Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2009, 18:15   #1

Boat: Hans Christian 36'
How Do You Store Your Jewelry ?

I've always found that I like to have my jewelry displayed because it's pretty and easier to see my options. I'm not sure this is feasible on a boat, so I'm interested to see how you ladies (or gents) store your jewelry.
Red Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2009, 19:26   #2

Boat: 2007 Hunter 41
In a mounted safe.
sv-Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2009, 19:28   #3

Do you have a link for the one you use or suggest?
Old 22-04-2009, 19:35   #4

Boat: 2007 Hunter 41
Was an Xmas gift for Mystique -

Model: EW-B1 - In-Wall Safe

OUTSIDE DIMENSIONS HEIGHTWIDTHDEPTHWEIGHT17 3/4"16"3 3/4"36 lbsINSIDE DIMENSIONS HEIGHTWIDTHDEPTHN/AN/AN/ADETAILS: Automatic bolt retraction, Key bypass, 2 Shelves,
Carpet, Durable off white powder coat paint, (2) 7/8” Solid steel locking bolts, (4) Holes with mounting bolts, (2) Resettable 1-8 digit combo Our Price: $215.00
Quantity:
sv-Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2009, 20:30   #5
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Not sure cruisers have a storage problem for their jewerly.

In other words and if I have to explain:

Boats and cruising are so expensive that there is no money or jewlery left for "storing" on the boat.
Even if you had money left after the latest re-fit or engine overhaul you would not want to wear it late at night while wandering the waterfront in St. Thomas or Nassau.

The natives would be happy to cut your arm or throat to get the jewerly.
You would be better off to look "boat-poor", faded shorts and t-shirts, sandals and no jewerly, not even a cheap watch.

Try the naive "US tourist" look with gold and Rolexes attached to yer body in places like Kingston and Port-Au-Prince and your life-span can be measured in nano-seconds...

Quote:
How do you store your jewelry?
Surely this is a joke..
Old 22-04-2009, 20:34   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Surely this is a joke..
I don't remember the Cruisers board beings so full of mean-spirited posters. What has happened to the board?

No, it is not a joke. As you can see from the reply above. If you have nothing positive to add, then shove off.

I find myself continuously wondering why I try to join a community so full of unhelpful, grumpy, unfriendly individuals.
Old 22-04-2009, 20:46   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Surely this is a joke..
Nope, it was serious. If your wife ever posts on here I hope people treat her with more respect than a lot of this board treats mine.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2009, 23:20   #8

It's so interesting how different people perceive the same things.

Honestly, when I first saw the initial post I thought it was a joke, too, and was waiting for the punchline in a subsequent post, because there's so much talk on here -- and other sailing and travel forums -- about NOT wearing jewelry to avoid hassles.

Best,
Mike
MikeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2009, 23:55   #9

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Charlotte View Post
I've always found that I like to have my jewelry displayed because it's pretty and easier to see my options. I'm not sure this is feasible on a boat, so I'm interested to see how you ladies (or gents) store your jewelry.
I'm glad you posted...I rarely look in this category and glad I did. Personally, I would not have a safe but maybe a safety box where you can take it out of a cubby hole and display your treasures to your friends. You should have close to the same enjoyments in life on a boat as you do on shore.
As for wearing jewelry on shore in places you are unsure of...it may be best to check the situation out first. You are a good reminder to me that this is not just a forum for dudes...but women who are still girlie too. You are a gem yourself and I'm sure your husband agrees...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 03:00   #10

Charlotte,

My wife love aher little trinkets but doesn't display them in the home or on the boat. She keeps them hidden because she is very paranoid. I have no idea where it is, but it's not obvious so I suppose it works. They're not worth much but have lots of sentimental value. But yea they are very pretty.

We don't live aboard so this is not a real problem and so just takes a few items when we cruise on weekends. If we were moving a board she'd have a small safe bolted to the boat I suppose in the bilge.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 04:21   #11
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Charlotte View Post
I don't remember the Cruisers board beings so full of mean-spirited posters. What has happened to the board?

No, it is not a joke. As you can see from the reply above. If you have nothing positive to add, then shove off.

I find myself continuously wondering why I try to join a community so full of unhelpful, grumpy, unfriendly individuals.
RC,

Don't let it deter you. Members who lack tact, as it were, are truly a miniscule percentage of members here. Think about using the "Ignore" feature in your User CP. It's under "Settings and Options".
Old 23-04-2009, 05:43   #12

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
I think we need top define jewelry first. I have my few odds and ends in a small bamboo steamer basket (the kind you see in Asian grocery stores for making pot stickers). I lined it with cloth and use the 2 covered levels to toss in my jewelry. You can put a rubber band around the whole thing and then it won't spill underway.

But my jewelry is all handmade -- shells and beads and hemp cord and so on. Nothing of worth - no actual jewels in the jewelry collection. So I am not sure if this would work for you, but I wanted to throw it out there.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 06:36   #13

However rude you might consider the reply... it was honest.

You might consider storing your fine-metal jewelry in a safe deposit box at home, and buying local handmade pieces for travelling.

First, you support local business, and second, you remove yourself from possible theft and trouble. Even folks you might think are ok may be tempted to pilfer.
tami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 06:36   #14
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
I don't remember the Cruisers board beings so full of mean-spirited posters.
Means-spirited posters...?

I honestly thought this was a joke.

Never heard of cruisers worrying about storing jewelry on a boat.
Do a searh on this and other cruier/sailor forums and see if it has been talked of before...I doubt it, but I may be wrong.

Some stuff is best left at home.
Old 23-04-2009, 06:44   #15

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Little Things Count...

Dispite my disagreement with the practice, my wife likes to take along various earrings, etc. when we travel. So, I made a little rack with pegs that she can hang things on that fits on the inside face of the hanging locker door in the master cabin. This is covered by a matching sized piece of clear plastic of the type used on dodgers, fastened to the door along the top and with small twist-locks of the type used in canvass-work on the bottom corners to hold the plastic cover--and the contents of the rack--firmly in place when the door is closed. With this she can see what she wants and yet things don't go adrift.

Note that she does not wear any jewlery what-so-ever when the yacht is underway. We have a friend who lost her finger when the wedding ring she refused to remove while sailing got hooked by a freed sheet and pulled her hand into a turning block.

Never-the-less, sometimes it pays to try to keep one's wife/mate happy aboard. Usually it doen't take that much, eh?

s/v HyLyte

PS: We also have a "Penalty Box" aboard. Jewlery and such left loose about the ship--particularly in the head where it can find its way into the sink drains--goes in the penalty box and cannot be recovered until the end of a cruise!
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote