Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2013, 22:19   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: This is the morning of my discontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
SC, I just want to know if you painted the head purple?
I should have, but I kept it boring white. Though the acid rinse did wonders to clean the lime away, what little there was on the bowl.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 22:29   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsanta View Post
You might as well find something else to fix while your at it. Get that third item out of the way. They come in threes I think
Actually the Head rebuild was my third major repair this summer, Though after the engine rebuild, anything that takes less then a week to do is simple.

The first was a major carburetor rebuild on my 79 goldwing including syncing the carbs. Yes I'm weird as I prefer land sailing as I call motorcycle riding.

Lordy, I'm hoping the mechanicing is mostly done for the year. Its been a real exciting time in sailorchic land. But for the moment everything is working. Knock on teak.
Old 31-08-2013, 00:00   #33

Boat: 42' Colvin Gazelle

That's an impressive lifespan on a head! Last boat , it got rebuilt every 12-14 months.The head in this boat has only been in service half a year and the joker valve is already acting up. Skip the antisiphon valve, they are a maintenance issue and drastically reduce flushing ability. Put a ball valve in your intake line right next to the bowl and open it only when flushing, it will work forever and will never flood the boat.
Sailormantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 07:57   #34

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Well That was not too bad at all. First I pumped out, rinsed with muriatic acid down the head, which killed the smell, pumped out and rinsed and pumped out again.

Removed the head and took it outside. There was no smell.. I guess I'm just sweet smelling Or more likely the acid killed the bacteria.

The pump was not pumping at all, nothing at all. So replaced the plunger seal and the joker valve which was bad too. Now its like new. Hope I get another 6 years out of it.

So sweet.

Life is good!
In future try an annual maintenance call per the manufacturers instructions and you might not have a problem again. Also, try adding a few squirts of a mild solution of SaltAway and Fresh Water to the water in the bowl after its used and cleared and give the toilet a few extra pumps. That will prevent debris from building up in the lines and keep you valves pliable.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 08:06   #35

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Think I'd rather do the engine rebuild. But, no worries where head rebuilds are concerned for me - bucket never backs up or needs flapper valves.

Have fun!

And dump outs are LEGAL! Just think, no worries about wrong toilet paper either
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 08:55   #36
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i think sc has it down as her rebuild was many years after install.......
no need to buy the pricey item specific stuff to do the maintenance---thos eof us on budgets use vinegar, or muriatic acid, and oil. salad dressing is awesome in a toilet on water..... try it some time--one need no tspend allones dough just because one owns a b o a t

also note--the more a head is used the longer it functions. being left for months is not good for any equipment, toilet inclusive.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 09:07   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
In future try an annual maintenance call per the manufacturers instructions and you might not have a problem again. Also, try adding a few squirts of a mild solution of SaltAway and Fresh Water to the water in the bowl after its used and cleared and give the toilet a few extra pumps. That will prevent debris from building up in the lines and keep you valves pliable.

FWIW...
The Raritan PHII does not have annual maintenance according to manufacturers literature. They do have winterizing instructions but I try to avoid that whole winter freezing thingy.

I should note that I do use vinegar every few weeks, Letting it sit over night and there was no liming on the interior of the pump or piping that I saw. But then my head sits slightly above the inlet to the holding tank and the hose, so the hose drains by gravity to the tank. Plus the hose is less then 36" long.

I also don't use a vented loop. Not sure why one would use a vented loop on a head that sits above the water line. The intent of the vented loop is to prevent siphonage back from a through hole to the head. Going to the tank directly, I just don't see the need.
Old 31-08-2013, 15:12   #38

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

The vented loop comes in handy if, when heeled, there is a chance of siphoning water inboard. I don't have that issue, so mine is sans siphon break. Many monohulls are in danger of filling through the toilet if they heel the wrong way and stay heeled for a protracted period.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 15:33   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
.............I should note that I do use vinegar every few weeks, Letting it sit over night and there was no liming on the interior of the pump or piping that I saw. But then my head sits slightly above the inlet to the holding tank and the hose, so the hose drains by gravity to the tank. Plus the hose is less then 36" long. ...................
I think the weak acetic acid you use is a wise practice. If the joker valve was distorted in shape, but not crusted with the deposits, I think your 36" hose is fine. My second most frequent refit is the hose and my first need is usually the joker valve alone with the same Raritan head.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:34   #40

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
Wow.....

Yeah... Saw an comparison test in Practical Sailor... and it looks like mostly the joker valves usually last about 1 year, 2 tops...

-Chris
Old 01-09-2013, 06:54   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
And dump outs are LEGAL! Just think, no worries about wrong toilet paper either
'Dump outs are legal'? Hmmmm. Well, I follow the rules and chuck bucket contents where allowed - offshore. Another advantage to using a bucket is portability. No pump out available? You can carry the bucket to a nearby toilet for emptying. If a pump out is available, use it.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:29   #42

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
The Raritan PHII does not have annual maintenance according to manufacturers literature. They do have winterizing instructions but I try to avoid that whole winter freezing thingy.

I should note that I do use vinegar every few weeks, Letting it sit over night and there was no liming on the interior of the pump or piping that I saw. But then my head sits slightly above the inlet to the holding tank and the hose, so the hose drains by gravity to the tank. Plus the hose is less then 36" long.

I also don't use a vented loop. Not sure why one would use a vented loop on a head that sits above the water line. The intent of the vented loop is to prevent siphonage back from a through hole to the head. Going to the tank directly, I just don't see the need.
The following is taken from the top of Page 3 of the literature that accompanied the Raritan Ph we installed on our prior yacht:

Quote:
Super-Lube applied to the piston rod will prolong the life of the Piston Shaft Seal. This should be done every spring and fall and more regularly if the head is used frequently. Applying Super-Lube to all moving parts is recommended annually.

The foregoing maintenance regime, coupled with cleaning and applying a spray coating of SailKote to the cyclinder walls of the pump and dressing the piston seal with Super-Lube annually seems to have kept the pump in good working condition since February 1987.

In re: vented loops, as commented upon by others, above, if the head is below the water-line when you're rail down and that head is used while underway, you may discover the merit of the loop. BTDT.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote