Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2022, 19:58   #76

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: Dismasted at sea in the Bahamas, now what

Figuring out insurance and where to get a replacement mast is kinda secondary to getting into a yard at this point. If you have some dyneema you can restep what is left of your mast and sail and basically sail it down wind all the way to florida so you don't have to spend a fortune on fuel. We are in Georgetown and will keep an eye out for you!
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2022, 08:39   #77

Boat: Beneteau 36cc

Anyone know of another option in the ilsands other than T&C, DR or Porto Rico. Maybe the French ilsands, to get worked on our French made Beneteau.

Hard to tell what really happened, it happened so quickly. So this is just a speculation on what I remember hearing and seeing.

There was a snap, like a cable releasing under tension, the sound came from the top.

The bottom turn buckles and rigging were all intact. We have the impression the mast broke before coming down.

The port side inner shroud was no longer attached to the mast, it had come out of the mast.

We were contacted by a fellow cruiser who is here in the Bahamas with the exact same boat. To our surprise he had the mast come down about 4 years ago in about the same manner. We will try to speak to him verbally for more details.

We have a weather window coming up in 2 days, trying to make a decision by then.
SV_Lusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2022, 08:52   #78
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

FKG in St Martin is an EXCELLENT rigging shop. You pull up to their dock and they can do the work in the water. Their prices are also very reasonable.

I have but little experience, however I have never heard a bad review.

This is in the Dutch side if the island but I would not let that bother me a second.

IF you decide to carry on then this is the place to go.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2022, 09:27   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Because you mentioned “French Islands”….

FKG in St Martin is excellent.

Call or email them. Lee runs the rigging shop I believe. They handle everything from old small cruisers to mega yachts.

I would solicit his advice before making any moves. I don’t know that he can help you, but he may well know of some resource that can.

At least you are in a very safe anchorage, even if there is almost nothing around. I would be hesitant to leave there until I had some firm plan.

This below may be of little help but I will throw it out anyway.

Four Star Cargo is a freight forwarder in Miami. They ship daily tk St Martin and I have used them to Grenada. They may or may not have other Caribbean/Bahamian shipping resources. They were helpful, relatively inexpensive, and responsive.

ADDRESS
7640 NW 63rd Street,
Miami FL 33195

PHONE
Phone (305) 717-6200
Fax (305) 477-0790
Thanks, I have sent them an email.
Old 24-03-2022, 10:41   #80
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

I haven't had time to read the whole thread, so maybe a good solution has presented itself. If not, and coming from one who actually HAS replaced a mast in the Caribbean, as opposed to just hearing about it, I would say:

1) First, I would check carefully with the insurer. Often there is a residual value, after all depreciation has been taken, and it may well be 20%. That is worth fighting for, so I would get serious about that and really read your policy.

2) There is technical assistance as good as there is in Florida in a number of islands. Specifically, this would include Puerto Rico, the BVI, and St. Maarten, and, maybe the USVI, although they are not that well set up for this. I replaced my mast in the BVI.

3) I doubt if it will be cheaper in Ft. Lauderdale, although it might be, elsewhere. And, none of the places I mentioned is going to charge an exhorbitant duty. There will be some, in the BVI. The USVI will charge for a mast not built in the US, and they will ask for proof. I have had to pay for Trojan batteries there, which were made in Mexico.

4) The big problem is shipping. Your mast is over 40 feet, so it will be shipped in two parts and then spliced (quite routine) unless it goes deck cargo, which might be pretty vulnerable. Check shipping schedules.

5) In the PR, USVI, BVI, St. Maarten area, don't expect to find a pile of used masts. They were almost all used after Irma, so you are probably talking about a new one. I have no idea about the Bahamas, so can't comment, but don't be surprised if there aren't many. In hurricanes, masts are very vulnerable to damage, and are one of the more costly things to replace, but, as I said, I have no personal knowledge, regarding the Bahamas. As has been said, you might well find one in the US.

6)With regard to heading back to the US, or continuing on East, the worst aspect of going East is not that you will be motoring; you would probably be mostly doing that, anyway. But a lot of a monohull's stability is provided by the inertia of the mast. When dismasted, a boat is way more rolly, sometimes to the point of abandonment. So, take more than the usual care with weather, and really avoid periods when the northern swells are big. If you could arrange some sort of jury rig, it might not help you sail, but it could help you steady the boat, maybe quite a bit. The worst bit will be before Puerto Rico. If you can go around the southern side, everything should be manageable, through the BVI. Crossing from there to St. Maarten will almost certainly be a bitch.

