Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2011, 18:49   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Which Electric Toilet?

I have the Jabsco elec. conversion and it works great..not a lot of noice but is something that can be heard..one at home makes noice to so not a big deal to me..good luck..DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 18:58   #17

I converted my manual Jabsco to the electric Quiet Flush version. Best upgrade I did. Uses same bowl, just swap out the base. I also considered the easier electric conversion pump, but having the knob right there next to the target hole being subject to splashing and bad aiming, wasn't all that sanitary to me. Plus a buddy had one that wasn't trouble free.
2 yrs and my Quiet Flush has never missed a beat. Plus it's a more cleaner look with the wall mount, 3 modes of operation flush control. Can either fill and macerate at same time, just fill bowl with water, or empty contents.

No experience with any other brands.
US1Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 19:03   #18
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I fully appreciate pre-wetting a bowl. I guess I'm just a fossil, I'm too ingrained on the concept of "don't leave bowls of water slopping around unless you want them slopping all over your bunk" because you know, keep boats have that nasty habit of taking wake, yawing, pitching, finding ways to LAUNCH stuff out of open containers.

Of course for that matter, women and men alike complain "WHY'D YOU PUT THE LID DOWN?!" because I always, always, close toilet lids. Not just seats.

Dropping in a toothbrush, glasses, dentures (that wasn't me)....then one day my Big Black Dog thought she'd bring me a gift, a lapful of this nice fresh cold water she found....UGH.

So I keep the bowl DRY AND SECURED.

if Raritan were Japanese, they'd keep the bowl dry and covered, and use a proximity sensor to politely open the lid and dampen the bowl as it detected breeks descending. If they don't add that option soon, ToTo's gonna steal their thunder.pot.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 23:42   #19

Boat: Freydis 49

TCM are great, cheap and have never failed on me after 10 years, only electric motor I have that gets washed down with water (from shower) regularly and still works.
Old 18-11-2012, 01:57   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I'm surprised this old thread has been revived.

As the OP, I can report on my own experiences.

I took Peggy Hall's advice and bought two Raritan Sea Era toilet conversions from HopCar, who gave me a great deal and great service (highly recommended).

Spent two days trying to install one of them in my forward heads and failed due to lack of access under the floor . Contrary to some reports, the Sea Era is NOT a drop in replacement for the Jabsco - the bowl fits, but the mounting is all different, and the piping is in a completely different place.

Ended up installing the old Jabsco electric conversion in the forward heads, and one of the Sea Eras in the after heads.

And am pretty happy with the results. The Raritan is a lot quieter than the Jabsco, and so far works flawlessly. Oh, and guests were much, much happier on my summer cruise! No more manual toilets for me, ever again!

Have an extra Raritan, fresh water, if someone in the UK wants to buy it cheap.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 02:42   #21

Boat: Chris-Craft 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Ended up installing the old Jabsco electric conversion in the forward heads, and one of the Sea Eras in the after heads.

And am pretty happy with the results. The Raritan is a lot quieter than the Jabsco, and so far works flawlessly. Oh, and guests were much, much happier on my summer cruise! No more manual toilets for me, ever again!
I upgraded to a Jabsco quiet flush fresh water over 9 years ago for the aft head
Working perfect after every day liveaboard use,fresh water reduces the smell associated with sea water,and as it lacks that extra impeller pump ,it has lots of power
I wish the darn thing would break as there are some nice looking replacements available these days
The Raritan Marine Elegance and Jabsco Deluxe Flush look real nice in my opinion

So Dockhead ,
Is the Raritan in your aft head a fresh water flush?
Stray-Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 03:23   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stray-Cat View Post
I upgraded to a Jabsco quiet flush fresh water over 9 years ago for the aft head
Working perfect after every day liveaboard use,fresh water reduces the smell associated with sea water,and as it lacks that extra impeller pump ,it has lots of power
I wish the darn thing would break as there are some nice looking replacements available these days
The Raritan Marine Elegance and Jabsco Deluxe Flush look real nice in my opinion

So Dockhead ,
Is the Raritan in your aft head a fresh water flush?
You wish it would break?! You're a glutton for punishment. I have no shortage at all of things breaking on my boat. Bless any bit of kit which keeps on working . . . it's rare enough.

No, my toilets are both seawater flush. I have never had any problem with smells and decided not to use the fresh water flush one I bought because I sometimes spend quite a bit of time on my mooring without going anywhere, and so fresh water conservation is sometimes important.

