Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2021, 08:48   #76

Boat: Vivacity 20
Re: Ever seen a UFO?

Not while sailing, but when driving with my family the highway from Venice to Milano in 2013, I saw to my port side a group of about five very bright lights, flying in east-west direction. Amazingly fast, clearly not planes of any kind, with a blueish-purple intense glow. I thought it could be some hallucination after driving for long hours, but my son was in the left seat and when I asked him to look at those things he also saw them.
I'm quite skeptical generally speaking, but I'm still puzzled by that sighting.
Bertie68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:14   #77

Boat: 35' sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
So I was reflecting on the recent 60 Minutes show that had a segment about UFOs and one that is purported to have appeared near here off the coast of San Diego, causing the sea to become turbulent and then submerging as well. Count me as a skeptic, but, I am curious if anyone else has seen bus-sized "tic-tac" shaped things jetting around and diving into the sea? Or any other oddities that defy description?
Yes, I have. Also heard some odd and very loud noise when I was living in the N.W.
Do I know whast it was? Nope. But anytingas large as bigfoot would be playing in the NBA or the NFL.
And just because we don't know, doesn't mean some other race doesn't. Alien or otherwise. And what's so odd about an alien race/species coming here?
Hell, NASA's trying to get THERE aren't they?
Tonali99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:43   #78
AJA

Boat: Irwin 37' CCKetch (1974)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
If it's thousands of feet in the air.. its flying..
I have seen triangular light formations in the sky performing impossible manoeuvres like hovering then moving left or right to a new position miles away instantaneously.. passing Cabo Finisterre a huge rugby ball shaped object passed overhead glowing a luminous green travelling E to W..
In the Atlantic I've seen stationary white lights in the sky that then shot downwards toward the ocean and dissappeared..
Dunno what they were, so to me they are UFO's... just because science cannot explain something does not mean it cannot exist.. it is impossible for 'long extinct' species to exist according to science, yet occasionally they appear to prove science wrong.
There is still much to learn about our own world and to my mind judging everything by one's own limitations is not looking beyond the horizon.

https://www.newsweek.com/extinct-fos...gascar-1591688
Well said.
AJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:52   #79

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
UFO's are about as elusive as the Loch Ness monster.....only ever seen from a distance....always blurry...
I wanna see a real life alien walk out of a spacecraft....in my own backyard....then I'll be a believer...

Or at the very least, honest attempts at communication. With all the ham operators out there and SETI and amateur radio-astronomers, it wouldn't be difficult to hear. All we need are noise bursts of prime numbers - or something similar - and that would real proof. They can fly light years through space to get here, but can't even attempt to communicate ? Really ?

I am a huge sci-fi addict, but I firmly subscribe to Fermi's Paradox.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:17   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManMirage View Post

Or at the very least, honest attempts at communication. With all the ham operators out there and SETI and amateur radio-astronomers, it wouldn't be difficult to hear. All we need are noise bursts of prime numbers - or something similar - and that would real proof. They can fly light years through space to get here, but can't even attempt to communicate ? Really ?

I am a huge sci-fi addict, but I firmly subscribe to Fermi's Paradox.
They could simply be following the Prime Directive...

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:40   #81

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Nothing to dramatic like rapid direction changes. A cigar shape light appeared out of know where and disappeared, in an instant, after streaking across a star lit sky.
Circa 1957. Makes one wonder about worm holes? Enough to raise the hair up on the nape of your neck.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 13:23   #82

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro View Post
With the advent of modern cameras, cell Phones, go pros, drones etc.... those grainy images shouldn’t be an issue present day.

UFO sightings seemed to have dropped significantly as well as other “unknowns”. Lockness, Bigfoot etc.

Quite the coincidence they just vanaished or stopped being reported after the mid/late 90s when all this tech started appearing.
Cell phones take bad pics.
That's why professionals use 5000$ cameras and lenses.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 13:34   #83

Boat: Irwin. 28 ft
Send a message via AIM to pdjb

Yes I have seen them off of my boat in newbern n,c. Track them with a pair of high powered binoculars during the day around 3pm in the afternoon, then one came back and hovering ,then left,also I witnessed one at new Mexico over a house at 12am in the morning, smoking a cigarette, very interesting, wish I could go on one,
pdjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 15:34   #84

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Any submariners among us? This report of things diving into the sea makes me wonder if they have been seen and/or tracked underwater?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 16:11   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
Cell phones take bad pics.
That's why professionals use 5000$ cameras and lenses.
Yep, next time you see a plane in the air try filming with your phone. Then Try it at night. Even with real gear, not that easy to shoot flying things. Alien or otherwise.
Russian007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 16:13   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdjb View Post
o I witnessed one at new Mexico over a house at 12am in the morning, smoking a cigarette, very interesting, wish I could go on one,
With all due respect, you have no credibility sir. The prospect of a UFO smoking a cigarette is implausible and defies the laws of physics.
Russian007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 16:19   #87

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Any submariners among us? This report of things diving into the sea makes me wonder if they have been seen and/or tracked underwater?
I think they are affectionately called squids.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 17:07   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I think they are affectionately called squids.
Bubbleheads.

The Navy’s undersea acoustic arrays likely heard it—if it made a noise. But that system is still very highly classified.
C420sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 17:27   #89
AJA

Boat: Irwin 37' CCKetch (1974)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
Scientific evidence based on laws of Known Physics.
There are physics, as we are learning, that we have yet to realize.

https://www.google.com/search?q=quan...&client=safari

Just because one does not know how some perceived occurances happened, doesn't make it less real.
If you've ever witnessed something very out of the ordinary, especially, objects close enough to clearly define.
You might think a bit differently.
It's not enough to just say things don't exist because you have not experienced it yourself.
IMHO
SV Cloud Duster
Truth.
AJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 18:19   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian007 View Post
Yep, next time you see a plane in the air try filming with your phone. Then Try it at night. Even with real gear, not that easy to shoot flying things. Alien or otherwise.

Indeed. Most people are surprised when they try to take a picture of the Moon for example. The expectation is something like what you see when you image search "the Moon". The reality is usually more like a sea of black with a small white dot that has no discernible features whatsoever.

The technology is getting better. My current phone (Samsung Galaxy S20 FE) has up to 30x digital zoom and impressive image stabilization. But even that is not enough.

I took the image below with my old phone (Samsung Galaxy J7). I can't remember how much zoom it had, but it doesn't matter because I had it hooked up to an actual telescope. IIRC, this is at something like 80x magnification. And although the Moon moves relatively quickly across the sky for a celestial body, it's not zipping around like UFOs sometimes seem to.

If you've ever used a telescope at even moderately high magnification, you know how difficult it can be to line up on even a very slow moving and bright object, like Jupiter.

SeanPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote