Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2022, 21:45   #1

Boat: Tartan 37
How Heavy an Anchor Can I Carry?

Good Day All,

I would appreciate feedback from others who have similar size and weight boat. The T37 weights 15,500 pounds plus. I’m curious as to how heavy an anchor some of you may be using or in your experience, how heavy an anchor you would carry for everyday use.

I currently have a 44 lb. Rocna with 125’ of 5/16” chain spliced to 200’ of 5/8” 3 strand line. I rarely need more than 75’ or so which I snub with a single line or I’ll use the mantus bridle. So far, I have had great success with this arrangement.

However, I am considering purchasing a 55 lb Rocna should I need a “storm anchor” if I can’t get to the mangroves during a hurricane. Staying in my marina is not an option. That got me thinking about keeping that anchor on the bow all the time.

So, what do you think about this weight for “daily” use? Is anyone doing this already? Thanks so much.
StuartSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2022, 22:02   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: How Heavy an Anchor Can I Carry?

Well......

My take on it is, it is only 10 more pounds of weight on the bow for considerably more holding power. So go for it.

On the other hand, something between the anchor and deck will probably break before your boat will drag a well-set 44lb. so stay with what you got.

No go bigger.

No, changed my mind, stay with what you got.

Actually if you have room for it and the 44lb has been easy to deal with, and the windlass can handle it, go with the 55.

There's the thread in a nutshell.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2022, 23:12   #3

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Panope weighs 15,000 lbs. and currently has....

-256 lbs of chain
-a 66lb Bruce
-a 65lb Forfjord
-a 55lb Mantus

...all located on her bow.

It's a long story as to why there is so much steel up there, but it certainly has not been an issue. However, I never beat into a fully developed sea.

It is my intention to do some testing with the goal of quantifying the effects of adding/subtracting weight on the bow.

We often hear warnings that added bow weight will destroy windward performance on account of increased pitching moment/porpoising.

While this effect is no doubt a reality, the question that I have is: Does adding 20 lbs. to the bow of a 15,000 lb boat make a difference that can be measured in a cruising situation.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2022, 00:35   #4

Hi StuartSailor, this is CapeCanaveralSailor. The threat of a hurricane last month, and seeing the results of storm surge down there, certainly make one rethink storm preparedness. My house over there still has water in the backyard that is not draining - mosquitos are getting bad!

Back to anchors, there are so many threads which ask the theoretical question of whether a light boat will start porpoising if a 10 or 15lb heavier anchor is installed. Seriously? Think about this. You little daughter who weighs 50lbs sits up on the bow enjoying the sail. Does that make the boat's motion dangerous? Of course not.

Piling an extra 100ft of chain might start affecting, but not a bigger anchor. So assuming you can modify your bow roller and have proper clearance to the windlass (for a longer anchor shank), if you want to make a demonstrable difference on your boat then here are two suggestions:
  1. Install a 100lb Rocna on the bow and store the 44lb back in your lazarette. You will enjoy anchoring on 1.5:1 scope daily and at most, 3:1 in storm conditions.
  2. Leave that wonderful anchor up there as it is sized perfectly for 99.99% of your needs. Buy a big Fortress and store it for emergency conditions.
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2022, 04:05   #5

Boat: Rafiki 37

I don’t know the T37, so can’t say for certain how sensitive they are to bow weight. But I’m with others who say it seems unlikely that a few tens of extra pounds would make any difference in performance.

Can your windlass and roller manage the heavier anchor without issue? Can your cleats/post and chalks take the pressure?

If the answer is yes, then go for larger. My view is you should use the largest well-designed anchor that you and your boat can reasonably manage. As someone who anchors a lot, and in sometimes challenging locations, it makes no sense to me to have less anchoring capacity when I can easily have more.
Old 16-10-2022, 04:19   #6

<slight drift>
I was wondering, does anyone really still use a Danforth as a primary anchor anymore?

