Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 08:42   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Which Electric Toilet?

Microship, The issue is the pumping time it takes to clear the hose. You don't want "stuff" sitting in the hose. You need to run the pump long enough to move all of the "stuff" into the tank. Short flushing times cause a lot of blockage problems. The longer your hose, the longer you need to flush.

As I recall the Raritan website will tell you how many seconds of flushing it takes to clear a certain length of hose. Long flushing fills your holding tank faster so a short run to the tank is desirable but not necessary.

I have heard a lot of good things about the Raritan Elegance. If you decide to buy one, I'd love the chance to quote on it.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:46   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
An extremely important point of order when using a marine toilet, is pump enough after using to completely clear the lines. There is no excuse for the lines being full of sh*t (or what is actually much worse, the other human waste product, which will precipitate calcium in the presence of seawater, causing sewagepipeosclerosis and eventually clogging the lines).

This is one of the most important advantages of electric toilets -- it is not beyond anyone's strength to pump that much. I think actually a really well designed marined toilet would have a timer on it, so that it will continue pumping automatically for just the right amount of time to completely flush the lines through.
I have an electric head and it seems to be able to clear the lines as you mentioned...I think thats what it does anyway..never had an oder problem with it ...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 00:49   #48

This is an upgraded version of one of the most popular macerating toilets:

Planus| Patented noisless operation.

http://www.planus.biz/press.htm

Very silent, top quality, so a bit pricy - but any guest will be comfortable with this toilet since it has an switch option called "family switch" and it will not wake up sleeping beauties either...
Singleprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 07:38   #49
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Planus makes some pretty potties, but they sure look like they're designed for Yachts of some size, not small craft.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 12:01   #50

Have you considered a composting toilet? We've had the nature's Head for ayear and are thrilled. We know about 10 people who have this, or the Airhead, and all are happy. Little power use, no smell, no hoses, no tanks, no thru hull, Coast Guard loves it...what's not to like?

Now, be prepared to hear from many boaters, who don't have one and don't really know, talking them down. I heard this at West Marine even. You can't buy them in a store, so the stores trash talk them. They want you to buy the hyper expensive system they sell.

Find a guy with one installed. Check it out. You will be amazed, I promise.
brad torrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 12:10   #51

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50

Brad - thanks for the comment on composting. I really do love the concept, though I have heard (anecdotally, so who knows) that in cold northwest weather, living aboard full time, it's not nearly as effective. I have NO experience with this, so could be completely wrong, but I've read that more than once from users around here. (Also, more specific to my boat, my only clear shot for the vent is into the area under the dodger... and space may be too tight anyway.)

At the moment, my default plan is Marine Elegance with Sea/Fresh and the fancy control panel, replacing the aft Lavac. The forward head is so small that the cramped little Lavac is the only option, so I'll leave that as a manual backup.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 25-02-2013, 12:25   #52

Boat: Beneteau 473

Marine Elegance" Raritan Elegance toilet.

We have done many upgrades to our boat in the last six months, but this has been the best! We replaced two of our three heads with the Raritan. It was easy to install (my husband did one while I did the other at the same time). Since we were also installing a watermaker at the same time, we changed to a freshwater system for the toilets, cutting down on the potential for smell. As Americans this will sound strange, but we got the bidet option -- we love it and it cuts down on the TP!

We have changed/upgraded a lot of things on our boat in the last six months to make it cruising ready for us and I believe this has been the best of them all!

Robyn
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 12:34   #53

Great to hear, Robyn - thanks! Peggie Hall spoke very highly of it as well, and I've heard pretty much all good from everyone, so I'm putting together the parts list. Appreciate the helpful comments here, as always!

Steve
Old 25-02-2013, 12:42   #54

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microship View Post
Great to hear, Robyn - thanks! Peggie Hall spoke very highly of it as wel, and I've heard pretty much all good from everyone, so I'm putting together the parts list. Appreciate the helpful comments here, as always!

Steve
I guarantee you will not be disappointed!

Robyn
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 13:21   #55

[QUOTE=Microship;1168405]Brad - thanks for the comment on composting. I really do love the concept, though I have heard (anecdotally, so who knows) that in cold northwest weather, living aboard full time, it's not nearly as effective. I have NO experience with this, so could be completely wrong, but I've read that more than once from users around here. (Also, more specific to my boat, my only clear shot for the vent is into the area under the dodger... and space may be too tight anyway.)

Steve, I live in the Northwest as well, in BC. It works perfectly. What happens is, the actual composting slows or stops when it gets cold. The material still dries out however, and shrinks drastically. When it warms up, composting resumes.

We don't use the toilet much in the winter, as we are not boating more than once per week or two. (It holds 60-80 solid uses). In the spring, I empty it, and it is completely broken down.

Also, you don't need a straight shot for the vent. You use a flexible hose, and put it out anywhere you want.
brad torrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 15:19   #56

That's good to hear, Brad. The simplicity is appealing, though I really do have space constraints for both of the major brands. Not sure it works for me, but it's good to have a more positive data point from this region!

Cheers,
Steve
Old 22-07-2013, 09:20   #57

Boat: Passport 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMove View Post
Marine Elegance" Raritan Elegance toilet.
...but we got the bidet option...
Robyn
Where did you purchase it? I cannot find a single site that has the Marine Elegance with the bidet option. Even the Raritan catalog shows the bidet on the elegance but I cannot find a part number for it on the elegance

-barry
memelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 09:40   #58
Marine Service Provider

Has it occurred to you to ask Raritan? 800-352-5630
peghall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 09:47   #59

Boat: Passport 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Has it occurred to you to ask Raritan? 800-352-5630
Yes, I already sent them an email as well. Thanks!

And Peggy, I thought you "retired". Just can't stay away ;-)
memelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 09:57   #60
Marine Service Provider

I still lurk occasionally...it's not easy to kick an addiction that's lasted 20 years "cold turkey!"
peghall is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric