Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2016, 20:03   #1

Boat: Sovereign Adventure 23
Is someone interested in teaching me to sail?

Hello all,

I recently bought a seaworthy 1985 Sovereign 23 Adventure. I've had it out already a few times playing with the sails. Previous owner took me out last week for an afternoon out in the gulf. I've been spending time cleaning and repairing little things. I had the motor gone through with new lower end rebuild, throttle cables, prop, gear oil. One of the headsails is at Doyle getting a grommet repaired. New Harken traveler car, new protectors on the lanyards etc etc etc.
In other words, it's not junk. Im taking her to the yard for bottom paint etc around March.

Unfortunately I have a work schedule that is 12 to 14 hour nights with rotating days off each week. So trying to get with a school etc where it would be weekly etc makes it a tough challenge.

I was hoping to find someone who would say belong to a club but does not own a boat and would love an opportunity to sail my boat and teach me in the process. I will try the local youth yacht club next time Im there.

I am in the St Petersburg Florida area. If anyone knows of a college student or youth that would like a chance to teach and have some use of the boat, please send me a message.

Thanks
Sovereign85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 21:24   #2

Boat: Tartan 3000
Re: Is someone interested in teaching me to sail?

Buy The Annapolis Book of Seamanship and give it a go. Pick up a teacher when available. You can do it!!
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 23:29   #3
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Yeah, you can learn the basics on your own.
Been there, done that: My first boat was a 44' Yawl. Never sailed before, neither had the wife. The broker took us out on a sea trial and then we were on our own.
The boat had 12 sails, we started with the small sails, then slowly got into the good stuff.
The important thing is to get a chart, find out where the reefs are, then stay away from the reefs.
Good luck.
Old 25-02-2016, 08:40   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Walk into a yacht club, any yacht club, and ask the bartender who the 21 year olds are that like to race. Then ask them how much they would charge for private lessons on your schedule. Figure it will run $20-$50/lesson depending on beer.

I made a decent amount of money when I was in college doing this, and can think of 3-4 guys locally who would jump at the chance.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 09:13   #5
Marine Service Provider

I almost hesitate to ask the question, but why not hire a professional or a full-time sailing school? I think I know the answer, but then again you have a 30 year-old boat and it's only 23'. But why do you need to go online to get advice to check at a marina or yacht club or sailing school? If you needed driving lessons what would you do? Flying lessons? Motorcycle lessons? If schools are difficult for your schedule, how will you find time to enjoy the boat? Most school will put an instructor on your boat at your schedule. Contact the American Sailing Association or US Sailing. Hire a pro! Be safe and be careful.
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 02:58   #6

Hi,
Nowadays Boating license is very important to drive a boat safely. If you take
a driver's certificate, you will learn the basics of navigation, which allows you to be more confident and have more freedom as a driver. There are many sites which provides marine courses and also provides boating license. While surfing on internet I am going through site which provides driver's certificate course. To get more information visit the link it may help you,
Förarintyg - Navigationsgruppen
Anna09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 15:20   #7

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Annapolis View Post
I almost hesitate to ask the question, but why not hire a professional or a full-time sailing school? I think I know the answer, but then again you have a 30 year-old boat and it's only 23'. But why do you need to go online to get advice to check at a marina or yacht club or sailing school? If you needed driving lessons what would you do? Flying lessons? Motorcycle lessons? If schools are difficult for your schedule, how will you find time to enjoy the boat? Most school will put an instructor on your boat at your schedule. Contact the American Sailing Association or US Sailing. Hire a pro! Be safe and be careful.
Almost all sailing instructors are independent contractors to the schools so could tutor you as fits your schedule. Call a few local schools and see if they can work something out for you or maybe just put you in contact with a few local instructors.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail