Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2019, 23:19   #106

Re: Any ideas about how i can add hot water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
I missed the point about the outboard. Sorry. I do not think solar would be enough in your case. Since you already carry gas, a gas generator is your beat option for charging and heat, ie the aforementioned Honda. I would not worry so much about the inverter and extra batteries at this stage. I would setup the generator nicely somewhere, even consider a modification for a remote start.

Conceptually, it could be ideal to find a way to mount a generator to the outboard engine, then you get the benefit of a remote start, quiet water cooling, etc. One idea could be to modify the outboard to drive a power takeoff, then the have one unit driving the propeller, another driving a generator. Too complicated perhaps. However, I definitely see the benefit of an outboard/generator combo. Is it that hard to retrofit a power takeoff for about 2-3 hp that then drives a generator taken from a Honda 2200i?
Where can I buy an of shelf remote start for a Honda 2200i ?????

Well certainly all Your ideas are posible. After all today we can fly to the moon. But never forget there are always more projects on a boat and You buy a boat because You like sailing.
Old 18-12-2019, 00:17   #107
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior 90 View Post
Where can I buy an of shelf remote start for a Honda 2200i ?????

Here ya go
https://liveworkdream.com/2019/06/05...nda-generator/

You buy a boat because You like sailing.
Yea right we buy boats because all we do is sail them
Old 18-12-2019, 15:13   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Well, sorry to disappoint You but when You look closer You will find out they talk always about the Honda 3000i which has a starter motor where You could use a remote control
Unfortunately the Honda 2200i does not have starter motor.
Of course the Mod 3000i with a weight of 131 Lbs is a lot more heavy then the Mod 2200i @ 47 Lbs.
I am sure You can imagine the consequences of the difference. Yeah different legue while the 2200i is sufficient for the application on the FP Maldive

However I did my home work. I remember some 5 years ago there was a guy that also has a YT channel that designed an electric start with remote. Going to his company web site I found he also sells remote controls for Honda and that this could also be used on his design of the Mod 2000i electric start version which is basically the same as the 2200i. However at the time there was no ready of the shelf kit for this up grade from him and he mentioned that he also did have no plans to persue the subject further........
BUT, there were some quite decent YT instruction videos how to DIY this upgrade.

Yeah great, found it, link still exists

Here You go......

In ref to water heating I made an interesting discovery last night.
Had a visit from Mr. McLukie

Started a new thread this morning. Still needs a little kicking around but I am sure there are some creative DIY brain stormers on board that could help with something fancy$$$ to fix the chinese flaws......

HEATER & HOT WATER @ 12 V - 5 amps
HEATER & HOT WATER @ 12 V - 5 amps - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Old 19-12-2019, 10:30   #109

Boat: Summer Twins 25

Vented to under the Deck is literally a 1 inch piped hole through the floor of the locker to the underside of the Deck - an advantage of a catamaran
That’s why the propane is in there because if there was a gas leak ( extremely unlikely on a boat I maintain myself ) then any gas would simply drop straight out of the bottom.
I could even just store it there and place in the deck, but I like this one much more than the ones with a 100mm flue which I can’t decide how to fit on a sea going boat
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 11:33   #110

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Your comment drips with sarcasm but unfortunately you misquoted him.

He said "You buy a boat because you like sailing", not that that is the only reason or the only thing that we do with them.

Many of us have apparently lost the passion for sailing and it becomes secondary. Others had the dream of sailing until they actually did a bit of it, then they realized that they don't, in fact, like sailing.

And then, I suppose, some had totally other reasons.

But if you do like sailing enough to buy a sailboat, with all the other difficulties which come from that lifestyle choice (like no hot water), then let's not lose sight of the fact that many of our equipment choices can detract from the joy of the sailing experience, lest not remembering that fact lead us to a spot where we never sail at all.
Old 19-12-2019, 11:55   #111
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Your comment drips with sarcasm but unfortunately you misquoted him.

He said "You buy a boat because you like sailing", not that that is the only reason or the only thing that we do with them.

Many of us have apparently lost the passion for sailing and it becomes secondary. Others had the dream of sailing until they actually did a bit of it, then they realized that they don't, in fact, like sailing.

And then, I suppose, some had totally other reasons.

But if you do like sailing enough to buy a sailboat, with all the other difficulties which come from that lifestyle choice (like no hot water), then let's not lose sight of the fact that many of our equipment choices can detract from the joy of the sailing experience, lest not remembering that fact lead us to a spot where we never sail at all.
I did not misquote him i was yes being sarcastic think about this i am a retired shipwright and i wish i could go sailing right now but instead i am doing a refit

Its like the definition of cruising

FIXING YOUR BOAT IN EXOTIC PLACES.
Old 19-12-2019, 12:08   #112
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Of course the Mod 3000i with a weight of 131 Lbs is a lot more heavy then the Mod 2200i @ 47 Lbs
Wow that's huge. So getting a second Companion version you get more power at much less weight.

Any downside?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 15:19   #113

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
I did not misquote him i was yes being sarcastic think about this i am a retired shipwright and i wish i could go sailing right now but instead i am doing a refit

Good answer

(Your profile shows two boats. Can you work on one and sail the other? Don't want to get out of practice. On the other hand, for some of us, working on the boat is more fun than sailing it.)
Old 19-12-2019, 15:29   #114
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Good answer

(Your profile shows two boats. Can you work on one and sail the other? Don't want to get out of practice. On the other hand, for some of us, working on the boat is more fun than sailing it.)
No i actually gave my islander away reciently to a fellow sailor that recently became homeless he is living and sailing all over the sound now . Im just happy to know its still being sailed and im not the one oaying the moorage on it.
Old 19-12-2019, 20:12   #115

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Wow that's huge. So getting a second Companion version you get more power at much less weight.

Any downside?
The downside that was being referred to in the previous posts were that the 2000/2200 dont have a Starter motor, where as the 3000 does.
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 20:15   #116
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Yes sorry I should have mentioned, if that's all, no problem for me
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 20:25   #117
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Well, sorry to disappoint You but when You look closer You will find out they talk always about the Honda 3000i which has a starter motor where You could use a remote control
Unfortunately the Honda 2200i does not have starter motor.
Of course the Mod 3000i with a weight of 131 Lbs is a lot more heavy then the Mod 2200i @ 47 Lbs.
I am sure You can imagine the consequences of the difference. Yeah different legue while the 2200i is sufficient for the application on the FP Maldive

]
https://www.frogproductsinc.com/electric-start-kit.html

Electric start kit for the 2000 and 2200

The link was in the pages of the other link I posted
Old 19-12-2019, 22:24   #118

Quote:

Well, Your definition of cruising is a little exotic but without being sarcastic

My very best and sincerely wishes for the year 2020
Letīs hope You finish that refit the sooner the better and 2020 will be a sweet year for You
Old 19-12-2019, 22:33   #119
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Well, Your definition of cruising is a little exotic but without being sarcastic

My very best and sincerely wishes for the year 2020
Letīs hope You finish that refit the sooner the better and 2020 will be a sweet year for You
I just hope to be able to sail more than sit at a dock this year. The boat is a prepetual work in progress .
My refit of the defender .
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...-a-187721.html

I still do sail just on op boats for now
Old 20-12-2019, 02:39   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post

Any downside?
Of course the Mod 3000i with a weight of 131 Lbs is a lot more heavy then the Mod 2200i @ 47 Lbs

Well, besides getting all the benefits of having AC on board there is another aspect that will favor the companion set up besides the advantages of more power for less weight that comes on the DC side. With a sufficient size Battery charger You can get 2 x 70-80 amps = 140-160 Amps. That is more then most set ups with high out put alternators and You donīt have to run the main engine . This is optimum efficiency. While using the gen for producing AC all the excess energy goes to charging the battery. No losses of conversion with the inverter. Not that the 3000i and other Gens could not do that as well but with the tandem configuration together with the econo mode there are 4 positions that I can adapt the rate of power produced. With 2 units I always have 1 that keeps me going,
As for the weight and size. Handling is just not that easy even with the wheels that are of little use on the boat anyway I could easy service the 2200I on the table in the saloon on a towel/cardboard and still have enough room for tools and move. With the heavier 3000 I would be afraid to scratch the table and for a starter getting it through the door and down the steep stairs is more of a project.... will better do it in the cockpit. Same goes for taking it home. Any fixing on the 3000i better in the garage then inside. 130 Lbs is not a handy piece of equipment

Any downside?
A downside for me is the GASOLINE and the issues related with use on boats but in case of the Honda 2200i I am willing to make this ONE EXCEPTION. For me itīs the best back up power in relation to power 4 fuel 4 size 4 weight 4 $$$$ and service friendly
And given the case on a FP Maldive with the weight considerations and an already Gasoline outboard engine that I canīt change the Honda 2200i is a genius. Any other of the shelf solution would not make much sense to me.

But now to a real down side and back to the topic of the thread !!

Riki asked. Any ideas about how I can add hot water ?

I interprete that as a desire to introduce some creature comfort on his boat because in this aspect the factory set up of the Maldives is a little short.

My approach was showing how to upgrade with easy of the shelf components and budget friendly steps how to upgrade to a modern cruising life comfort level that is usually only found on much bigger and much more expensive boats, with a minimum impact on performance due to weight and floor plan to extend the use and range on his boat and how with the same approach creating values that will consolidate the value of the boat.

Now some suggested using only the Honda Gen. That is exactly where Your question on the down side gets critical.
Taking the approach of budget friendly steps the current installation presumably has Lead Acid batteries which due to consideration of weight have a very limited capacity. So with higher demand, constant consumers/loads like water heating and induction cooking that will requiere the back up of the Honda. There is the voltage sagging and there is also very undesirable and damaging discharging of a LA battery below 50%. So that is where the Honda comes in to prevent that. Now due to the small battery size this will happen more often and thatīs where the down side of the Honda Gen shows a dark side. Every time this situation happens the Honda has to be hand cranked.
Now imagine...are You staring at the battery monitor while cooking ??

In general.... with crucial instruments for the boat, fridge and of course with my proposed water heater and induction cooking the ideal would be a set point in the battery monitor with a relay that gives a signal to the remote control to start the Honda to prevent voltage sagging and protecting the battery.....
BUT UNFORTUNATELY the Honda 2200i has NO ELECTRIC START.... Yeah what a PETTY

Well, the concept as whole can still be OnLine with the next logic step without too much negative effects on the weight.
Change of the LA batteries for Lithium to get longer and more comfortable cycle times.
Well, in my approach I was counting on this logic step once the owner of the boat starts to enjoy all the other features and advantages of this upgrade because till this point itīs really not a lot of money and also not really such a big project... just the Honda Gen, the water heater, the induction cooktop, a good battery monitor and of course the installation.

Now once getting to that point the next step also falls in place by logic. Lowering the run time of the Honda and adding good solar. Well, due to the characteristics of the boat, this will get more expensive and can get out of control. So for considerations of space the best is a combi inverter charger. For best results on limited space a best efficient panel is the prefered choice and installing it on the transom really can be a budget challenge.
But the important of this upgrade combination is ....from the first steps satisfaction guaranteed with little risk to success.

Of course now this new little Chinese combination surprize would come in handy because now he would also have a heater on board for the chilly nights in one easy to install and maintain combi solution.
But with the mentioned under the sink water heater and only a Chinese heater version the results would still be the same. No final conclusions yet.

Yeah, the damn electric starter for the Honda 2200i
Well last night again I watched this video again. .. Yeah almost 2 hours... took me 2 runs because I fell asleep... and I have to rectify..... NOT !!!!!! a decent instruction video. After watching still no clear idea whatīs required. Now I remember why I donīt have it in my favorite cooky jar.
However, this is not a hoax and it can be done as the man clearly demonstrates. This man is a genius when it comes to portable Honda. You listen close at the beginning of the video when he disassembles he knows every screw and washer. I believe he can take this Gen a part and put it back together with closed eyes.
Yeah, he likes tinkering but what happened ? His YT dates back to 2013
I believe some experts were insulting his intelligence and now he is really pi**ed off. I am not aware of anybody else who tried since then with this idea even so this is a very handy application

Here give it 5 minutes and get Your own opinion.

I would buy and go for it if there is a kit from this man but I donīt have time, tools, etc for such experiment with all the other things going on.

Of course now one could say the bigger 3000i version has electric start ?
Well, in case of the small and light FP Maldive weight and also balancing is a topic and every thing counts.
Also, the 3000i is a different galaxy. Comparing all the pros and cons I would definitely prefer any of the many small engine marine Diesel Gens on the market even so more $$$$
For my concepts of energy on board 1 unit Mod 2200i is more then plenty but I need set points and remote control aka electric starter or it will affect the selection of size for the house bank too much as can be observed very well in this case.
And in case I need more ? As You mentioned there is always the tandem option.

I could accept dealing with the Gasoline issues but the electric start is a real downer.
Other then that I can not think of any disadvantages right now that would be of my concern

For me the 2200i gen is a unique gem

Tags
water