Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2022, 08:10   #106

Re: Dismasted at sea in the Bahamas, now what

Sorry for your loss I may have a mast that will work for you in indiantown fl Randy 7542448404
gannet 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2022, 08:22   #107

Boat: Tartan 34c

Quote:
Originally Posted by svfinlandia View Post
Sorry to hear of your difficulties very sorry to hear about your lost cat
May I ask who the rigger was in Oriental?
That is currently my home waters and it would be interesting to know.

Al, S/V Finlandia
As I have a full replacement rigging quote in my hand from one of the outfits in Oriental I am also interested in knowing who inspected theirs!

I found hints in their YouTube videos on where they were getting service while they were in town. At least for their engine troubles.

I know of at least four in town, have quotes from two.
Old 28-03-2022, 08:38   #108

Boat: Beneteau 36cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gannet 22 View Post
Sorry for your loss I may have a mast that will work for you in indiantown fl Randy 7542448404
Im still waiting back from a Beneteau dealer for the specs of the mast but here is what I have for now.

https://www.rigrite.com/Spars/Sparcraft_Spars/F-E_Masts/I-365E_mast.php

It seems to fit many models, hopefully it will be easier to find a used one.

Still on our way (Or should I say, rocking our way) to George town, going to be at Calabash Long Island tonight. Tomorrow will be a short nav to George town where we will fuel up and rest.

Dave
SV_Lusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2022, 08:45   #109

Boat: Adv24 Trimaran

You are 230 miles North of Oceanworld at Puerto Plata, DR. I was forced in there for a mainsail repair during a delivery trip about 4 years ago. Price then for sail repair was reasonable. Did not deal with a rigger then. Wishing you some really good luck with this.
wdgwdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2022, 08:50   #110
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV_Lusca View Post
Thanks for all your support and suggestions. Most seems to suggest to head back to FL. Our insurance just told us that the mast isn’t covered because it is over 20 years old. We will be looking for used parts, wonder if the French islands would have any?

Dave
SV Lusca
What company do you have? One question to ask your agent is, even if they won't cover the parts, they may still cover the labor, since labor is not subject to depreciation.
Old 28-03-2022, 08:54   #111
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney777 View Post
Mack sails
I second that- were fast and the most cost effective when it was time to replace our standing rigging.
Old 28-03-2022, 08:55   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbyCat View Post
What company do you have? One question to ask your agent is, even if they won't cover the parts, they may still cover the labor, since labor is not subject to depreciation.
I would also add that if they were not going to cover something on the boat they should have excluded it upon accepting the insurance contract. One wonders what the contract says? If it excludes things of a certain age, is the boat covered at all? Or do they consider rigging a special item like sails?

OP: The French islands, especially St Martin, could have a mast extrusion laying around. They have lost a lot of boats there in hurricanes in the past. Just a long shot.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2022, 09:10   #113

I have not read all 112 messages so if this has been covered already I apologize. I was dismasted a few years ago. The insurance of the boat that hit me paid for my new mast plus all other repairs. That was nice but it took almost a full year to get the boat repaired mostly waiting for the new mast. I believe there are fewer mast builders now than there were then. If you want you boat repaired quickly you need to find a used mast. Given that, your destination should be based on where there is a mast that fits your boat. Florida might be the place but if they don't have a used mast and some place closer does, go to where the mast is. There is no theoretical here. Some place either has what you want or doesn't. Now if you want a new mast, by all means go to where they can make one as shipping is close to impossible from what I was told. You basically have to find a boat going from where the mast is made to where your boat is and put the new mast on the same boat trailer. That could add months as well.

Good luck and sorry about your cat.

Allen
allene222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2022, 09:26   #114

So very sorry for your troubles. I have an Oceanis 350, and all of the mast/ rigging related parts come from US Spars, located in Gainesville, Fl. https://www.usspars.com/
It would be worth giving them a call, they may be able to get you in touch with someone in the Bahamas that can order new or help source used parts. Beneteau US may help also.
rnnoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2022, 09:49   #115

Boat: Allied Princess 36'

I understand about people and their pets, but have heard this story or one like it a lot. Pets on a boat is a bad idea for obvious reasons. I think it's more about the owner than whats best for the pet! As to the mast, get back to the US. I know my opinion won't be a popular one and if you consider it for the best interest of the animal it is the correct one.
Martinini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2022, 10:50   #116

Boat: TY37, formerly Paceship PY26

What an adventure!
Pat_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2022, 11:26   #117

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS

Quote:
I had a new forestay with harken furler installed in Oriental NC. At the same time I had the rigger adjust everything. I have the impression that something let go at the top. The mast was broken in half but no idea of it was caused by the impact with the water.
We had ours done in oriental in October they also wanted us to install a new furler I’ll pm you
RedneckRedcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2022, 11:48   #118

Boat: Cal 29 mk2

Quote:
Thanks for all your support and suggestions. Most seems to suggest to head back to FL. Our insurance just told us that the mast isn’t covered because it is over 20 years old. We will be looking for used parts, wonder if the French islands would have any?

Dave
SV Lusca
Insurance company small print will get you every time . Stateside is the way to go and save as much of the rig and rigging as possible !ps RIP kitty
capn ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2022, 12:21   #119

Bummer, I would consider rigging up something to slowly get back to Florida.
A small mast and tarp sail. Maybe bamboo sourced locally? Good luck.
ron17571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2022, 13:30   #120
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn ken View Post
Insurance company small print will get you every time . Stateside is the way to go and save as much of the rig and rigging as possible !ps RIP kitty

No doubt, read your policy carefully as the insurance company doesn’t want to pay out.
A claims adjuster told me the steps the insurance companies will go to to refuse claims or minimize their payout.
1) refuse the claim on whatever grounds you can make up
2) once the customer gets past the refusal stage then claim the damages are below the deductible.
3) if the customer is able to get past the deductible then lowball as much as you can.
4) after the first 3 steps then it’s game on, but plan on it being a time consuming fight to get what’s owed to you.
Thankfully not all insurance companies operate in this manner, but if yours does it may be worth the fight.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, mast