Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2022, 18:54   #61

Boat: S&S Defiance 30 ft.
Re: What size winch for going up the mast?

I have an S&S 30 Defiance on which, in the past, I have used a TopClimber to ascend the mast. Age is catching up so at 80 I no longer have the leg strength to use it.

As an alternative, I redirected the 1st Main halyard onto a special drum I engineered to take the place of the top drum on the anchor winch. I also installed a wireless fob to control the up and down of the winch from my position. The first halyard is attached to the TopClimber seat and the seat ascender is on the 2nd halyard which I tension on a line winch as a safety line. If necessary I can be lowered by releasing the halyard clutch. To guard against electrical problems the Boss is standing by the anchor windlass electrical breaker.
A few weeks ago I went up to do some work and was on the way down when I felt extremely dizzy and actually passed out. I came to and some kind people nearby in the marina helped my wife get me down. An ambulance trip to hospital and an overnight stay showed no heart or stroke problem but low blood pressure was the cause. Apparently muscles in the legs help pump blood back up the body and as I was sitting with legs dangling the blood pooled in my legs. In general I am pretty fit but this caught me out. I have been banned from going up the mast in the future. The moral of the story is that the equipment used is not the only factor in mast ascension.
Old 17-07-2022, 17:17   #62

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
The clutch, as you say, is a positive safety factor. It will prevent a fall if the halyard comes off the winch (as in my scary example upthread) for any reason, and our current practice is similar to yours.

However, a clutch will not help with a power winch that sticks in the on position if the self tailing mechanism is in use (what I think of when you say "runaway winch"), so the advice to not use the self tailer on a power winch is correct.

Jim
Thanks for clarifying. And I'll be changing our self tailer use.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2022, 19:16   #63

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Matt, do remember that in the event that the winch or windlass won't shut off, simply stopping tailing stops the ascent, even if the drum continues to rotate. Of course, this means that one does not use the self tailing feature of the winch whilst hoisting a body. And hoisting through a clutch is a big safety factor, no matter what is providing the grunt on the halyard.

We have done the deed in most of the available methods, and I like the halyard winch powered by the Milwaukee drill best: good speed, good control and no worries about it jamming "on".

Jim
I went up today. Twice (it took two tries to fix the B&G MHU).

I had Judy on the windlass, sitting down to make sure the halyard tail did not pop off the top of the windlass. My friend Greg was on the safety halyard.

Both are experienced sailors and I trust them.

We did not use a self tailer and we did not use a rope clutch.

Why no rope clutch? If something happens and I need to be let down a little RIGHT NOW, like my foot is caught inside a diagonal shroud or something, I don't want them to tie off the halyard and go to the clutch to open it. Then go back to the winch and ease me down. Too much risk of somebody doing it wrong or misunderstanding what is needed. To me that is not a safety factor.

What was aggravating was a neighbor who stopped by and another person who all felt like chatting with my line tenders. I wanted their attention on me, not on chit-chat with them (Sorry Rick, I love you anyhow.)

But all went well and the work got done. It was a lot easier than trying to do it with only one line handler, which we have done a few times (pull one, hold it, pull the other, hold it, etc.)
Old 17-07-2022, 22:06   #64

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Why no rope clutch? If something happens and I need to be let down a little RIGHT NOW, like my foot is caught inside a diagonal shroud or something, I don't want them to tie off the halyard and go to the clutch to open it. Then go back to the winch and ease me down. Too much risk of somebody doing it wrong or misunderstanding what is needed. To me that is not a safety factor.

Hi Fred,

This is why I prefer using the halyard winch driven by Millie... the clutch is right there in front of the wincher's nose, ready to hand.

Jim
Old 17-07-2022, 22:37   #65

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Jim and I got toy walkie-talkies from Toys R Us, a long time ago. They still work, and it is really nice to be able to talk in a normal voice and be heard clearly at the masthead.

Ann
Old 18-07-2022, 01:10   #66

Boat: Bavaria 38 Cruiser, 12meters, 2004

Quote:
Matt, do remember that in the event that the winch or windlass won't shut off, simply stopping tailing stops the ascent, even if the drum continues to rotate. Of course, this means that one does not use the self tailing feature of the winch whilst hoisting a body. And hoisting through a clutch is a big safety factor, no matter what is providing the grunt on the halyard.

We have done the deed in most of the available methods, and I like the halyard winch powered by the Milwaukee drill best: good speed, good control and no worries about it jamming "on".

Jim
Excellent warning, I have had the windlass contacts jam and the windlass would have attempted to pull the anchor through the fairlead if I hadn't been quick to reverse, which promptly sent the anchor on it's way down again until with frantic pressing of buttons the contacts came unstuck. I think a "pip" must form on the relay contacts and refuses to let go. If you are up the mast when that happened it's the stuff of bad events.
Kerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2022, 01:29   #67

Boat: Bavaria 38 Cruiser, 12meters, 2004

For those that are able this is a method that I've used a few times. It requires no electric winch or suchlike, only the sam fitness required to climb a ladder, little physical effort on behalf of your helper, and I think answers all the reasonable requirements of safety.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3595479
Kerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, size, winch