Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2023, 05:25   #1

Theft protection devices for dinghy?

I have an AB 310 AL RIB with 20hp Tohatsu. I'm working my way down Pacific Coast of Mexico towards Panama.

Current thread on weather resistant padlock for me thinking more briefly about cable or chain for locking to dinghy dock and/or brackets to secure mounting clamps if outboard to transom. When at a chore, we hoist the dinghy onto a cradle on boat deck of our trawler so feel fairly secure there. Concern is dinghy docks and beaching.

What types of physical theft devices are folks using, especially those who cruise in lessor developed countries where opportunistic theft is more common?

Thanks in advance.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 05:56   #2

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Theft protection devices for dinghy?

We used a plastic-coated steel cable about 20-feet long that locks to the outboard via the padlock holding the clamp bolts, runs through the handle on the portable fuel tank, and then forward under the seats and through the bow towing eye on the dinghy. That leaves about 10 feet or so of cable to lock through a cleat on the dock, or around a post, or whatever. Never had a problem in the Southwest Caribbean, Colombia, Panama, Central America, etc. But, the most important thing is to lock up someplace where there are people watching things, if possible. Crowded dinghy docks are better than isolated ones, on the assumption that fellow cruisers will be coming and going. The problem is that nothing will stop professional thieves from taking what they want, so we try to not be the easy target for the opportunistic thief who will go for the easiest pickings.
Old 07-12-2023, 06:02   #3

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I keep the outboard locked to the transom on our dinghy. So far we haven't left the dinghy anywhere that I've felt the need to do more. I do plan to start carrying a long cable lock to do as Kettlewell suggests in any place where I'm concerned (lock through the outboard, fuel tank, bow eye, and dock).

In our case, our dinghy isn't exactly the most attractive target (old aluminum skiff with a 6hp) and I've never seen a dinghy locked up in our current cruising grounds.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 06:10   #4

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

We've always used a 30' long plastic coated Masterlock brand security cable. In a lot of places we've been the lone dinghy to be secured, but since our insurance didn't cover the dinghy - and we couldn't really afford its loss - the inconvenience of finding something to attach to was worth the effort to us.
Old 07-12-2023, 06:27   #5

One thing nice about cruising in New England is that there is very little dinghy theft most places and we never lock to the dock when cruising around Massachusetts, Maine, Rhode Island, etc. For quite awhile I left my dinghy unattended on a beach with others nearby and nobody even bothered to lock their motors to the transom. In fact, most of the East Coast is OK, including the Chesapeake, though I might lock the dinghy to something when ashore in a few spots. OTOH, Florida and south you need to lock up and haul the dinghy aboard at night.
Old 07-12-2023, 07:22   #6

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I echo everything Kettlewell said. Exactly the same plan and experiences.

Only difference is I chain it up with a really thick galvanized chain.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 08:04   #7

In general, your cable, chain, lock only need to be stronger looking than other dinghies at the same location. Professionals will cut through a chain or cable in 60 seconds or less and be gone. Chain is actually easier to cut than thick cable using bolt cutters. Cables can be easily hacksawed. In many locations they are mainly interested in the outboard motor, and I have heard of thieves just cutting the transom out and taking the motor. I paint the cowling of my motor to look nasty and old. Just slap on some cheapo paint and let it weather and get dirty. You don't want someone to be able to tell instantly that your motor is worth a lot.
Old 07-12-2023, 12:09   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We use the chain from our dinghy anchor rode, and run the chain through the handle on the fuel tank, too. It has never gone walkabout when chained. We lost the cover off the fuel tank one time, they tried to steal the tank, only got it to the dock. Never saw where the cover blew off to.

A lot, you won't have to worry about it, though. Mainly, in our experience, thefts have occurred (or been attempted) in marinas. Easy to chain the dinghy to the cradle on the afterdeck, there. I suppose there is always some danger. In Papeete, a cruiser's dinghy went missing, reported to the police, who were pretty sure where it would be found, and counseled the men folk of cruisers to look there and do whatever they needed to do about it...basically carte blanche to beat up the kids who stole it. It wasn't our dinghy.

Ann
Old 07-12-2023, 12:48   #9

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

we are in a very safe region, but on principle have a fairly heffity bycle cable which ties off the screw bars on the outboard bracket. does more in appearance than actual

only padlock the dink if its going to be ashore late or overnight. for this we have a plastic covered stainless steel wire and a fairly small padlock...again, more for appearance than actual security

if we go somewhere thats dangerous (why would we ?) we'll redesign the system

cheers,
Old 07-12-2023, 12:49   #10

Concern is dinghy docks and beaching.

Used a SS cable for many years. At least someone cant just take the dingy at will, they gotta have cable/bolt cutters and be thieving more professionally!.
Dingy docks are crowded and you need some length. Mine was 20-25 ft I think. Used it at night also securing the dingy to the mothership if not lifting the dingy.

I have no idea what you can do on the beach unless there a log or tree available.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 13:20   #11

Quote:
I have no idea what you can do on the beach unless there a log or tree available.
Some things I have heard of for beach protection include deflating a tube and carrying the pump away, removing a spark plug, taking the fuel hose, and of course removing the kill switch. You could potentially lock a few dinks together, making for an awkward package to steal. I only ever removed the kill switch. Sometimes there is a tree to lock to. Most places where you leave the dink on a beach tend to be more remote areas where you are less likely to have a theft problem.
Old 07-12-2023, 13:24   #12

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Some things I have heard of for beach protection include deflating a tube and carrying the pump away, removing a spark plug, taking the fuel hose, and of course removing the kill switch. You could potentially lock a few dinks together, making for an awkward package to steal. I only ever removed the kill switch. Sometimes there is a tree to lock to. Most places where you leave the dink on a beach tend to be more remote areas where you are less likely to have a theft problem.

More good points. Any time we take the dinghy ashore and walk away from it I pull the kill switch and take it with me. Not hard to bypass, but one more minor inconvenience to either slow someone down or make them not bother.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 17:27   #13

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I used an old plastic coated lifeline, and ran one end through the towing eye, the fuel tank, and locked onto the motor handles. The other end had and eye and another padlock. I used a 3.5 hp 2 stroke painted international orange, and it never went walkabout. In the Caribbean I would still lift and lock the dinghy every night.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 17:37   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I used an old plastic coated lifeline, and ran one end through the towing eye, the fuel tank, and locked onto the motor handles. The other end had and eye and another padlock. I used a 3.5 hp 2 stroke painted international orange, and it never went walkabout. In the Caribbean I would still lift and lock the dinghy every night.
If you have a 3.5 HP outboard, you have the best theft protection anywhere. NONE of the locals what such a thing. Now a 15HP or 20HP 2-stoke Yamaha... that's a different story.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 20:12   #15

Many dinghy “thefts” are because they weren’t tied up properly and drifted off. Always tie up to the boat with two lines.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, rot