Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2018, 07:54   #16

Boat: 38" Sailboat
Cost to mast with in mast furling mainsail to J105?

Being in the process of going the other direction right now where I will be looking at modifying my mast to get rid of my mainsail furling and to move to a strongtrak and lazy jacks, is there a reason you want to move to in-mast furling?

A j105 is pretty much a pure raceboat, and if your just trying to rig it for easier sailing such as single handing, consider a furling boom. I am assuming cost is not a factor since you specified a carbon mast. The benefit of a furling boom is you could have a traditional battoned sail, you also wouldn't mess with the weight distribution as much since the curling boom would be low. If you want you could still have the carbon mast. Add a code zero furler and you would have a fast raceboat that you could easily 1-2 hand.
SailingPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 08:03   #17

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Cost to mast with in mast furling mainsail to J105?

I can’t see any reason to modify a 105 in any expensive way...it’s already a comparative rocket, a spiritual successor to the J/24.

Does the OP even know how to sail? While the 105 is not a pure sport boat you can get into trouble pretty quick if you don’t know what you’re doing. Planing downwind at 15 knots is not for novices.
Old 22-08-2018, 12:15   #18

Boat: GibSea 472

I believe that in mast furling system need to be adapted to the boat. For exemple, my sailboat is equiped withs such furler, but my mast is 2 meter taller then the equivalent boat(Beneteau 472),to compensate for the lost area of the roach. I think that Selden in mast furlers accept large roach by installing vertical battens that roll with the sail in the mast.
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 13:09   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

To answer the OPs question, unless you luck into a used mast (very unlikely) figure $15,000 more or less for Al, double that for carbon. Plus sails.

Not a reasonable or practical idea.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 14:25   #20

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

I would not be using in-mast furling in any vessel when boom furling, either rotary or in-boom, and a half-decent track on the mainmast are both together available for less cost to performance, the pocket, and maintenance--but I suppose others have pointed this out already.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 14:40   #21

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

I had a Dutchman system
On my P36-2. Sail would come down like a rocket and mostly fold in place. But very easy to deal with. The isomast Pearson used was a great mast and never hung up. I now have an in mast furling system on my 423..... learning to live it though the first year was a challenge.... too much halyard tension.

Good luck
Greg
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 15:51   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
To answer the OPs question, unless you luck into a used mast (very unlikely) figure $15,000 more or less for Al, double that for carbon. Plus sails.

Thanks for the actual answer. I appreciate it. Cost is relative.
sea2ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 16:30   #23

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Mate, if you really want to know how much it would cost, stop wasting your time here on CF nd call some spar manufcturers and ask for a quote. Then call some sailmakers and ask for a quote. Then call a rigger and ask for a quote on installation.

Then and only then will you have a decent approximation of what it will cost you... and likely none of those folks will tell you that what you want is silly, wrong or impossible, unless of course it IS impossible. None of us here can give you that info.

Jim
Old 22-08-2018, 17:47   #24

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post

Having helped with a few race boats that have lost rigs I think it'll probably be a lot more. I think Selden or similar would have to make you one more or less specifically for the J105. The mast diameter would be different so you'd need new spreaders and standing rigging, probably a bigger through-deck hole, and of course to set it up without all the pre-bend the J105 rig wants (furlers don't like a ton of bend). You'll also need a new boom or to heavily modify the one you have. I'd guess closer to $30k all up with a new dacron main and all the rigging mods.

Assuming he's referring to a carbon mast, I've never seen a carbon roller furling mast although I suppose someone may have made one. Given that carbon + salt water will eat stainless like no one's business (ask me how I know) I'd think the mandrel would need to be isolated from the carbon with either titanium bearings/standoffs or composite. Ugh.

I think boom furling would be cheaper, although it's also pricey. Keep in mind that at least the LeisureFurl requires modifying the mast for the furler drum, so adding one would probably also essentially "ruin" the mast for any resale.
gjorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 11:09   #25

FWIW: PO spent 35 grand on installing mast furling on my 30-foot motorsailer that I got for a FRACTION of that cos the PO was weak on the fundamentals. Other potential buyers (with nous) had passed her by for that reason :-)

Some people know what they are doing, some don't. Make sure you are in the former group. Don't be taken in by the adverts s in the glossies and the banter/bragging at the clubhouse bar.

You ask about how you get a neat furl. Practice! The main on a J105 is a puny 300 SqFt. You should be able to handle 400 in 20 knots. Bring the luff down with the bunt falling on alternate sides of the boom as it comes down. Throw a gasket around boom and sail near the goose neck. Drop the boom end using the running topping lift (you do HAVE a running TL, don't you?) so you can reach the after end of the boom from the cockpit floor. Tidy up the bunt with the folds going alternate sides of the boom and lay gaskets on it as you go. Raise the boom on the TL so things look tiddly. Abracadabra :-)!

Doing it my way is a 3-minute hassle-free, singlehanded job. Unless you get inveigled into installing at vast expense what you have absolutely no need for.

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furling, mainsail, mast, sail