Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2019, 06:37   #76
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Any ideas about how i can add hot water?

Science experiments probably deserve their own separate thread?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 07:13   #77

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by riki View Post
Well guys, thanx a lot for your time answering. Indeed a lot of good advice. Look like there are basically to viable options, propane (different opinions about this one, right?) and the black bags and similars. I live in Greece so really the bag could be a viable option, maybe even in winter......but not the "clean" solution that i like though.....but with the space i have and an outboard i think that a fancy hollywood shower will never be an option.
Yes, the sprayer looks not too bad.....will digg a bit on this one.
.....propane boiler......that flame outside the boat is the killer.....
The plastic bag solar shower can be purchased in a variety of sizes for less than $50. You put it on your deck, and assuming you have a hatch in your boat's head, run the shower head in through the hatch.

Many people on cruising boats of all sizes use these solar showers, some hang them from the boom and shower in the cockpit.

Personally we use a propane instant heater (in the head) to supply the whole boat's hot water needs, and yes we have pressure water, and we have no fear about propane, and have used this system for 33 years.

But for a smaller boat with limited water and no gas system, the solar shower is a good option I think.

https://www.westmarine.com/search?Ntt=solar+shower
Old 24-08-2019, 07:37   #78

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Propane on a boat is incredibly unsafe, reason is any leak at all will accumulate in the bilge and can explode. Therefore there are special modifications made to marine propane appliances like stoves that make them safe, these modifications aren’t made to water heaters etc.
That takes us to Solar which works very well as long as of course it’s not cold weather and there is sun.
Finally there is electric, it takes tremendous amounts of electricity to heat water, unless your on shore power it’s almost certain that you don’t have enough Solar to heat water and power the boat, especially in Winter with short solar hours.

That leaves the stove to heat water to shower, that is the easiest to implement, least expensive, and probably most reliable and sustainable, as well as inexpensive

A variation of that is of course a diesel powered water heater that can also heat the boat, but they are usually very expensive
Whether propane on a boat is "incredibly" unsafe is somewhat a matter of opinion. Propane devices, including instant water heaters, have thermocouples or better devices to stop the flow of gas if the flame is off, all boats using propane can and should have a shut off, usually a solenoid, to keep the gas out of the boat when not in use, we all have noses which are "incredibly" good at detecting even small amounts of propane gas, plus tanks are kept outside or in a locker where they can vent without danger.

So we have used propane for stove, instant hot water, and BBQ for 33 years and have not had any situations which concerned us. I cannot recall any time when we ever had a propane leak into the boat. Most cruisers I encounter have propane, and I know of only one propane explosion on a boat, and that was back on the 1990's, so actual accidents must be rare, I'd think.

It comes down to personal preference, in my opinion.

Fo the OP's boat, maybe it is not a viable option.

Here is the one we have now, available in Mexico, others, I am sure, are available elsewhere. https://www.elektra.com.mx/cinsa-cal...SABEgJF_PD_BwE
Old 13-12-2019, 19:22   #79

Boat: Morgan, OI, 33'

My Morgan OI has a shower/head and a Yanmar 3YM30. The engine has a 17mm bolt that screws into the engine's thermostat housing. I removed it & drilled a hole thru its center in order to thread a hose barb for hose to carry hot coolant to the hot water tank. (Yanmar wanted $100 for the "kit"!) There is also a 3/8" pipe plug just below the 17mm supply port in the same casting. A threaded hose barb fits in there as well. A heater hose goes from 17mm adapter to the tank & returns to the 3/8 fitting. 10 minutes of motoring provides 6 gal of hot water which stays hot for 6-8 hrs. The faucet spout at the head sink has a quick connect fitting to a hose with a hand (or wall) mounted shower head. I solved the issue of running the water tap to bring hot water to hand by filling a 2 quart container which is kept in the head for fresh water use. I also have a 5gal solar shower bag that lays out on the deck. When approaching an anchorage I slip the solar bag into an insulated bag to keep it very warm until after cocktails. Last summer was the first full time live aboard season. Very satisfied
Disailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2019, 15:35   #80

Boat: Summer Twins 25

The Friction system is a dead end - let’s leave that on Youtube where it belongs.
The propane water heater is great for water heating, I have one but have not decided if I will fit it yet.
The propane won’t heat the boat, as it stands.
The heating is mainly needed for being on the Anchor so the Engine heat is of no use - I already had a heater from the Engine and it’s of no real use, hope one day to rip it out.
I also brought a diesel Air heater - also not fitted yet as I haven’t decided on what I want to go with
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2019, 16:47   #81
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

My PDQ boat had a nice shower (Avitar). Hot water and everything. In the winter, often as not, I just bathed in the sink. It wasn't really that it used that much water; you just turned it off except when wetting or rinsing. I had a solar shower on a prior boat. Way too much trouble.

Seems like a lot of complication for not much gain on a small boat. Perhaps it's the camper in me.
Old 14-12-2019, 20:22   #82
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
My PDQ boat had a nice shower (Avitar). Hot water and everything.
How was the water heated?
Old 14-12-2019, 21:33   #83

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

5 basic ways:
1: water tank heated by the cooling water">engine cooling water.
2: Solar bag left on deck in the sun.
3: Propane on demand water heater
4: Electric tank or on demand water heater run off of batteries and inverter.
5: Electric tank or on demand water heater run off of generator
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2019, 21:42   #84
cruiser

Are you saying thinwater's PDQ had all that?
Old 14-12-2019, 21:46   #85

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

No answering the OP’s question.
Forgot #6: heat on the stove.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2019, 22:34   #86

Boat: Columbia 50

One thing left out of the mix is solar hot water collectors - just like a solar panel, but heats water. - basically, you trickle water through a series of tubes embedded in a black painted metal of copper.

I also believe you can do a combo Electric/hot water panel. Solar panels get HOT, and a layer of capillary tubes under the panel cools the panel while heating the cooling water..

In either case, you circulate the water through a well insulated holding tank.

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 08:40   #87

Boat: Summer Twins 25

1: water tank heated by the cooling water">engine cooling water.= Sailing boat, ( I have this for heating and it’s not worthwhile )
2: Solar bag left on deck in the sun.= Location to cold, when it’s warm enough weather ( I have one of these - not been useful so far )
3: Propane on demand water heater = Ideal for water not for heating ( I have one ready to look at how to install ) still not quite the answer
4: Electric tank or on demand water heater run off of batteries and inverter. = Electric heating from batteries? Not viable huge weight and where would the power come from - complete non starter
5: Electric tank or on demand water heater run off of generator - see point 4 with the addition of a generator that’s more weight and space.
6. Stove and sink = that’s what I have now and what my Dad suggested ( not an improvement on what I have )
7 Solar - iGreat in a country with 30C most of the time - Even better for a house - not for a small sailing boat.
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 08:56   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneesprit View Post
1: water tank heated by the cooling water">engine cooling water.= Sailing boat, ( I have this for heating and it’s not worthwhile )
2: Solar bag left on deck in the sun.= Location to cold, when it’s warm enough weather ( I have one of these - not been useful so far )
3: Propane on demand water heater = Ideal for water not for heating ( I have one ready to look at how to install ) still not quite the answer
4: Electric tank or on demand water heater run off of batteries and inverter. = Electric heating from batteries? Not viable huge weight and where would the power come from - complete non starter
5: Electric tank or on demand water heater run off of generator - see point 4 with the addition of a generator that’s more weight and space.
6. Stove and sink = that’s what I have now and what my Dad suggested ( not an improvement on what I have )
7 Solar - iGreat in a country with 30C most of the time - Even better for a house - not for a small sailing boat.
Check out those evacuated tube water heaters I mentioned. They are much more efficient then electric solar heating. That would also be a lot less weight. They are also much more efficient then regular copper tube absorbtion solar panels, much higher operating temp with less space They are also not that sensitive to the angle of the sun because they are round.
Only drawback... You need to run insulated high pressure hoses to the hot water tank.
Do some digging to get more info.
Old 15-12-2019, 09:30   #89

Boat: Morgan, OI, 33'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneesprit View Post
1: water tank heated by the cooling water">engine cooling water.= Sailing boat, (I have this for heating and it’s not worthwhile)

My first try was to tap into the water flow between the heat exch & the ex elbow - disapointing, useless really; barely lukewarm. Had to tap into coolant flow just before thermostat (where coolant is at about 180F). In the amount of time it takes to manuover to an anchoring spot (6-10Min?) I have 6 gal of hot water.

Great in a country with 30C most of the time - Even better for a house - not for a small sailing boat.

Disagree; has worked well on all the boats I've owned (16', 22', 23', 33')
The trick is after dropping sails to motor into an anchorage to slip the solar shower into an insulated bag to keep warm. Nice!
Disailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 12:45   #90

Boat: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior 90 View Post
Check out those evacuated tube water heaters I mentioned. They are much more efficient then electric solar heating. That would also be a lot less weight. They are also much more efficient then regular copper tube absorbtion solar panels, much higher operating temp with less space They are also not that sensitive to the angle of the sun because they are round.
Only drawback... You need to run insulated high pressure hoses to the hot water tank.
Do some digging to get more info.
I have mentioned the tube type solar heaters many times on this forum and they have been dismissed. They can heat water in low temps and on cloudy days. Of course their efficiency isn't as good. I'll be using them on my boat.

Tags
water