Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2013, 16:13   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: This is the morning of my discontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
beni--if it is only eel grass you wont have to rebuild it--just make new gaskets..remove the bits gently so you can re use after cleaning....and do lube prior to reinstallation with some kind of semi solid toilet butter of some sort so it keeps being smooth. i didnt and wish i had......

be ready for a fish or octopus, if sf bay has those......the thought much less the reality makes smelling eel grass pleasant.
There wasn't any eel grass in it. it all looked clean, but the rubber seal on the piston was shot as was the joker valve. It pumps like new now.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 16:14   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

didja put some had butter /head lube in it for ease in pumping??
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 17:24   #18

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
There wasn't any eel grass in it. it all looked clean, but the rubber seal on the piston was shot as was the joker valve. It pumps like new now.
my raritan phII quit working three months ago after ten years (but i'm not a liveaboard) and, interestingly enough, the problem was also the rubber seal on the piston. everything else, including the joker valve, were fine - but i replaced them anyway because i had just paid for the whole rebuild kit ($80).

i have an inline filter on the intake side which hopefully keeps eel grass and other stuff out of the system.

i think the key to keeping the system clean and working is to pump pump pump pump pump. twenty times for 'liquid' waste and thirty times for 'solid waste'. might be overkill - and maybe that's why the piston seal gave up - but it sure keeps the smell out of the head and lines.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 17:40   #19

Boat: Fuji 45'
Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71
Amazing. I have sooooooooo much to learn!! Next big project, SC, lemme know and I'll come help! Lol I want to be able to do everything myself, yet I don't really know anything yet. :-/
Old 30-08-2013, 17:51   #20

Boat: Alberg 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post

Think I'd rather do the engine rebuild. But, no worries where head rebuilds are concerned for me - bucket never backs up or needs flapper valves.

Have fun!
However, a cleaned and maintained toilet requires less regular playing with your own excrement vs a bucket.
It's a trade off.
I prefer to change valves and do maintenance on a toilet that has had a good deal of cleaner through it and an empty holding tank. To that end I change the bits before they break. Usually means little or no smell, and I don't have to see the captain's log.

Some prefer the chocolate fountain, those people save the servicing as long as possible.

I had one line recently there was no way to avoid cutting under pressure.

Though this time will suck(I recommend good gloves, a organic vapor respirator if it's horrid and definitely safety glasses.) The next times will be much easier, especially if you change the bits every few years.

I like a good spray bottle of cleaner(Windex actually works great), and a toilet brush too. I change my gloves as I go, insert paper towel in hose, put old gloves over hose end, tape. Remove from boat, wash and clean then much easier to work on.

If you have one, the vacuum oil suckers can keep things nice and neat too. I have one special for vacuum pumps, toilet bases and full lines.
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 17:57   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
didja put some had butter /head lube in it for ease in pumping??
Not enough for sure. Though I did lube the piston seal with the grease provided.
Old 30-08-2013, 18:05   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverChick71 View Post
Amazing. I have sooooooooo much to learn!! Next big project, SC, lemme know and I'll come help! Lol I want to be able to do everything myself, yet I don't really know anything yet. :-/
Pity, you just missed my month long diesel engine removal and rebuild. See http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ar-107705.html

That was a project. Though I really just have the basic tool, IE set of wrenches and sockets, screw drivers, etc. I also have a 18" breaker bar with a 30" cheater which helps alot for muscle power. Plus a torque wrench which is needed once you remove the engine head.

Really the toilet project was not bad at all. Of course the key to happiness is to kill the bugs and smell with acid first. No odor which made me very happy.
Old 30-08-2013, 18:22   #23

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Well That was not too bad at all....
Hmm, no pictures this time? I liked the way you illustrated the engine project....

Just kidding, but I'll be doing mine next week. It is already off the boat and I have the PHRK11C kit with 300 bits inside at the ready. No idea when was the last rebuild, I bought it 3 years ago, but the boat is on the hard and the head is unused - perfect time.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 18:24   #24

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

When I mentioned at work that I'll be rebuilding my head this weekend they all stared at me as if saying good bye...
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 19:05   #25

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

I do a fair bit of preventive maintenance training for my customers. With the toilet, they get a ziplock plastic bag, big enough for the job. Inside the clean bag is a complete spares kit for the pump. Also included is a complete pump assembly, as a spare.

The scenario is this: their guest flushes the toilet and then comes on deck to reveal that there is a problem. The owner smiles (outside, of course), then goes below, shuts off the seawater intake valve to the toilet. (S)he then grabs the spares kit and the screwdriver that lives in a space nearby. Hopefully, the bucket is nearby. Then, removing the hose clamps to the seawater intake line and the exhaust hose, (s)he removes the hoses from the pump assembly. Then the four bolts holding the assembly are removed. This is where the ugly part happens, so have water and sponges or rags available, as the loose stuff issues forth. Just do it. Now, install the replacement pump with four bolts and two hose clamps, dump the jammed pump into the ziplock baggie, and hide it somewhere until you are ready to do the rebuild. Fifteen minutes later, you walk out to applause and universal appreciation. Later, you (or someone else) gets to rebuild the pump and replace the spares kit.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 19:49   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
my raritan phII quit working three months ago after ten years (but i'm not a liveaboard) and, interestingly enough, the problem was also the rubber seal on the piston. everything else, including the joker valve, were fine - but i replaced them anyway because i had just paid for the whole rebuild kit ($80).

i have an inline filter on the intake side which hopefully keeps eel grass and other stuff out of the system.

i think the key to keeping the system clean and working is to pump pump pump pump pump. twenty times for 'liquid' waste and thirty times for 'solid waste'. might be overkill - and maybe that's why the piston seal gave up - but it sure keeps the smell out of the head and lines.
I agree on the pumping 30 times..I have an electric unit also but dont use it much,so I use the manual pump and I pump it, lots and lots of times and have no smells..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 19:57   #27

- Crank the music.
- Have lots of paper towels.
- Have a bucket handy.
- Get some small tupperwares ready.
- Get a heatgun ready for fitting new sanitation hose to fittings.
- Use gloves, and maybe even goggles for the few times you might get face-splashed.

I have a Raritan SeaEra that's been great. I change my hoses out every year, the tank is gravity fed (the bottom is above the water line).
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 20:19   #28

Boat: islandpacket
You might as well find something else to fix while your at it. Get that third item out of the way. They come in threes I think
Old 30-08-2013, 21:30   #29

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
SC, I just want to know if you painted the head purple?
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 22:17   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Hmm, no pictures this time? I liked the way you illustrated the engine project....

Just kidding, but I'll be doing mine next week. It is already off the boat and I have the PHRK11C kit with 300 bits inside at the ready. No idea when was the last rebuild, I bought it 3 years ago, but the boat is on the hard and the head is unused - perfect time.
I thought of photo for a minute. but its really pretty simple. Actually you'll find that there are more parts then you'll need. My repair kit had parts for several different models of PHII's. Seems that the newer heads (after 1992) need far fewer parts.

I actually did not change out the O-rings on the water valve as the old ones looked fine.