Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2024, 07:54   #1

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
AB or Carib dinghy?

Hello everybody
I am ready to buy a 11 or 12ft Hypalon RIB with fiberglass double hull and bow locker. I have to decide between the AB VS12 series (which I had in the past) and the Carib HFP330BL or Sea Rover 360. Are there any suggestions as to which brand shoudl I prefer?
Thanks
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2024, 07:58   #2

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Re: AB or Carib dinghy?

Have you considered an aluminum hulled dinghy? They're slightly lighter for the same length and the aluminum hull is definitely tougher than fiberglass
pcmm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2024, 08:14   #3

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Have you considered an aluminum hulled dinghy? They're slightly lighter for the same length and the aluminum hull is definitely tougher than fiberglass
Thanks. They are lighter AND cheaper. I have stayed away from them because of the folk wisdom that they are difficult to repair. I may need to question that because I have never done anything to the hull of a RIB that required repair.
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2024, 09:02   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
Thanks. They are lighter AND cheaper. I have stayed away from them because of the folk wisdom that they are difficult to repair. I may need to question that because I have never done anything to the hull of a RIB that required repair.
Definitely look into it. Where I am aluminum hulled dinghies are far more common that fiberglass hulled now. by a margin of 5 to 1 at least
Old 12-01-2024, 10:01   #5

Boat: Ovni 37 Sonate

Mantus and GoDu make hard RIB type dinghies that wont deflate, one plastic and one is aluminum. Might check them out.

I personally wont buy another deflatable.
Old 12-01-2024, 10:05   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBowSirocco View Post
Mantus and GoDu make hard RIB type dinghies that wont deflate, one plastic and one is aluminum. Might check them out.

I personally wont buy another deflatable.
wow GoDu charge $2k just for paint!

Mantus dinghy isn't available yet. Its rotomolded, unless they've been very careful its going to be HEAVY!!
Old 12-01-2024, 10:07   #7

Quote:

Mantus dinghy isn't available yet. Its rotomolded unless they've been very careful its going to be HEAVY

Yeah the powdercoated version certainly adds some money.. But powdercoat is an expensive process.

Personally I dont really see why someone would want the powedercoating on a boat like that since the boat will last practically forever, but we all know the coating wont.

I think the Mantus is 190lbs.
Old 12-01-2024, 10:15   #8

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

Aluminum is WAY lighter. I wouldn't do powdercoat as it won't last. Definitely agree with bow locker and false floor. We downgraded from 10.5 AB FRP to 9.5' AB (floor/locker) and it was close to 50 lbs IIRC. Of course some of that is length. AB has a great reputation. Not sure about the others.

Comparing 10.5 AB models it looks like 38 pounds from fiberglass to aluminum.
Old 12-01-2024, 10:16   #9

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:

Mantus dinghy isn't available yet. Its rotomolded, unless they've been very careful its going to be HEAVY!!

The GoDu isn't light at 75kg - The paint (powder coating) adds another 3kg.
I have a 3.1 ali bottomed rib and it weighs in at 34kg. Coming up for 18 years old and been striped and repainted and retubed (loose tubes) once after 11 years. Definitely recommend ali over GRP for weight and durability.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2024, 10:20   #10

The AB ultralight 10.5 dinghy is 96lbs.. Never heard of one lighter than that- what brand is yours Tupaia?

I personally cant lift or carry around 75lbs anyway, so we always use the halyard to move our boat if its not on our davits. To me since its too heavy for us to lift anyway, we dont worry too much about it.
Old 12-01-2024, 10:32   #11

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBowSirocco View Post
The AB ultralight 10.5 dinghy is 96lbs.. Never heard of one lighter than that- what brand is yours Tupaia?

I personally cant lift or carry around 75lbs anyway, so we always use the halyard to move our boat if its not on our davits. To me since its too heavy for us to lift anyway, we dont worry too much about it.

Force 4 - New Zealand Company sadly no longer in production. Clever design whereby the tubes are attached using bot ropes so the collar is removable and easy to replace.

I just googled them and maybe CS Marine in PNW is now making / selling them?? They list one slightly bigger than mine F3150 at 40kg and one slightly smaller F2800 at 33kg

https://csimarine.tripod.com/feedback.htm
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2024, 11:05   #12

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

I had a Force 4 for over 20 years before the tubes just couldn't be sealed any more. Had it on many rocky New England beaches and never had a problem with the aluminum hull. Wish they were still around as they had a great design . They were just ahead of their time and didn't know how to market their product. I'd also recommend looking at Highfield as they are who I went with to replace my Force 4. In my book, unless you're going for a high performance / center console RIB, I'd only go with aluminum. JMHO
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, rib