Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2016, 13:44   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
"If It's Going to Happen; It's Going to Happen Out There."

I was thinking of this quote from the movie, "Captain Ron", - wasn't that the Kurt Russell movie featuring some 40+ foot teak decked ketch? 'maybe a Vagabond?

Maybe it's just because we choose our weather well and we're usually not offshore for periods of time beyond reasonable forecasts, but 95% of the time not much is happening "out there". We usually have very pleasant passages.

I remember a recent passage southbound when I was at the helm with the auto-pilot engaged and between books. Nancie had a emery board at the table on our binnacle. I picked it up and noticed that it had four grades of abrasivie surfaces to be used in sequence to produce highly polished nails.

Over the next twenty miles I spent two miles working at each fingernail. Coarse on the end, medium all over, fine across the surface and extra-fine to a point where my nails got hot.

Now, I' usually a guy that grabs a bit of sandpaper when I have a jagged nail.

Now, if you see me extra "pretty"; then, I'm likely just in from an offshore passage! "If it's going to happen; it'll happen out there!"
Old 23-09-2016, 16:48   #2

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Re: "If It's Going to Happen; It's Going to Happen Out There."

See, offshore passages can be dangerous. Did Nancie find out you were using her emery board?

I, too, cruise mostly costal, West coast these day though. And I can usually pick a good weather window. The weather here is so consistently good that it is easy to get complacent and be less watchful so I've been caught out in conditions that make me glad I have a well found boat kept in good condition. Santa Anas of 40-50 knots can remind you to keep on your toes...whether or not their nails are finely polished.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 17:36   #3

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

That was funny! I will never look at the pretty boys the same ever again!
Old 23-09-2016, 18:28   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I was thinking of this quote from the movie, "Captain Ron", - wasn't that the Kurt Russell movie featuring some 40+ foot teak decked ketch? 'maybe a Vagabond?

Maybe it's just because we choose our weather well and we're usually not offshore for periods of time beyond reasonable forecasts, but 95% of the time not much is happening "out there". We usually have very pleasant passages.

I remember a recent passage southbound when I was at the helm with the auto-pilot engaged and between books. Nancie had a emery board at the table on our binnacle. I picked it up and noticed that it had four grades of abrasivie surfaces to be used in sequence to produce highly polished nails.

Over the next twenty miles I spent two miles working at each fingernail. Coarse on the end, medium all over, fine across the surface and extra-fine to a point where my nails got hot.

Now, I' usually a guy that grabs a bit of sandpaper when I have a jagged nail.

Now, if you see me extra "pretty"; then, I'm likely just in from an offshore passage! "If it's going to happen; it'll happen out there!"
Good Lord man, what are you doing? Here we are working so hard to impress upon the folks the dangers and disasters that await as soon as you leave the marina and you go and disclose the mundane truth that cruising is primarily a matter of deciding which emery board to use or which cheap novel to read! Next thing you know you'll expose the fact that we can anchor without spilling our Martinis! (BTW did you really do two miles per nail? Darn, you got me beat!)
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 18:46   #5

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Good one!!
Old 23-09-2016, 19:10   #6

Boat: Krogen 42

Just don't paint your toenails.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 23-09-2016, 20:12   #7
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Hudson,
I didn't realize you guys were so strapped that you had to go sailing without a manicurist on board. I'll set up a GOFUNDME page for you, so you can hire one full-time and sail as a proper yachtsman.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 20:35   #8

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Hudson,
I didn't realize you guys were so strapped that you had to go sailing without a manicurist on board. I'll set up a GOFUNDME page for you, so you can hire one full-time and sail as a proper yachtsman.
A manicurist! Of course! That's the one we missed! Now where is that thread about cruising essentials?............
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 08:34   #9
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Yachtsmen rarely discuss these social inconveniences, they have hired help that are supposed to deal with that. And of course sailors, well, they're either too crude or drunk to notice that kind of detail. Which leaves that awkward silence when one tries to ponder which group "cruisers" fit into. But of course, if one keeps the transient rates at the yacht club high enough so that those without reciprocity will simply anchor out somewhere else...that eliminates much of the riff-raff without further bother, too.
And then of course there are Sperry TopSiders, designed to never need polish, since a shoe shine boy with proper elevated shine chair simply could not, and still can not, be accommodated in the limited headroom of a classic yacht. Can't keep it below deck, can't have it interfering with the boom above deck. Whatever is one to do?!
The riff-raff never seem to understand how hard it is to do things properly. (sigh)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 09:04   #10

Man, I need to get some high water boots out,the BS is sure deep here
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 09:23   #11

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

Hilarious amd I suppose it helps preserve your varnished surfaces from the lacerating effects of jagged finger nails?

Thanks for the story!
SVTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 10:21   #12

Boat: Hudson Force 50; 57' overall

As a sailor of a sister ship to that in the Capt. Ron movie, the boat in the movie is a Formosa 50 pilothouse ketch. It's a William Garden design and sister ship to our Hudson Force 50 ketch. They're often mistaken for Vagabonds since William Garden also designed the Vagabond 47 ketch.
RABenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 10:30   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABenko View Post
As a sailor of a sister ship to that in the Capt. Ron movie, the boat in the movie is a Formosa 50 pilothouse ketch. It's a William Garden design and sister ship to our Hudson Force 50 ketch. They're often mistaken for Vagabonds since William Garden also designed the Vagabond 47 ketch.
Thanks, I knew it was one of those Garden variety beauties. I just didn't know which one!
Old 24-09-2016, 11:42   #14
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

it is actually 3 formosa 51 ketches used in the movie. 2 afloat and one soundstage
wanderer is still in kemah, to best of my knowledge.

conveniences?? crew-oh please peel me another grape ..
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 11:43   #15

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

I have never polished my nails (I do clip 'em, three snips each if I am not in a hurry). I have never been an expert at selecting "weather windows," but I know enough not to leave in a storm if at all possible. Oh, and the only time may nails receive polish is when I am painting or varnishing.

Am I still allowed to enjoy the shortcomings and foibles of others on this forum? Or am I limited to my own? I'd prefer to stay. 'Just waiting for the wit to dry some more before it rains again.