7)To some extent, the same considerations would apply, heading back to Florida, but there is more shelter from everything, and you would be doing more downwind work than going the other direction. But, be careful timing your crossing of the Gulf Stream, due to the vulnerability from rolling in beam seas.

8)Be carefully if you head east and plan to use Ocean World, in the DR, as has been suggested. It is super rolly. Boats break docklines there!

Hopefully, your kitty has just buried itself somewhere safe, rather than overboard, and will emerge. Best of luck with that, and with everything else.

Cheers,
Tim
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2022, 12:49   #81
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I've stated this before, but it's worth repeating. What will you do it you loose engine power during any part of your trip going east ?? You can loose engine power going west as well, but with a jury rig, may be able to proceed downwind with some steerage availability. Your chances of "buddy boating" with someone is also much greater going back via the B'mas and you will have less big seas to be concerned about.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2022, 13:20   #82

Boat: Vagabond 42

S. V. Lusca
I keep my boat in Sint Maarten and know the people at FKG very well. They are quite good with a great facility. They are NOT inexpensive. The bigger issue is getting a mast into Sint Maarten. A relatively new Beneteau lost its stick during the Heineken Regatta due to a spreader failure a few weeks ago. They are dock mates and friends. They are looking at a pretty long wait to get a stick into Sint Maarten IF there is even a stick available. I'm with the other posters, I would head back to the US for repairs.
callistov42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2022, 16:16   #83

Well we finally decided, we are taking our weather window tomorrow and heading back the FL. Will
have to renew our Bahamian cruising licence at the first chance we get.

Deck is secured, boat is full of fuel, I jerry rigged a VHF antenna that will also be used for our AIS and gave back a bit of shape to out bent stanchions.

Lets see how it rocks at see, for now we are travelling alone, probably until George town.

Dave
Old 25-03-2022, 16:20   #84

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV_Lusca View Post
Well we finally decided, we are taking our weather window tomorrow and heading back the FL. Will
have to renew our Bahamian cruising licence at the first chance we get.

Deck is secured, boat is full of fuel, I jerry rigged a VHF antenna that will also be used for our AIS and gave back a bit of shape to out bent stanchions.

Lets see how it rocks at see, for now we are travelling alone, probably until George town.

Dave

Really glad you are able to move away from the initial shock stage and that you made up your mind. I wish you a safe passage back to FL, and plenty more adventures after this mishap is fully behind your back.
Fair winds.
Old 25-03-2022, 16:36   #85

Good luck!

Check back in and let us know how it goes.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2022, 17:08   #86

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan

That break looks pretty clean, you should be able to repair that well enough to sail back to Florida. A sleeve around the broken part, and bolted straight through. Maybe add a solid core piece in there too. Worth a shot.
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2022, 15:58   #87

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Have a safe passage to Georgetown, SV Lusca. Glad you've started along the way. Maybe you can figure out how to use the boom so as to set a riding sail, to ease the motion. Let your creativity loose on it. It is not too hard to imagine a way to use the boom as a mast. Then the sail might be your storm jib. It can be ugly as sin, so long as it helps.

I was glad to see you'd straightened your stanchions. You're well started on the road to recovery, mate.

Good luck with it, and may it be speedy, too.

Ann
Old 26-03-2022, 16:18   #88

Boat: CS27, C&C25 half a lifetime ago

No advice to give, just wishing you Bonne Chance!
5BTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2022, 17:05   #89
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter

If/When you arrive Fort Lauderdale, Playboy Marine Center is a DIY yard with lots of contractors available. It's probably the most economical yard in the vicinity. It's on the Dania Cutoff Canal just south of Port Everglades. Good luck. BTW, the yard is a cash only operation. No credit cards, checks, etc.
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2022, 03:45   #90
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeld View Post
If/When you arrive Fort Lauderdale, Playboy Marine Center is a DIY yard with lots of contractors available. It's probably the most economical yard in the vicinity. It's on the Dania Cutoff Canal just south of Port Everglades. Good luck. BTW, the yard is a cash only operation. No credit cards, checks, etc.
Playboy Marine Center: Cash and Cashier’s Check only
Rates ➥ Rates - Playboy Marine
Contactors [Rigging] ➥ Boatyard Contractor Directory Dania Beach - Boat Repair Contractor List | Playboymarine.com

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, mast