I always flush them through with fresh water when I leave the boat and turn off all the sea cocks. The first flush after recommissioning them is always stinky as a result of the rotten seawater trapped in the intake line, but that's gone in a few minutes.

I don't know about the Jabsco quiet flush, but I have had a lot of trouble with the regular electric conversion, as well as the Jabsco manual toilet. A whole lot of trouble which has occupied a lot of time I could have spent better while cruising.

I finally have the Jabsco regular (very noisy) conversion working ok in my forward heads, since I can't really use anything else without cutting out the floor in my forward heads. Hope it will last for a while. It's the third unit -- second replacement in three years! I have grown to hate them for all the problems they caused me.

The Raritan uses diaphragm pumps instead of impeller pumps. Much quieter, and I really hope will be reliable like those bulletproof Whale Gulper diaphragm pumps. And I really hope this is an advantage in priming -- one of my chronic problems with the Jabsco electric conversion was failure to prime. I used to keep a bucket and siphon hose in my after heads for the frequent cases where the bloody Jabsco discharge pump would fail to prime and I would have to siphon out the bowl. Bleh! Unpleasant memories . . .
Old 18-11-2012, 04:04   #23

Some good points Dockhead
I never thought of flushing with fresh water

I had the regular elec toilet for 6 years before I purchased the quiet flush
Under regular use ,every 2 years would need a rubber impeller replacement
Once during that time I had to replace the electric motor
That motor has to work real hard to do both macerating and water pumping
Even when seldom used the impeller will seize
Note:Thats why they put a slotted notch on the end of the motor so you can force it when seized
At that time there is a chance that one of the blades will be damaged,resulting in reduced water input, and eventual failure a few months later

Just run it once and awhile , better than having it seize up

It's a shame you could not adapt to the diaphragm pump
I have a gulper as my primary bilge pump , it was worth every cent
Much better than an impeller pump
Old 18-11-2012, 05:21   #24

It's unusual for me to be entertained by a discussion of shredding toilet contents at breakfast time, but this "toilet" presentation is quit impressive. "Guest friendly :
http://www.raritaneng.com/images/raritan2.swf
YADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 06:55   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by YADO View Post
It's unusual for me to be entertained by a discussion of shredding toilet contents at breakfast time, but this "toilet" presentation is quit impressive. "Guest friendly
You don't really think about this stuff........untill it breaks down
Then you want to make sure its fixed properly and it keeps working so you don't have to deal with it again
Worst project on a boat

While we are on this subject
There was a thread in the navigation forum section titled
"Do you know who this is?"
About a guy that is famous for his contributions on navigation

Here is a picture of another very important guy
(that I bet you don't know)
In my opinion his contributions to mankind far outweigh that mathematical genius

His name is Andrew Rankin 1866
Urinal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Andrew Rankin.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	49899  
Old 18-11-2012, 19:40   #26

Boat: Columbia C45 45'

I installed a Jabsco Quiet Flush in my aft head last week. I didn't like the old Jabsco because it had the water pump and waste pump in one unit. The new one has a separate water pump and waste pump. Like the man said when I bought it you only hear it one boat away instead of ten. LOL They had a sale on the Quiet Flush for less than half the normal selling price so I was very happy with that. It was very easy to install.
boating2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 19:56   #27

I like the lavac (Lavac Marine Toilets). It comes with a manual pump, but I did like the other have said and installed an electric macerator to the exhaust hose and a push button electrical switch on the bulkhead. It's flawless and cheap.
Bambolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 20:59   #28

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

My TMC has started playing up. It cuts in and out intermittently. I read somewhere that it could be a cause of low power, but I've put a charger on the bank and put the charge up fully and it still cuts out and won't come back on until it's rested for a while. Any suggestions? Ted
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 22:53   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedsherrin View Post
My TMC has started playing up. It cuts in and out intermittently. I read somewhere that it could be a cause of low power, but I've put a charger on the bank and put the charge up fully and it still cuts out and won't come back on until it's rested for a while. Any suggestions? Ted
Check all your crimps and spade connectors for corrosion or looseness.
Old 22-11-2012, 22:59   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stray-Cat View Post

It's a shame you could not adapt to the diaphragm pump
I have a gulper as my primary bilge pump , it was worth every cent
Much better than an impeller pump
The Raritan, and probably others, use diaphragm pumps. Much quieter, and no priming problems.

Tags
electric