Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2014, 12:42   #1

Circumnavigation

I want to complete a solo circumnavigation in the upcoming years. The trouble is, Im 14. No one will take me seriously. But I'm serious and am currently planning and raising cash. I am looking at a Seidelmann 37, is that a good boat to sail? Can you single-hand this boat? Also, I still don't know what kind of autopilot to purchase for a boat with 16,500 of displacement. Maybe a wind vane? And what kind of electronics do I need besides a chart plotter, electric autopilot, and radar?

Thanks
Lukeweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2014, 12:59   #2

Re: Circumnavigation

Finish school, get a degree and then plan the trip of a lifetime.
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2014, 13:04   #3

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

What kind of sailing experience do you currently have?
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2014, 14:35   #4

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

Welcome to CruisersForum, Lukeweiser
As Greenhand wrote, you need some previous sailing experience to increase your chances of circumnavigating safely. You should not leave before being able to answer your questions by yourself.

A degree isn't absolutely necessary but you will need some professional ability to earn a living: boats are costly (don't ask how I know).

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2014, 14:52   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Don't feed the trolls.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2014, 15:10   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

I think you are on the right track. I know this because you ask questions. This is how you will gather the information you will need to make good decisions. Good decisions will help you making the right choices.

14 is definitely not too early to start getting ready. I started sailing when I was 4, I was ready to go when I was 34. But you may be able to set off sooner, if you keep on learning and never let go.

Do not worry about 'which boat'. It is not about the boat, it is about the person who sails it.

If you want any advice from another dreamer: go into dinghy sailing / racing(if possible where you live) NOW. Learn all you can about handling a small sailing boat in all and any conditions while keeping on reading, watching and asking questions.

Life is your playfield. Live it!

PS Before you sail away, try to get yourself the kind of education that will allow you to enter a university (to enter a uni either before or after your escapade). It is difficult to achieve this once we are grown up. Would be stupid to lose this opportunity while chasing the other one(s).

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2014, 16:32   #7

I have been sailing since I was 6. I feel I could use a crash-course on storm sailing, but otherwise, I think I'm ready for this kind of thing. I intend on going for the record.
Lukeweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2014, 16:59   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeweiser View Post
I have been sailing since I was 6. I feel I could use a crash-course on storm sailing, but otherwise, I think I'm ready for this kind of thing. I intend on going for the record.
Welcome aboard Luke, if in fact you are real. Sorry for my skepticism but...

In your first post you ask about what kind of gear you need. In your second post you say you are ready. By definition if you ask the basic questions in post 1 you are not ready.

For a young person to solo circumnavigate you need a huge support staff and lots of money and donations.

Google, Abby Sunderland, Laura Dekker and Jessica Watson for a start. Read their blogs (and watch their movies) and come back.

Unless you are a very special kid and can rally a team together in the next 6 months I think you should lower your sights. Anyway solo circumnavigation at 15 is not as much fun as it sounds.

Build your life to include a life of boating and you will be much happier.

Where's MarkJ when you need him. He loves kids going after records...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2014, 18:27   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeweiser View Post
What amount of ocean sailing under your belt?

If you want a record, you will want prior extensive (possibly extensive) experience.

Without sufficient sea miles, you chances of doing it are lower.

Get sea miles. As many as you can. Find someone and cross with them.

If I were to trade I would bet on:
- experience,
- skills,
- knowledge,
- luck.

In this order.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2014, 18:47   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Luke Weiser is a fly fishing rod maker (Luke Weiser - Custom Fly Fishing Bamboo Rods - Handmade fly fishing rods made from the finest bamboo in the world).

Looks like the OP as got a few bites
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2014, 18:54   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

<sigh> Skepticism confirmed...

Is Luke the brother of Bud, the beer guy?

(Actually it's sort of a weak troll - Post 1 and post 2 were completely different, didn't feel like a 14 y/o. Fell out of character in 2 posts)

Let's see if he tries a post 3 to convince us he's a 14 y/o, sailing since 6 that doesn't know what chart plotter to buy out of his paper route money.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2014, 19:04   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

I am curious about which record. No one recognizes or will oversee a 'youngest' record anymore.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2014, 19:09   #13
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

You don't need sailing experience. You need sex appeal to get media coverage and that will give you sponsorship.

In these politically correct times I am not allowed to ask if Luke is a boys name or a girls name. Hopefully you are a girl and not bad looking even though you are under the age of consent... the media is fine with that. Your parents will be in on it as well when they find out how much they will make selling your body. Or photos of it anyway.

If you are a boy that doesnt preclude you as the Pink press makes heaps these days. Unless you are ugly, of course. Then it doesnt matter if you are male or female, experienced or not, ugly gets you no where in media and fund raising.

I am ugly.

I had to buy my own boat.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2014, 20:24   #14

Boat: Valiant 40

Just to answer your questions directly, yes in my opinion you definitely need a wind vane. Not only is it a power saving convenience, it's a safety item. It will sail your boat in conditions that might exhaust you were you at the helm, and many models can be outfitted with emergency rudders as an option.

That boat is sturdier than many give it credit for, despite it's relatively low displacement. It *can* do the trip if properly prepared, modified, and updated. Not sure that you'll set any speed records however, compared to others who have done this trip. That said, I'm not familiar at all with the records for these sorts of ventures.

You'll need AIS and SSB as well as those things you've listed as far as electronics installs on your boat. An installed spot tracker would also be a good idea. But please don't think the list is comprehensive.

In my opinion if you're going to attempt this, you should completely gut and rewire the boat from end to end and top to bottom, and do it yourself with supervision to ensure its done properly and that you're familiar with every inch of the system. The same could be said for every other system on the boat as well.

I, as well as everyone here could go on and on and on with advice, but you asked some discreet questions so I'll shut up now.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2014, 20:39   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Sure, use the boat.

I mean, capsize ratio is below recommended for off shore boats, but what the hey, pick your weather window, what could go wrong? Make sure you check the rudder posts, they are a known weakness.

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation