Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2020, 05:49   #16

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Soft Solent with 80-75% Jib and Inboard Sheeting

I think I might be ideal to use the Harken Diamond 79mm Padeye with two soft shackles and small 5mm LFR on the deck in a forward location at the stays where there is no portal. Then the cascade arrangement on the large LFR on the sheet will be similar to the Pogo 12.5 picture.

I will have to mock this out to see if the line running aft is above 1.5", but I could use one of those simple bullseye fairleads to pull the line down!
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 07:37   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Thanks, your point about low friction rings rattling on the deck or cabin is a reasonable consideration.

The bullseye might be part of the solution, but I am not so sure a low friction bullseye is structurally able to redirect a load 90 degrees from directly above to go aft. Also the rounding profile of the SS ring I believe has a hard spot for 90 degrees. However a properly designed bullseye like this would work very well and might be the low cost answer...
I'm gŮad I came back to your thread. It reminded me that I've spent the last three nights wondering what it is that's rattling on my deck. But I always forget about it in the daytime!
I have an old bullseye on board in the form of a 5mm Ubolt over the type I showed in the picture. Strong enough with a good backing plate but there is that 90 degree turn that you are right to be concerned about.
Right, I'm off to track down that rattle 😁
Differentroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 16:14   #18

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyrj33 View Post
1. Since you're not going to be changing the size of this sail (no reefing), the needed adjustment range for the sheet angle will likely be fairly small.

2. If your sheet turning bock was located in a position that set the sheet angle just a bit shallow of the shallow end of the angle adjustment range it would keep the 'twing' range small also. Does that sound right?

3. It does mean mounting a sheet block further forward than the aft position you mentioned. Another advantage in reducing the angle induced by the twing is less tension will be required on the twing line. Also their will be less friction on the sheet running through the ring if the angle is shallower.

4. A short piece of track and and an adjustable car would also work.
1. There is actually a pretty sizeable range because the jib can be mounted on the solent or on the Roller Furler during spring and fall.

2. Yes, I could mount a block appropriately located in the deck further forward (maybe even with a track) and use the lead adjustments to change the angle. (#4) I am trying to avoid more track in the deck however (tripping hazard).

3. Yes, less force would be needed due to the better lessened change of angle.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jib