Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2022, 03:46   #151
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Dismasted at sea in the Bahamas, now what

Reiki* is not an alternative treatment, for medical issues, but a complementary therapy, that may help support healing, and increase a feeling of well-being, for some people [? placebo effect ?]. Reiki treatment should not be used as a substitute for the consultation of a physician, or a psychotherapist.

Reiki is a complementary health approach, in which practitioners place their hands lightly on, or just above, a person, with the goal of directing universal life force energy*, to help facilitate the person’s own healing response.
It’s based on an Eastern belief in an energy, that supports the body’s innate [natural] healing abilities.
Some Reiki practitioners [especially when distance healing] will use crystals, and chakra healing wands, to enable healing, or protect a home from negative energy.

Reiki hasn’t been clearly shown to be effective for any health-related purpose.
On the other hand, due to it’s non-contact nature, Reiki hasn’t been shown to have any harmful effects.

A person using Reiki, alongside other treatments, is unlikely to encounter negative side effects.
However, Reiki could lead to harm, if people with serious health issues opt for this therapy, and other complementary therapies, instead of rigorously tested modern medicine.

* “Reiki”: rei, meaning “universal,” and ki, which refers to the vital life force energy [for which there’s no scientific evidence], that flows through all living things.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 04:15   #152

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

Of course, you will explore all avenues, but one which hasn’t been mentioned;
I can’t see the broken mast in your pictures - so is it sliceable, even as a temporary rig? Get in touch with the original supplier.
I wanted to extend my foremast by eight feet, so I had a length of mast shipped with splicing pieces, and it’s as strong as any other part of the extrusion. Just a thought.
Sorry about the pet, but cats do have nine lives, so he’s probably still swimming out there somewhere.
JR
Old 05-06-2022, 18:58   #153

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Reiki* is not an alternative treatment, for medical issues, but a complementary therapy, that may help support healing, and increase a feeling of well-being, for some people [? placebo effect ?]. Reiki treatment should not be used as a substitute for the consultation of a physician, or a psychotherapist.

Reiki is a complementary health approach, in which practitioners place their hands lightly on, or just above, a person, with the goal of directing universal life force energy*, to help facilitate the person’s own healing response.
It’s based on an Eastern belief in an energy, that supports the body’s innate [natural] healing abilities.
Some Reiki practitioners [especially when distance healing] will use crystals, and chakra healing wands, to enable healing, or protect a home from negative energy.

Reiki hasn’t been clearly shown to be effective for any health-related purpose.
On the other hand, due to it’s non-contact nature, Reiki hasn’t been shown to have any harmful effects.

A person using Reiki, alongside other treatments, is unlikely to encounter negative side effects.
However, Reiki could lead to harm, if people with serious health issues opt for this therapy, and other complementary therapies, instead of rigorously tested modern medicine.

* “Reiki”: rei, meaning “universal,” and ki, which refers to the vital life force energy [for which there’s no scientific evidence], that flows through all living things.
Not sure of Gord's source for this post.

However, for me, it was a time when I wanted to get over the PTSS from the knockdowns and dis-masting. And I was happy to try something that might help me think more positively. It is a pretty "woo-woo" thing for me to have done, but it worked well with the conventional therapy.

Now lets get back to seeing if our friend can sister the existing mast, now that he is back safe and sound.

Ann
Old 06-06-2022, 00:57   #154
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Not sure of Gord's source for this post ...
Amongst several trusted medical sources, I relied upon the NCCIH.

The National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH) is the Federal Government’s lead agency for scientific research on complementary and integrative health approaches.
https://www.nccih.nih.gov/health/reiki

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 06:04   #155

Boat: Beneteau 36cc

For those interested, here is a video of the demasting.

https://youtu.be/2z9HYJJIa60
SV_Lusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 13:42   #156

Boat: C&C 30 MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV_Lusca View Post

Very sad story, I hope its going better now.
Drumroll30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 20:15   #157

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV_Lusca View Post

D**n, I wish I'd not watched that video.
A mast is replaceable, that beautiful little Bengal cat will be in their minds forever.
Must have got something in my eye.

Tags
Bahamas, mast