Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-10-2011, 05:38   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Which Electric Toilet?

One of my top-priority projects this winter is to replace my forward heads toilet (the one guests use) with an electric one.

During my long summer cruiser this year, I got really tired of the manual Jabsco toilet, with its flimsy plastic pump which squeaks and takes a lot of force to operate correctly. My guests have always been too polite to say anything, but it dawned on me that the toilet was a source of discomfort to them. An electric one will be much easier to use.

An electric macerating toilet is also better for non-boaters as it is much less susceptible to clogging, as far as I know.

My initial impulse would be to pop on a Jabsco electric conversion pump, which is what I have been using in my after heads (my own ensuite heads) with reasonable satisfaction. The advantages are:

1. No need to change the toilet or any of the plumbing -- easy installation.
2. Can be converted back to manual in 3 minutes using a spare pump - in case the electric pump fails.
3. Reasonable cost.

Disadvantages:

1. Incredibly noisy -- sounds almost like a bow thruster operating.

I know the Toilet Lady has some strong opinions about the relative merits of different marine toilets -- maybe she could share some of these. Anyone else have good or bad experiences to report about converting manual to electric?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric