I would keep that up front. If you want a "storm anchor" might I suggest a larger bolt-together anchor (Mantus, Spade, etc) that you can store down below until you need it.

Thank you all for the replies. Very good points to consider.

And here I thought I’d given all the information to you all to help me with this question. I currently have a Maxwell RC8-8CAP 1000 watt but have not yet checked the specs as to how heavy an anchor it can manage.

I may need to consider a new bow roller as I don’t like how my current Rocna has too much movement.
StuartSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2022, 09:22   #19

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
It's not that the addition of 20 pounds will destroy windward performance.

What destroys windward performance is the accumulation of all the little things which can be added, none of which individually make a measurable difference.
Fred,

I completely understand that philosophy.

As a former aviator and builder of light aircraft, we often repeated the mantra: "watch the ounces, and the pounds come off". The plane that I built, with floats of my own design, is one of lightest and best performing amphibians (per horsepower and payload) of all time.

The way I see it, if someone goes to great lengths to have light "ends" of their boat, this does not preclude then from having one or two heavy items that they might really enjoy having.

In fact it is just the opposite. A boat with light ends ALLOWS someone to splurge on something like an oversized anchor. Sorta like dieting all week and then pigging out on Saturday.

I concede that my having multiple oversize anchors on my bow is absolutely the best way to broadcast the image that I know and/or care nothing about sailing performance. So be it.

Steve
Panope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2022, 12:30   #20

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Sorry. It is a 27lb Vulcan that we got recently on boat swap, not a spade.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2022, 18:37   #21

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako View Post
<slight drift>
I was wondering, does anyone really still use a Danforth as a primary anchor anymore?

I realize that a lot of cruisers still rely on the classic anchors like CQR and Bruce. I recently sold my CQR, it was okay but had a hard time penetrating hard pan, maybe would have worked better if I ground the point sharp like I did with my Danforth copy.
I am one of the few here who still loves his REAL Danforths, Hi-tensiles specifically. (I don't trust a copy of anything.) But I am always anchored bow and stern in my neighborhood. For one directional pull, Danforth Hi-tensiles are great. And once they are buried it is really hard to pull them out in any direction except over 90 degrees I think. I have seen many Danforths with bent shanks, which meant they held when being pulled sideways pretty hard.

But better not listen to me, I still miss my RDF!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2022, 19:21   #22

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartSailor View Post
I would appreciate feedback from others who have similar size and weight boat. The T37 weights 15,500 pounds plus. I’m curious as to how heavy an anchor some of you may be using or in your experience, how heavy an anchor you would carry for everyday use.

Simlar Tartan here, new to me.

I am upgrading ground tackle and will likely end up with a 45# Vulcan and 250 feet of 5/16 chain, plus rope.

My extra chain weighs more than your larger anchor.

I do not believe it is likely, on my boat, that circumstances will arise where a 45# Vulcan will drag but a next-size-larger Vulcan would not. On the other hand I can envision being in deep anchorages with sharp rocks where relying upon rope rode at depth could lead to the boat coming adrift.

I am in the Great Lakes and your situation is different.
Old 18-10-2022, 19:27   #23

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako View Post
<slight drift>
I was wondering, does anyone really still use a Danforth as a primary anchor anymore?
I conducted a survey of anchors on several hundred vessels in my home port in the PNW. Vessels ranged from 75 feet and below.

Roughly 10% of primary anchors were Danforth or steel Danforth copies.

Another 2% of primary anchors were Fortress anchors (an aluminum Danforth style anchor).

Steve
Panope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2022, 19:49   #24

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

I'd go with the larger anchor.

Some folks say to worry about too large an anchor ripping off a cleat, or some such thing. I can't imagine that happening, as those same folks are happy to tie to a mooring, or dock, and trust their cleats to hold them.

I'd only be concerned about the windlass, and the anchor roller being able to handle the larger anchor. If they will work ok, then go for it. 10 lbs isn't much, but it does make a difference in surface area, and therefore holding ability. Go big!

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 18-10-2022, 19:55   #25

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartSailor View Post
Good Day All,

I would appreciate feedback from others who have similar size and weight boat. The T37 weights 15,500 pounds plus. I’m curious as to how heavy an anchor some of you may be using or in your experience, how heavy an anchor you would carry for everyday use.

I currently have a 44 lb. Rocna with 125’ of 5/16” chain spliced to 200’ of 5/8” 3 strand line. I rarely need more than 75’ or so which I snub with a single line or I’ll use the mantus bridle. So far, I have had great success with this arrangement.

However, I am considering purchasing a 55 lb Rocna should I need a “storm anchor” if I can’t get to the mangroves during a hurricane. Staying in my marina is not an option. That got me thinking about keeping that anchor on the bow all the time.

So, what do you think about this weight for “daily” use? Is anyone doing this already? Thanks so much.
I think your current setup is perfect. It is almost exactly what I circumnavigated with on a Morgan 382, 17,000 lbs. I also carried a fortress disassembled and stowed below but never used it.

Pay attention to your shackles, swivel if you have one, and condition of all your tackle that goes with your anchor. Double-check the working load of everything, because often the WL of a shackle is much less than for the chain it is attacked to. It's more likely that you will have a failure with some of that gear than you not having a large enough anchor in a hurricane you should be avoiding anyways.

Tags
anchor