Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2015, 13:05   #1

Occupancy of Boats

Hey I was wondering how many people can comfortably live in a 25ft sail boat for weeks, maybe a catalina model, also how many for 30 ft?
versace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 13:10   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50
Re: Occupancy of Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by versace View Post
Hey I was wondering how many people can comfortably live in a 25ft sail boat for weeks, maybe a catalina model, also how many for 30 ft?
I lived on a Cal 2-29 for 4 years. Quite comfy for a 20 something guy.
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 13:18   #3

Me and my crew might be 2 or 3 in total, would 29 ft suffice for us as well? Im 6 1 160 lbs, friend is 5 8 130 lbs and other friend is 6 ft 150 lbs
Old 19-06-2015, 13:23   #4

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

I know of 2 couples that shared a 26' or 27' boat for long term cruising, I think it was a Vega but am not sure.

Functionally I would say that you can comfortably carry as many people as you have good berths for in the main cabin. Good would be settees (longitudinal benches for the galley table), very good would be quarter berths and excellent would be pilot berths. Inadequate would be dinette berth (transverse benches). There at her practical considerations such as storage space, intended cruising area and tankage.

Beyond functional issues are the psychological which are very dependent on the specific people involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 13:27   #5

I'm looking online and 25ft boats are about 7-11k but 30ft boats jump to 30k, why the huge jump?
Old 19-06-2015, 13:32   #6

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España

Where are you? What constraints are you putting on you boat choice other than needs to carry 3 and you have about $10k to spend? Are you limiting the age of the boat or what makers you will consider?

In North America I can think of about 10 models near 30' long going for about $10k.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 19-06-2015, 13:38   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Cruising on a small boat with others can be a lot of fun.

Conversely, being on a long non-stop voyage (such as a long passage that takes many days) can be tiresome, challenging, and possibly "torture" if one is with others one does not like, love, or enjoy.

Tolerance and respect for others is important in small spaces.

You don't have to answer the following questions here, they are listed for rhetorical (to make a point) reasons.

I think it is important to answer a few questions that factor into deciding how big of a boat is suitable and how long you might enjoy the time together.

1. Do you like or love each other and know each other well (not strangers) and intimately?

2. Will the boat be in a slip in a marina the whole time? Connected to shore power? Access to shore facilities for shower and toilets? Eating out?

3. Will the boat be sailing somewhere? Where?

4. Can you live with others and their body odors and sounds and habits close to you (snoring, farting, smoking, drinking, music, using toilet)?

5. Will you have some way to get some "personal space" such as going ashore or staying out (work) and just using the boat for sleeping? Or will you be in the boat with them the entire time 24/7 as on a passage?

6. Is everyone used to living in small spaces? Or does anyone "hate" confinement or small or tight spaces (such as a quarter berth)?
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 13:39   #8

I'm in Orlando florida.
No constraints other than 3 people and their travel gear without being cramped, but a guy I know who has been reading up on sailing a lot through these forums keeps mentioning catalina so I looked up catalina 25/30 in this scenario.
No limit on any of that stuff, but I would prefer not to do much repairing which is customary of older boats.
Old 19-06-2015, 13:43   #9

We are pretty rough and rugged and can get along with each other pretty well. We want to leave Miami Florida and go around bahamas to puerto rico and back maybe 2-3 months long trip with all the stopping at locations to explore. We would like to be in open sea and forgive this question because I am still very ignorant about certain things but don't all sail boats have showers and toilets on board?
Old 19-06-2015, 13:52   #10

Occupancy of Boats

Any boat anywhere near your price range is going to need some work.

An older boat will be laid out better for extended cruising with 3 or even 4 people. Newer boats were designed more for day sailing and inshore cruising where most or all nights are spent at anchor or in a marina.

What's your budget to buy and outfit?
Old 19-06-2015, 13:55   #11

So your saying an older boat is better for our purposes? And we can spend 12k in all
Old 19-06-2015, 13:59   #12
Marine Service Provider

catalina Boats For Sale

try searching....
Old 19-06-2015, 14:02   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by evm1024 View Post
catalina Boats For Sale

try searching....
All them are 25-28k, I don't have enough
Old 19-06-2015, 14:11   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
All them are 25-28k, I don't have enough
Its a tool. There is at least one at 10k but out of your area. You can specify other boats and areas etc.

Remember that free boats are the most expensive. Cheap boats are just a little less expensive and expensive boats often become the least expensive. (Oh you wanted a Working engine?)
Old 19-06-2015, 14:18   #15
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi.

Given your limited budget, and what might be limited experience on boats, AND your ability to live "rough," I have a new and different suggestion:

Offer to pay a boat owner (private, individual, not a charter company) $10,000 (in stages) to take you around the circuit on THEIR boat for the length of time, with a $1,000 bonus if the trip is especially pleasant, and add $1,000 for the food/beverages.

There are probably some single owners in the Florida area who might enjoy the company/crew (and the money) and would enjoy being the captain, with a larger boat making it more comfortable for you all.

However, there are some legal issues related to "chartering" and you should check into that, and of course look for a reputable and experienced captain/owner.

That said, it appears that a lot of boat owners do look for "paying" or "expenses shared" crew. Given that, if you have the right budget (and attitude) I would think you might find a very special opportunity that would be much nicer than roughing it on a small, possibly not seaworthy, boat.

Good luck on you travels.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote