Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2010, 04:53   #46

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Obesity is very, very simple. For every 3500 calories that you take in more than what you burn, you gain one pound. If you burn 3500 calories more than you eat, you lose one pound.
all this stuff about this disease making someone fat, or their genes...is rubbish. The body cannot manufacture a pound of fat without the ingredients coming in through the mouth. Excuses. Weakness. lack of will power. Refusing to take control. Thats what causes fat people to be fat. Pure and simple.
While this is true in some circumstances, it is not true in others. Anybody who is or has suffered from Irritable bowel diesease knows only too well that your weight gain/loss is just as much to do with the IBS as anything else.

if I am not well, the system rushes food through the system and does not allow enough time for the goodness of the food to be extracted. Thus you can eat what you want, but still lose weight - at my worst I lost 20lbs in a month whilst eating what would in other circumstances have added 20lb to my waistline.

Yes I have extra weight at the oment, but part of that is a reaction to what has happened in the past, part is a desire to have surplus available for next time I take a downswing, and part is due to not yet having adjusted to the quantity needed to merely maintain status quo.

With this experience I would be VERY hesitant to blame all overweight people for not having sufficient wont power to be a normal weight.
Old 24-02-2010, 05:01   #47

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
My step dad was/is a fatman. Thats what we kids call him now. His obesity had an effect on all our lives growing up whether it was us being taunted in school, meal times ruined by his 'centre of attention' attitude to the whole meal experience and even to little things like when we were out in the 20' dink fishing, he would sit to one side of the tiller and we had to bunch up on the opposite side in the forepeak.
Why have a 4 seat aircraft when you can at best only carry 2 people with him P1, plus full fuel plus 1 passenger?

He weighed over 300 lbs back then and was constantly on some diet or another. He always complained about being fat but always used it in a celebratory way to get attention wherever he went. At one time, following emergency surgery for a burst appendix, he lost 150 lbs and was the most miserable cantankerous nasty git, and he soon went back to being fatter.
Now he lives in a French village where he can spend all day indulging with a posse of local women who feed and look after him. When he came back to UK last summer, Mum said all he did was talk about food, plan the next meal and raid the fridge.

For him its a mental and physical disease. One fuels the other in a vicious circle, but for many its sheer lack of willpower and idleness. No excuses saying you dont know some food is fattening, just like saying you didnt know tabbaco causes cancer.

I got fat over this winter, I put on 7 lbs since I stopped rowing every day and running up and down ladders. 2 weeks ago, I halved my intake and have done a 6-8 mile hill walk with a 40lb pack. Its damned hard work, but its what you have to do. Now im back to target weight.
No good bitching about being fat if all you do is stuff your face and sit about all day.
Old 24-02-2010, 05:54   #48
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Good for you, Anjou. I have gone from 260 lbs to 220 lbs, and I have heard all the excuses why people are fat. Its always the fault of something else, or their own body, etc.

*********. Those calories get into the body one way, and one way only. Down the throat. And there are only so many calories in a piece of bacon, no matter how long your system decides to keep it.
Old 24-02-2010, 06:11   #49
Armchair Bucketeer

I guess size of crew also impacts on size of holding tank...........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 06:14   #50

In my daughters case, she's 5'3" and 180 lbs, so she is certainly overweight in anyone's book, but she's also a hockey player and, I'm certain, in better cardiovascular shape than the rail thin girls who throw barbs her way.

Anjou,

I would appreciate it if you could give me the name of that French village where your stepdad is hanging out - I'm currently in the middle of making vacation plans and I feel a change in my itinerary coming on!
slowshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 06:34   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Back to the original question:

and the answer is:

Flood one hull, float them off and tow them to the beach.

[I am not slender]
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 06:36   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Breeches buoy comes to mind. We used to do this in Sea Scouts.

Breeches buoy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 06:53   #53

The foldaway stainless ladder from Mystic stainless is also a great ladder for getting aboard from the water or dink. You have to have a genoa track on the toerail for it to work though, and be prepared for sticker shock. I've had one since 1989 and it works great.
Old 24-02-2010, 07:08   #54
Armchair Bucketeer

I recall having a conversation with a good mate (somewhat large - and then some ) about this, the upshot was that if he falls in (my boat or his) then I probably wouldn't be able to get him back onboard.........and would probably be lucky to get him into an inflatable dinghy if he couldn't assist.

Of course I could probably install a crane and some heavy lifting gear - but he knows the score before he gets onboard.

In practice with a "Larger" sized crew member I would be more concerned about them / the boat / me! in bad weather - that's a lot of mass to be propelled unexpectedly accross Cockpit / Saloon........of course vice verce good to land on
Old 24-02-2010, 07:39   #55
One of Those

Plus, in a real emergency, they float! You can stick a boat hook somewhere and improvise a sail...

And if it really gets bleak, and one of the crew has to be sacrificed to feed the rest....

well, it makes sense to get the most provisions for the effort...
Old 24-02-2010, 08:01   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Lightbulb

Quote:
don't you get weary of people blaming their personal problems on the rest of the world?

Obesity is very, very simple. For every 3500 calories that you take in more than what you burn, you gain one pound. If you burn 3500 calories more than you eat, you lose one pound.

all this stuff about this disease making someone fat, or their genes...is rubbish.
Well, I don't have the level of expertise that you clearly possess so I checked the Centre for Disease Control. Apparently their is a mistaken belief out there that Bardet-Biedl syndrome and Prader-Willi syndrome, Cushing's disease, and polycystic ovary syndrome as well as drugs such as steroids and some antidepressants may also cause weight gain.
hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 08:21   #57
One of Those

and these diseases force people to eat more calories a day than they burn, huh?

Or Willie-Stuff-the-face syndrome.

Or some new way to define fat. Go look at a crowd of average Americans in a WalMart. You telling me they are ALL diseased? Gimme a break. I struggle with weight, too. But I don't blame it on some syndrome.

Its like people saying they "can't" quit smoking. Hey, simply do not pick up that cigarette, put it in your mouth, and light it. Keep doing that. voila, you quit smoking.

Now....see that Twinkie?

Its real simple math. Or do these diseases manufacture fat from air and water?

Hey, if someone is happy being fat, that's great. People should be happy. Live with the consequences. Quit whining about who's fault it really is that you're fat. Just be fat and be happy being fat.

I am talking about the fat people who are NOT happy, yet keep looking for something else to blame it on. Not water bloat, that's different. We all know about water bloat.

If you are making excuses for being fat, you really don't want to not be fat. Or you wouldn't be fat.
Old 24-02-2010, 08:25   #58

Quote:
And if it really gets bleak, and one of the crew has to be sacrificed to feed the rest....

well, it makes sense to get the most provisions for the effort...
.....and at 220, you just might be the main course.
Old 24-02-2010, 08:29   #59
One of Those

I dunno....I guess I am willing to bet that at six ft. two, 220..I might not be.
Old 24-02-2010, 08:35   #60
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
I dunno....I guess I am willing to bet that at six ft. two, 220..I might not be.
Don't be so sure on that - us Skinny fellas can be quite sneaky

"It's not the size of ya Chopper, it's wot yer do with it that counts" - Abraham Lincoln