I realize that a lot of cruisers still rely on the classic anchors like CQR and Bruce. I recently sold my CQR, it was okay but had a hard time penetrating hard pan, maybe would have worked better if I ground the point sharp like I did with my Danforth copy.
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2022, 05:10   #7

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Didn’t we do this last week? And every month?

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...rchid=35838203
Old 16-10-2022, 06:44   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartSailor View Post
Good Day All,

I would appreciate feedback from others who have similar size and weight boat. The T37 weights 15,500 pounds plus. I’m curious as to how heavy an anchor some of you may be using or in your experience, how heavy an anchor you would carry for everyday use.

I currently have a 44 lb. Rocna with 125’ of 5/16” chain spliced to 200’ of 5/8” 3 strand line. I rarely need more than 75’ or so which I snub with a single line or I’ll use the mantus bridle. So far, I have had great success with this arrangement.

However, I am considering purchasing a 55 lb Rocna should I need a “storm anchor” if I can’t get to the mangroves during a hurricane. Staying in my marina is not an option. That got me thinking about keeping that anchor on the bow all the time.

So, what do you think about this weight for “daily” use? Is anyone doing this already? Thanks so much.
Answer in my opinion is this . Use the largest anchor your vessels anchoring systems can handle without overloading . ( anchor bow roller , anchor windlass and the like . )
Always keep in back of mind you may have to someday haul that anchor by manual means .
Have a plan for that possibility .
Old 16-10-2022, 06:47   #9

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
...We often hear warnings that added bow weight will destroy windward performance on account of increased pitching moment/porpoising.

While this effect is no doubt a reality, the question that I have is: Does adding 20 lbs. to the bow of a 15,000 lb boat make a difference that can be measured in a cruising situation.

Steve
It's not that the addition of 20 pounds will destroy windward performance.

What destroys windward performance is the accumulation of all the little things which can be added, none of which individually make a measurable difference.
Old 16-10-2022, 06:52   #10

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako View Post
<slight drift>
I was wondering, does anyone really still use a Danforth as a primary anchor anymore?

I realize that a lot of cruisers still rely on the classic anchors like CQR and Bruce. I recently sold my CQR, it was okay but had a hard time penetrating hard pan, maybe would have worked better if I ground the point sharp like I did with my Danforth copy.
I don’t use my Danforth as a primary, because I use a Fortress Fx-23. But the Danforth is always available, it has always worked extremely well in mud. For 20-plus years the fortress has given excellent service, though while unknowingly on an oyster reef one time it did not reset on a sudden wind shift. I now carry an additional FX-23 and gave the 35 lb CQR away. I imagine alloy anchors will eventually supplant the steel Danforths.
Old 16-10-2022, 07:03   #11

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartSailor View Post
Good Day All,

You don't say whether you have a windlass or not. The 44# Rocna is adequately sized for your vessel, so I would keep that up front. If you want a "storm anchor" might I suggest a larger bolt-together anchor (Mantus, Spade, etc) that you can store down below until you need it.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2022, 07:06   #12

Boat: Panda/Baba 40

If you just want a “just in case” storm anchor, why not get some heavy fisherman (100lbs?) that can be disassembled and stored in the bilge?
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2022, 07:13   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

My question is why does my 25# CQR. Weigh almost 35#
Old 16-10-2022, 07:32   #14

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
My question is why does my 25# CQR. Weigh almost 35#
Published weights aren't always 100 percent accurate. I'm pretty sure Panope has weighed the anchors he's tested and listed their actual weights (vs published).
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2022, 07:37   #15

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Steve wrote:

While this effect is no doubt a reality, the question that I have is: Does adding 20 lbs. to the bow of a 15,000 lb boat make a difference that can be measured in a cruising situation

Not to Panope IMHO, but for more modern boats without much boyancy up front, or short waterline boats with long overhangs, I think the extra weight can make a difference. Maybe not 20lbs, but certainly 50lbs, 100lbs.

Have just added a 27lb Spade to replace our trusty 40yr Bruce. Still hauling by hand and it is some work, but just 30' x 5/8". In more wind we use the engine to help.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor