Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2003, 07:18   #1
Ex-captain

Boat: FP Belize 43 cat (2001)
Question Insurance for a circumnavigation

I'm going cruising around the World for some years. Any suggestions on what insurance company to use for a 43' catamaran - mostly in tropical and sub-tropical waters?

I hear many cruisers use Pantaenius - are they the best choice?

Gisle
Gisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2006, 01:33   #2

Insurance _Pantaenius

For some reason Pantaenius has a good reputation, however, certainly not for those whom have had insurance with them. I recently sunk my boat in Europe and they have simply been disgusting. Four months later and they have still paid nothing and twice stated they would not pay anything at all- I had a no claim history with them for nine years....nice people.
opus 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2006, 04:46   #3

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
Gisle:

It's disappointing to hear reports like the one Opus 4 gives us...but claims results are one key benchmark I think you should be using (along with financial rating and country in which the firm operates). A friend recently came back to Turkey to find his boat flooded out; major damage. Pantaenius gave him quick settlement, chose to avoid subabrogation and he's very satisfied. Collecting just this kind of info, both + and -, and then going back to the carrier with your specific Q's to winnow out where they might not be as responsive as you'd like is your only real pre-claim option.

FWIW there was much grumbling in Horta the year we crossed to Europe about Pantaenius. The gist of the discussion was that they went thru a rough patch of claims and, apparently because they weren't adequately reinsured, they were not as reponsive to claims as they previously had been. This was the same point in time when they withdrew from the N American market (they apparently will not continue coverage for you, once you reach the Caribbean) and the intervening years seem to find them being more positive in honoring claims. It seems to be a moving target, and the best you can do is get clear on what is knowable today and then sail with prudence and care, hoping you don't have to 'use' your premiums.

Good luck on the run!

Jack
Old 29-04-2006, 10:19   #4

I agree with Jack, the only problem is that it is very difficult to attain this information.

I am now on hard standing in Port St Louis France and have been speaking to boats from three ports here about my problems. I must say that I am also with said firm through Denmark. I met another Swedish boat whom were fighting them also because their motor overheated and expirted and they are not receiving any money after they agreed per phone that the cost would be covered. Pantaenius aparently stated that the bill was too high and that they should have sent the motor back from France to Scandinavia.

Another story from a German guy down here was that he was anchored in the Balliarics and someone stole his boat- he also never received a cent because the company concerned stated that he should have had someone watching the boat.

Most Sweedish people I speak to (because Pantaenius are very big in scandinavia and Germany) already know the story of the guy whom was off the north coast of Africa, lost both his wife and his boat and stated that he also was not covered. The case ended up in court (in Germany I believe) taking two years before he gained some satisfaction.(sic) He was aparently supported by other sailors in fighting them with costs.

They have also apparently been letting a lot of boats off their lists in England for no aparent reason after years of being covered.The figure I heard was 20,000. This has aparently been raised with the British Sailing Associations to no avail.

If you want to know how good they are just read their nice once yearly information brochure.I use to enjoy it knowing that I too would be covered. Unfortunately I never knew any of this information before.

After just spending three months cleaning mud off everything I own Jack and throwing away every electrical item I owned etc. at this stage I wish I was your friend.

Kindest Regards
opus 4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation