Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2016, 14:26   #31

Boat: Ohlson 29
Re: Re. Any training tips for a newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
However, it it not the children of the "middle class" that concern me - the children whose parents can afford the membership dues and the tuition fees. It is the children that get off to a really wobbly start because their parents can't afford to keep them in those sorts of activities.
Ah, I see. The non-commercial marina's often have free programs for the very young in little Optimist boats - but that requires mom and dad to at least have a (small) boat there themselves.

There's also camps for kids around 7 - 17 yrs old, where they'll spend a week on the water in an Optimist, Laser Bug or 16m2 or something. Those programs will cost around $450 or so - no other fees or memberships. But still a lot of money not every parent can afford, even if it is for a whole week ...
Old 26-02-2016, 14:44   #32

Boat: Ericson sloop 28.5

I am all in with the idea of chartering with a captain in the BVI for a week or 2...expensive , but you will have one of the best vacations EVER in your life, while getting an idea of what living aboard is like and some sailing experience too. Also, the best way for you to get your wife "on board"...the bad news is unless you stay there, sailing anywhere else will not be nearly the same. You are welcome to visit my wife and me in St Pete Fl and we will take you sailing and teach you a thing or 2.
Infatuation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 12:49   #33

Boat: Swanson

Quite simple, hire 30 footer with skipper, pick 20 knots wind day...
take whole family Out.
That's was the last time my family step on board.
Last 20 years I am sailing alone or with friends .
Tikka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 13:10   #34

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Well, welcome to the club here, but I am a little confused. You haven't responded yet, but you say you have decided to live on a boat. You do ask about sailing so I guess it is a sailboat. But my first thought was, if it were me and my wife and a young daughter, I'd look into a canal barge and chug around the English countryside! I mean seriously I would; I think that looks like a lot of fun, and I think kids would love it too. Living aboard a sailboat is not difficult if it is large enough. Living on a boat that is always ready to go sailing is another thing. And living on a sailboat that is also cruising is another thing too. It really helps if everyone on the boat would enjoy doing it (sailing and living on a boat) on their own, even if you weren't already in the same family to begin with. So is it safe to assume you are asking about a fairly large, comfortable and safe cruising SAILboat?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 17:46   #35

@Lizzy, #31

Well, since I got on a rant about the perfidiousness of the way modern society fails to offer challenges to kids, and since you'd been messing with Baudelaire, I thot that if you can take liberties with him, so can I ;-).

Translating poetry is always particularly difficult, and tho my beloved adopted land is officially bilingual English/French, my facility with French is rather limited. Nevertheless I "adapted" Enivrez-vous as follows - just for you ;-0)!

Cheer up!

Stay cheerful. That is the thing – the only thing that matters.
To slough off the dreaded burden of Time, Time that weighs you down and crushes you, cheer yourself!
But with what? Wine? Poetry? The beatitudes? Take you choice, but cheer yourself.
If sometimes ashore, whether in a palace, in the streets, or in the dreary solitude of a rented room, you wake up and feel weary,
then ask the wind, the waves, the stars, the birds, the clock, all that flies, all that speaks, all that moves, all that sings — ask them: “What time is it?”
and the wind, the wave, the star, the bird and the clock will all sing out:
“It's time to go sailing”
To escape the fate of the tormented slaves of Time — go sailing.
Sail always! Sail forevermore!
Cheers!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 08:28   #36

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Nevertheless I "adapted" Enivrez-vous as follows - just for you ;-0)!

I like your adaptation!
Old 28-02-2016, 14:39   #37

Boat: Niagara 35

Welcome to CF! I think that you have a wonderful plan, and you aren't far from some really great sailing in Ottawa.

As others have said, you need to just get out sailing as soon as possible. Given the water is currently solid where you are, you have some time to do some reading or online courses first, though (I'm a book learner, so I always prefer to read before I do, but not all are the same).

Here are some thoughts on different ways to learn to sail with resources.

And since you have a kid in tow, as we do, here's an article on sailing with kids. You should also check out the kids4sail facebook group and buy yourself a copy of Voyaging with Kids (totally amazing, inspiring book that came out just a few months ago).
Old 28-02-2016, 15:02   #38

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Here are a few threads which might help a bit:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ce-161938.html
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-161019.html
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1851842

They cover some of the realities of living aboard, how women learn differently than men (especially sailing), & some of the ways to learn to sail On The Cheap.

Also, if you're serious about doing this, it helps to do it in steps;
- Sell everything & anything which you haven't used in 6mos or 1yr
- Move into a tiny apartment, 2br max (a studio is better), & replace ALL of the doors with curtains
- When you move onboard; 1st live at a marina, with a dock box, & have a storage unit.
Then wean yourself off of the storage unit. And become more & more of "your own island" in progressive steps.

And most of the rest of the bits are covered in the links.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 15:53   #39

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Here in the Netherlands, there are sailing schools with programs like that all over the place. Granted, we have lots of water too

But I'd have thought sailing schools with programs like that for kids / young adults would be common in the the US / Canada as well? As in, most sailing schools will have programs for them?
Lizzy is right...I think every yacht club has a junior program/sailing school. But those programs are mostly day camp with an emphasis on racing.

The brigantine program is roughly a week living on a tall ship. The emphasis is on adventure and teamwork. Amazing how life long friendships can form in just a few days in that sort of environment.

As we all know, there is a lot more to sailing than just knowing which rope to pull.

In all fairness, Toronto Brigantine (TBI) offers a similar program out of Toronto using the sister (tall) ships STV Pathfinder and TS Playfair.
Toronto Brigantine Inc.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 16:07   #40

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
Welcome to CF! I think that you have a wonderful plan, and you aren't far from some really great sailing in Ottawa.
Quite right...the best sailing in Ottawa is located 2 hours south, in Kingston.

And as for winter's "hard water"...thats not a problem either: https://youtu.be/PxsEOoCZ_2s
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 16:26   #41

And here on the wet coast we have S.A.L.T. (Sailing and Life Training) Society

SALTS Sail and Life Training Society - Home

taking youngsters for cruises in the vessels you'll see by clicking on "Our Tall Ships" in the flag.

SALT used to operate Robertson II, a Grand Banks schooner carrying, I think, 60 students at a time. She came to the end of her life as a result of grounding on Winter Reef(?) near Saturna Island maybe ten years ago.

Robertson II - 1940 Grand Banks Schooner Tall Ship

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 16:30   #42

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

I second Hamburking's comment. In the early 90's when Toronto Bringatine's Playfair was out of service we took all their kids that had reserved bunks for a voyage around the Great Lakes on our sail training vessel Unicorn. It was a great experience for our four kids who were delighted to have such a great addition to our crew.

These programs, including Sisters Under Sail are great opportunities for young people to learn not just sail handling but navigation, seamanship, maintenance, and most important how to have a great time on the water and beach.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 20:38   #43

Boat: wooden 5 mast, Ship in a bottle, 16 cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
I read "Annapolis Book of Seamanship". I had only been a passenger on a sailboat and wanted to know more. I worked midnights at the time and had many slow hours. I read it and if I didn't get it, I read it again. When I finally found someone to take me out on the water I was surprised at how much had "sunk in".
Thanks for the recommendation. Looking forward spending my weekends with this.

Great tread - thanks guys ! 👌☺

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 07-03-2016, 20:53   #44

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Participate in local day-sail races.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:21   #45

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Re: Annapolis Book of Seamanship. I was studying this back in the 80's and the book was borrowed so I assume it was a 70's or earlier edition. I was reading about kedging off and I can still quote what I read.

"Have your wife swim the anchor to a point off the stern".

I read it again. It said the same thing. Flabbergasted. Still am.

PS I have looked at later editions and they've changed that sentence. I am never getting rid of my edition.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote