Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2014, 20:57   #16

Boat: csy 37
Re: Circumnavigation

You'll shoot your eye out.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2014, 23:17   #17

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
You'll shoot your eye out.
I LOLed. Which is saying a lot, since I can't stand the movie.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2014, 00:05   #18

Hey Luke,
Don't listen to the naysayers, you can do it and you an do it now. It's never too soon t start having a life mate. Any help you need, I stand ready John
Fantazia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2014, 01:30   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
You don't need sailing experience. You need sex appeal to get media coverage and that will give you sponsorship.

In these politically correct times I am not allowed to ask if Luke is a boys name or a girls name. Hopefully you are a girl and not bad looking even though you are under the age of consent... the media is fine with that. Your parents will be in on it as well when they find out how much they will make selling your body. Or photos of it anyway.

If you are a boy that doesnt preclude you as the Pink press makes heaps these days. Unless you are ugly, of course. Then it doesnt matter if you are male or female, experienced or not, ugly gets you no where in media and fund raising.

I am ugly.

I had to buy my own boat.
Being ugly didn't stop you from being immortalized in on film. You just didn't sell yourself right for a boat deal.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2014, 02:32   #20

Boat: Wibo 1100 36 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeweiser View Post
I want to complete a solo circumnavigation in the upcoming years. The trouble is, Im 14. No one will take me seriously. But I'm serious and am currently planning and raising cash. I am looking at a Seidelmann 37, is that a good boat to sail? Can you single-hand this boat? Also, I still don't know what kind of autopilot to purchase for a boat with 16,500 of displacement. Maybe a wind vane? And what kind of electronics do I need besides a chart plotter, electric autopilot, and radar?

Thanks
I was only slightly older than you are now when I started dreaming about a circumnavigation. Unfortunately I stopped dreaming about it for a couple of decades. But fortunately I'm back on the track.

If Laura Dekker, who was 14 years old when she began her circumnavigation can do it, then so can you. Of course Laura had a lot of experience and that's something you'll need before you start. I don't know how things work in the US, but over here (Netherlands) people join a sailing club, the club organizes trips to England, Scotland, Norway, the Azores, etc.) and members can join as crew.

Now, about your question: 37 ft is not something I would recommend. You should be able to control a boat under all conditions. I'd take something smaller.

Yes, you will need a windvane. Auto Pilots WILL break down.

Chart Plotters are not my thing, so I use paper charts. And forget Radar if you plan is to sail in the tropics. You won't need it there. Ever.

You'll need a AIS transponder (Vesper), GPS (bring a backup) and VHF.

Also an SSB + modem + laptop + winlink/sailmail (that way you'll have NavTex, communications and weather info.) Or Inmarsat if you have the budget for it.

And at least one EPIRB and a SART.

Finally a few pieces of advice:
- You're 14, so there's plenty of time to realize that dream. No need to force things. Just don't postpone it until you're over 45.
- Stay away from girls, unless you find one who is into sailing like you are. Otherwise you'll be 46 (like me) before you can start that circumnavigation.
- You're young. That means you think you're invulnerable. You are not. Minimize risk.
Draikhyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2014, 02:52   #21

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draikhyan View Post
Just don't postpone it until you're over 45.
What happens when you are over 45?
Old 24-10-2014, 03:02   #22

Boat: Wibo 1100 36 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
That's when I started to feel old and started to regret I had postponed my circumnavigation. I'll be leaving in 2016. Boat's almost finished, but I still need some work.
Draikhyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2014, 05:37   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

It was around 50 for me, difference between 20 and 30 was insignificant, 30 to 40 I could compensate by doing things smarter, but 50 was about the time I had to admit I wasn't 20 anymore and didn't heal like I used to.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2014, 05:56   #24

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Oh, shut up, you!

That's the whole point. After 45, nothing happens. Try hard as one might.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2014, 06:16   #25

Boat: PT-11

You guys are like fish biting at a bare hook

Sent from my SM-T210R using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2014, 12:19   #26

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
It was around 50 for me
50? I think I remember 50....
45? not so much.....
Old 25-10-2014, 15:07   #27

Well thanks most of you. I think that the fact that I asked a serious question and your all concerned what my brothers name is is degrading and pointless. Most of you are obviously to stupid to read the first couple of words I posted, one of which said that I was 14, the other said that I wanted to sail around the WORLD. Stop bothering me about my dreams about what I want to do with my life.
Lukeweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2014, 15:15   #28
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

OK, the knocks you will getting at sea will be a 'ella lot harder than the ones just received on this thread.

Regardless of the intent of the other party, use it as some gentle training to what you will need to overcome in the years ahead.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2014, 16:13   #29

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman

Talk to Tania

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2014, 16:33   #30

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeweiser View Post
Well thanks most of you. I think that the fact that I asked a serious question and your all concerned what my brothers name is is degrading and pointless. Most of you are obviously to stupid to read the first couple of words I posted, one of which said that I was 14, the other said that I wanted to sail around the WORLD. Stop bothering me about my dreams about what I want to do with my life.
That's lippy. Lippy is OK in my book if associated with other traits. Like good spelling. A foreigner can try. A native should be able too.

Get over it, mate. Be a whale. Sift. Get to the krill of wisdom and expel the watery thing thru the gills. I bet you know they do not have any.

You may be 14. Others here may be anything from twice to sevenfold your age. We all made our mistakes and we are still making them. If some are trying to persuade you to try and avoid some pretty obvious pitfalls, lay it on their good will, not on messing you up. In fact, there is very little manhood wagging on this forum. There is none when you are well offshore and the shaving foam hits the ventilator. Trust me on this.

Posting and reading is the easy part. Sailing is the tough one. And today we are not sailing, are we. But one sure can learn every day, also today.

Take it from someone who has. As well as a couple of other brave and stupid things. Not all of which he would do again. Like missing the learning opportunities. Like today.

Take care, watch your mouth, fair winds!
barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation