Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2009, 11:06   #76

Boat: Hans Christian 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mata'irea View Post
I keep my costume jewelry in a velvet lined leather jewelry roll. My wedding ring and engagement ring are stored someplace similar to the sanitary pad box idea mentioned above. The idea being that a thief would grab the roll and assume that they got it all.
Thanks for your suggestion, do you have a link for the one you use or that's similar to it? Many thanks!
Red Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:19   #77
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Jewelry Rolls:
Jewelry Roll - Compare Prices, Reviews and Buy at NexTag - Price - Review

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 21:31   #78

Boat: Bristol 35 - Bellesa
When I was in college, I wanted a "safe" while living in student housing. I had a textbook that I no longer needed, and could not resell back to the bookstore. Using a box cutter and a ruler, I basically hollowed out the center of this book, then used a glue stick to glue the pages together. I left about twenty pages in the front of the book unglued. Using pieces of colored cloth, I would roll my necklaces, etc. in the cloth and put it in the hollowed center of the book. (I knew what was in the little bundle by the color.) Then my safe went on the bookshelf with all of the other books.

I do think that you should look at what you have, then find a way to put it in plain sight. A solo book would not work, but it would work well if you had a small shelf of books and ensured you had a similar title. My problem with soup cans is that small label changes can outdate your hiding place fast. And the rattle as you have very little space in the cans.

I'm no expert, but my jewelry was safe in school. I got the idea from some old movie that was on the much-too-late show.

~Kathleen
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:00   #79
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Nice first post, Kathleen. Welcome to the Forum! Good to have another Bay sailor joining us.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:06   #80

Kathleen, I gotta tell my wife about your idea as she is very paranoid about her precious and beloved jewelry which of course I don't get.

There are tons of place to stash small items like tools and I can't find them when I want one even looking in all the usual places.

I would think an empty cereal box would work fine with the gems in a plastic case buried in granola and actually can be used for cereal. Yummy!
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:57   #81
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
My problem with soup cans is that small label changes can outdate your hiding place fast. And the rattle as you have very little space in the cans.

I'm no expert, but my jewelry was safe in school. I got the idea [hollowed-out book] from some old movie that was on the much-too-late show.

~Kathleen
Hi Kathleen,

Welcome to the Forum - we're glad you've joined us. I must have seen that same late-night movie, I guess - it sure sounds familiar.

The soup can will work (good point about label changes) if you add extra stuff to both soften the movement and add weight. I use plastic grocery bags for softening bulk, and add rolled coins to make the weight close to what the label says.

Works for frozen items like OJ, too, but without the right contents (liquid), they don't have the same "feel" and frozen condensation on the outside.

TaoJones
Old 04-08-2009, 09:16   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
The only jewelry I have onboard is a sliding tool cabinet drawer filled with a lot of very expensive stainless steel deck hardware. Ironically, I call it the "jewelry box". It really is a pretty thing to behold...all this shiny expensive metal.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:20   #83

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch
A girl needs her adornments and/or bling...just because I have been known to strip the teeth off the gears in a winch from pulling up a halyard, or I can skipper a 50 foot racing boat in some air...doesn't mean I don't want to look like a lady while doing it.

I have contemplated what will happen with my treasures when my Husband and I take to the waters...so I am not even living on the boat yet and I am already contemplating this...

I think I am either going to get a safe deposit box for my few gems and favourite pieces or I am going to give them to my Mom for safe keeping. As far as my less valuable pieces I think I will only choose a few to take because I don't want to obsess over losing things...

I like svHyLyte's invention...nice!

P.S. I plan to give myself a biweekly pedicure in a bucket, complete with salt scrub, pumice, and various shades of lacquer...mostly from the pink family...and what do you know...I don't think it is going to make me any less of a sailor or cruiser ;0)
High Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:30   #84

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Kathleen,

Great idea. Can't remember the movie/movies either.

To open up a can worms, it would also serve for a small side arm.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:35   #85

Kathleen - pure genius ;0)
Old 04-08-2009, 09:57   #86

When I posted I had only read the first page of posts not realizing that five more pages of posts were in existance - I was looking at an old session...Too funny!

I could sense the playful sarcasm of CSY Man's first post, but my inner girlie girl took over the keyboard and having only read the first three posts felt I needed to come to RC's defense...

didn't mean to stir the pot...

I do see the safety issues here...remember being on my honeymoon and the 'grasshoppers' literally jumping all over my husband walking to the bus because they wanted his cheepo, plastic watch...he just walked down the street all 6'2'' of him holding his very long arm up in the air...it was actually somewhat entertaining on one level, and sad on another...

So CSY man, your buying the beers??? I will bring my blue nail polish ;0)
Old 05-08-2009, 06:03   #87

Boat: Far From Turtle: 1980 Pearson 424 cutter rigged ketch
I'm impressed that a thread, posted by a woman on how to protect her jewelry on board, has become so popular that now, fine jewelry advertisements are shown above the thread when this thread is linked to. Impressive. The advertisers are paying attention to this website and what we are watching. I guess they figure people who can afford boats must have some disposable money.

Clearly this feminine thread has value, or the advertisers wouldn't be paying attention.

There are other things to hide on a boat besides jewelry.

Good job, Red Charlotte
First Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:07   #88

Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru
I am currently building the cabinets in the boat and would welcome ideas on where to build hiding places into them or the rest of the boat.
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 16:12   #89

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Charlotte View Post
so I'm interested to see how you ladies (or gents) store your jewelry.

Pawn Shop?

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 17:08   #90
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Stevens, be advised that during the zero tolerance tear-em-apart days of the 80's, the USCG issued a formal statement that any secret hiding places built into boats would be considered evidence of smuggling and grounds for action, unless you sent them formal written notification of where you'd built what.
Don't ask me after all these years if that's part of the USC or other statute, or simply past USCG policy, I just pass on the warning that any concealed compartments or spaces MAY cause seizure and intense search of your vessel.

Kotex boxes...soupcans...books...any two bit junkie in the US already has known about searching these places for decades. Sorry, guys, it just isn't that easy. Even dummy AC sockets are sold commercially for the purpose.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote