Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2009, 03:48   #46

I would think if you have a gear like photography equipment or jewelry and you want to secure it, you need to use some deception. A cabinet or locker with a keyed lock will only encourage a theif to bust it and look inside.

What might be better is a false back or bottom which would not give a theif the idea that it's anything but a bulkhead or part of the boat. To be really secure make it a double false back and place some hise or wires between the two which can conceal the screws and will / might deter someone who suspects that there is a volume behind the false back or bottom.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2009, 05:23   #47
Back to the game

Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
CSY can you ship my beet to Puerto Rico? I need it for the upcoming caribbean passage to Cartagena de Indias, where "no jewelry" should be worn and still one of the most beautiful places and city in the planet as per Unesco
Old 24-04-2009, 05:44   #48
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Charlotte, I have a safe on board my boat but use it only as a ruse: in order to fool potential thieves its contents include our current passports (certified copies kept elsewhere will get you by, if necessary, until you can obtain replacements), a small stash of cash (about $500.00 USD), an apparently current credit card (get one with an expiry date well down the road and cancel it), plus some inexpensive jewelry with faux diamonds etc. The fact that they are in a safe, and the fact that the contents seem to be (and in the case of the passports, are) valuable, should satisfy most thieves that they have found your real stash of valuables.

A display case for your jewelry, while something that all women prefer, is a recipe for disaster: keep them hidden. We have avoided the 'fake' cleaner containers as they are now pretty well known, even by thieves in the third world. Further, a simple 'shake' of the container will prove to be a dead giveaway. We have a large, clear, wide-mouth plastic container filled with old machine screws, washers etc: a layer of screws is placed on the bottom, a smaller container with the jewelry is inserted, and screws are then poured along the sides and top to conceal it.

Hardly convenient, but then again, if you have jewelry that has any significant value (in monetary or sentimental terms), I would suggest that your first priority should be to keep it secure. You can always spread them out on an appropriate velvet lined tray when you are selecting what you want to wear.

As to when and where to wear jewelry, from your posts I sense that you are a bright and sensible woman who intends to use discretion. Despite what others may have written, I believe that there are destinations available to cruisers where jewelry can be both safely and appropriately worn.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2009, 06:28   #49
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
What I have seen is a false air duct hose. Wedged in between 2 walls, and looks like part of the boat. Especially if it is down in a passageway, or the bilge. Cost about 3-5 $s....deception works well......i2f

P.S. don't be hard on CSY. He's got a good, and helpful heart. He's just more direct than most. If you was in a fix he's the kind of guy that would give you a KNOWLEDGABLE hand.....IMHO
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2009, 12:00   #50

Boat: Buizen 48
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Maggie always kept our 'cash stash' in a package of feminine napkins (pads). Could work for other small valuables.
Now that's what I call "thinking outside the square" (no negative pun implied).

However, in this time of "female equality" and men having had to adapt to it, I might be forgiven for thinking there is perhaps a higher percentage of female thiefs out there, and now even male thiefs would not hesitate to look in a packet of pads ... but I still think its a creative idea.
BlueSovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2009, 12:11   #51

This thread has resulted in my thinking beyond the original post. In a generic way of thinking it's really about "how do you secure from theft any/all valuables".

With that in mind, here's a thought I just had: in the bilge/engine area of most yachts there are so many wires/hoses going to/from black boxes and/or tanks, why not just add another "empty for storing valuables" small black box or tank with some wires or hoses running to and from it (which harmlessly end behind a real box/tank???

I had originally intended to move a small house safe on to the yacht prior to my next off-shore trip. However, now I think I will implement my above idea!
Old 24-04-2009, 12:39   #52
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Charlotte View Post
I've always found that I like to have my jewelry displayed because it's pretty and easier to see my options. I'm not sure this is feasible on a boat, so I'm interested to see how you ladies (or gents) store your jewelry.
I was curious as to why this thread had grown rapidly since I had decided yesterday not to read it

I can't say I would wander around the 3rd (or 1st!) world with Jewellery on permanent display onboard (or on person) - but each to their own. But if important (or simply desired) no reason why onboard you couldn't have a "Nice" jewellery case / cabinet - just not permanently open to view by allcomers......kinda like the booze locker

The only jewellery I have is my wedding ring, presently on my finger - in due course will be around my neck. If I had any other jewellery onboard (or a stash of gold sovereigns. which I don't have onboard either) I wouldn't be posting about it on the internet, nor describing my security arrangements. nor would I mention that I had buried the sovereigns on a Caribbean Island. in a chest and now had a map onboard that revealed it's location with an X..........

........doh!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2009, 18:53   #53
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
I was curious as to why this thread had grown rapidly since I had decided yesterday not to read it
Aye, ya were smart to stay away, nothing but angry women who does not want yer advice (and a few angry gay men) around here.

Quote:
P.S. don't be hard on CSY. He's got a good, and helpful heart. He's just more direct than most. If you was in a fix he's the kind of guy that would give you a KNOWLEDGABLE hand.....IMHO
Thanks for the kind words:
Guess we have gone full circle here: All the way from being called mean-spirited, grumby, unhelpful, unfriendly and lacking tact and respect for others, to good and helpful heart.

At any rate, I forgot that common sense does not rule and for that I stand corrected. "My bad" as they say these days.

Quote:
As to your initial reaction to CSY's comments, I personally think this forum has been infected by a cancer embracing too much of the world: "PC gone wild". Thus a quote which I suggest most posters on here (including its moderator) remember:

“If you are out to describe the truth, leave elegance to the tailor” -
Albert Einstein
Oops, there is common sense on the board, perhaps there is a hope after all...?

Quote:
As for CSY, he needs to be a little more observant. Read this forum for more then a day or two, and you will find PLENTY of people who DO have enough money for REAL jewelry AND cruising.
Aye, my bad again: I can only relate to living aboard and cruising based on personal experience and on friends/neigbhor's experience doing the same. None of my cruising friends every had excess money to buy jewelry and worrying about where to store it on the boat.
ALL the money went to boat/living/surviving/cruising-kitty, etc.

Perhaps nowadays there is dot-com millionaires who can do it all, but my kind of cruisers ain't looking for no $850,000 catamaran with storage for the diamonds..

Quote:
I'm going with CSY man on this ..... after all, he's offered to buy the beer!
Smart guy..probably from Mars.

Quote:
CSY can you ship my beet to Puerto Rico?
Ship the beer to Puerto Rico...?
Sure, but you will have to drink it with me...Stay tuned, I'll be there sooner of later.
Old 25-04-2009, 06:49   #54
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
CSY,

I said you were a good guy. I said nothing about tact...lololololol.....i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2009, 11:04   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
CSY,

I said you were a good guy. I said nothing about tact...lololololol.....i2f
Read my quote:
Old 25-04-2009, 13:55   #56

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood
In the interest of personal safety I would limit the amount of valuable you carry on your boat and give thought to the people you are around and how they view your welth
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2009, 14:45   #57

Boat: Endeavour40 - MOBETAH
CSY man,

Form Mars, hell, I'm from Georgia!
mobetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2009, 20:13   #58
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
I said you were a good guy. I said nothing about tact...
Tact..? Must be from Venus..Not my language.

Quote:
Form Mars, hell, I'm from Georgia!
No tact there either..?
Old 27-04-2009, 11:29   #59

Boat: 27' Norsea
Send a message via Yahoo to jwidahonurse
This is crazy.......I could swear this was the women afloat sight....where did the women go? It seems the men have taken over.....again.
jwidahonurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2009, 12:11   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwidahonurse View Post
This is crazy.......I could swear this was the women afloat sight....where did the women go? It seems the men have taken over.....again.
We just like it better where the women are, talking to a bunch of guys gets old after a while.

Plus, this is a pretty good thread and I'm keeping tabs to see if I can steal a good idea from one of the ladies. There are lots of places to sail where it is safe and entirely appropriate for a woman to wear jewelry, and my wife is one of those who do. Sometimes it's really nice to dress well for an evening ashore in a nice restaurant or at a yacht club, and we keep clothes and accessories aboard for the occasion.

Pardon the intrusion, while this is the ladies section, I hope it isn't "Ladies Only".
Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote